Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: New to Hunting and learning so I can teach my son!

CTHS Supportor Horizontal Hunter's Avatar
    Images
    Welcome to the forum Coby. Lots of great advice above. The only thing I can add is to take a map and compass orienteering course. It is one of the best things you can do to learn how to navigate in the woods. I know the Mass DFW offers one, and it is free, I would expect that the CT DEEP offers something similar.

Bob
    Vegetarian: vejiˈte(ə)rēən/noun: old Indian word for lousy hunter.
    Excalibur Exocet, GT Laser II, 2" Bhoning Blazers 125g NAP Spitfire

Spikehorn
    Images

Went out today

I spent 6 hours out today everywhere from waterbury waterville park area all the way up to the powerlines in wolcott by Hancock. I have spent alot of time in the woods enjoying myself but until you start looking for tracks and markings, you miss alot! I found so many different trails today full of tracks all different tracks, heard a couple of turkeys, found a few amazing spots for setting up camp and all and all the advice to sit, shut up, and learn was the best advice as of yet! Thank you, you would think that would have been the most obvious approach, but I seem to get ahead of myself because I get over excited to try something new. Thanx again for all the advice!

Images
    It's easy to miss the forest for the trees! Here's an obvious tip that I learned last year, that was common sense after I heard it...you know hind sight 20/20! During Pre-Rut/Rut hunt close to the bedding area's in the morning, the bucks will be cruising looking for hot does, in the evening concentrate on food sources as that's where the does will be..the bucks will then be cruising near them looking for the does....it makes a lot of sense, and seems obvious....but I completely forgot/ignored, until last year, and it helped me tag a scrub 6Pt early one morning, off State Land.

~ Van
    I suffer from seasonal depression.....If it's not hunting season...I'm depressed! -- ME!

14 pointer Feed Mo Champion Quinnsolo12's Avatar
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by vanbowhunts View Post
    the first time you see a buck your probably going to get short of breath, and think the deer is going to hear your heart beating through your chest.....practice taking deep breaths to try to control your nerves.
    ~ Van
    Haha this still happens to me. Welcome to the forum. Lot of knowledge here. Any questions ask away. I have the opposite story of you... I started hunting/learning so that I could teach my dad. Good luck.

To succeed where others fail, go where others fail to go.