Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: New to Hunting and learning so I can teach my son!

Spikehorn
    Images

Question New to Hunting and learning so I can teach my son!

I just started hunting this year my son decided he no longer wants to fish and wants to learn to hunt turkey instead. Right now he is 8 so he has some years to go but in the meantime I can learn all I can so I can pass it on, and I have been searching for someone who is willing to take some time and show me some of the ins and outs. I will be firearm hunting and would like to dabble in all seasons with no bias as of yet. I learn quick and know to keep my mouth shut and listen to what people have to say, so if anyone is interested in giving me a hand I would greatly appreiciate it! I was just out in mattatuck state forest searching for some places to park my butt, and found no signs of turkeys in the area I was visiting. So if anyone has any suggestions on where I could go near Waterbury I would forever be in your debt. Hope to hear from someone soon, and if someone would like to go out with me and show me first hand what to do I can supply ammo, and lunch maybe more if you let me know what you would like. I also wouldnt mind meeting a hunting buddy to head out with from time to time, right now I have plenty of time to head out just need someone to go with...

Coby - Welcome to the forum! This is just the place to find what you're looking for. I don't live in CT right now, but I'm sure someone on here can give you some excellent advice and show you around.
    Goodluck & Shoot Straight

Images
    Welcome to the forum Coby i am sure someone here will be willing to help you out ,i live to far away from you to help .
    Shoot a Coyote save a Fawn

Images
    Welcome to the site. If you want to get on turkeys in Mattatuck start scouting near the dam. Scout both sides of the road. There are birds there. I'm not hunting it this year. But I know they hang in that area. Good luck , you probably won't see much this late in the season on state land but check it out.
    The Will Can Not Be Broken

Super Moderator Deadeye Logun S16 Champion, Backyard Shootout Champion TooManyHobbies's Avatar
    Images
    Welcome Cody. That's pretty cool learning to hunt for your son. You will both be better off for it. Before you know it, you will be hunting turkeys, deer, waterfowl and whatever else is in season.
    NOBODY EVER SHOT BAMBI....they shot his momma.

Images

Welcome

Welcome! This is a awesome site and a great group of guys. There's a lot of knowledge on here. Guys will help you out. All tho many times it's frustrating to figure this game out by yourself.. It's also fun and interesting to do it on your own. As I have and sure many on here, you will learn from your mistakes than anything else. To this day I think we all learn something new everytime we go out. Good luck and don't give up!
    "I wanna know how many homeless people PETA has fed"

Spikehorn
    Images

Thank you for the warm welcome

@dive4blood Your talking about Hancock right? Im headed there tomorrow so hopefully I am lucky and I spot some birds. I think the most confusing is where to go I think I have alot of everything else down after reading for the past year or so, Just confused on DEP's maps.

Forkhorn
    Go out, by yourself, into the woods, and just sit there. Don't move and observe "everything that takes place within sight and hearing" as the saying goes.

Become one with the woods and its creatures, and learn their ways.

It takes time and effort, which many are too anxious and impatient to put forth.

If your kid can be still for longer than 15 minutes, take him with you, if not leave him home.

Try it, you will be amazed by what you see if you are either very still or well hidden.

Good luck.

Quote Originally Posted by RCG View Post
    Go out, by yourself, into the woods, and just sit there. Don't move and observe "everything that takes place within sight and hearing" as the saying goes.

Become one with the woods and its creatures, and learn their ways.

It takes time and effort, which many are too anxious and impatient to put forth.

If your kid can be still for longer than 15 minutes, take him with you, if not leave him home.

Try it, you will be amazed by what you see if you are either very still or well hidden.

Good luck.

Totaly on point! The more time you spend out, the more you see the little things! It's ALWAYS about the little things!
    As for the Maps, If you have a Droid or Iphone or phone that has apps! I use the Google Maps APP that came with my phone. It shows nearly ALL of the state land in any state I have been in! It will be in Green! Or you can try google maps online and Acme Mapper both show State land! Free!
    " Bowtech RPM 360 70#, Bowtech Invasion 60# Carbon Express Red, Carbon Express Maxima Hunter, Carbon Express F15, GrimReaper SS, Rage Hyperdermic"

Images
    Welcome to the forum Coby, There is a wealth of knowledge here...we're glad your here, and hope that we can be of help. Best advice I can give is, enjoy each hunt...no matter the outcome...it's called hunting, not killing, always take away something you learned, or saw from each hunt...it's not about the kill, but about the hunt...as long as you keep that in perspective you will have a lifetime of hunting pleasure! While there is a vast amount of knowledge here, we still continue to learn all of us, each time we take to the field....you can draw things up in your head, and sometimes those hunts will happen just like you drew them up, but more times than not, they don't as you can't interpret what action a wild animal will do....

Move little as possible, keep the wind in your face, and practice, practice, practice some more...and when you think your good enough...practice some more...if your archery hunting, shoot standing up, shoot sitting down, shoot kneeling, shoot from your tree stand, visualize each shot....the first time you see a buck your probably going to get short of breath, and think the deer is going to hear your heart beating through your chest.....practice taking deep breaths to try to control your nerves.

Best of luck, and we are looking forward to your success stories!

~ Van
    I suffer from seasonal depression.....If it's not hunting season...I'm depressed! -- ME!