Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Sunday Huting Bill History since 2007

Latest I am hearing is that we will lose 9-10 days of waterfoul hunting if Sunday hunting is allowed. While I don't want to lose any hunting days, I would accept that as a condition of Sunday hunting as I would still almost double my deer hunting days. I primarily hunt deer on weekends only and waterfoul during the week. So Sunday hunting means I will have a lot more deer hunting time but probably only lose up to 3 actual waterfoul hunting days. Fair exchange to me.

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by swalter View Post
    Nothing like regulations to get in the way; this is from the DEEP in an email about waterfowl regs for next season.

"One issue I will touch on is that of Sunday hunting. Any Sunday hunting bill that allows hunting of migratory game birds takes away our compensatory days. I mention this because the current bill is for Sunday hunting on private land only. This type of regulation will negatively affect every single hunter that hunts on public land (coast, rivers, WMA's, SF's, etc). We will effectively lose 9-10 days of waterfowl hunting. Sunday hunting bills must include all lands in the state, or exclude migratory game birds or else most of us lose opportunity."

I guess Sunday Hunting needs to be all or nothing, otherwise it's kind of a kick to the face of waterfowlers.
    So does that mean there will actually be fewer days of waterfowl hunting than in the past or just days that could or should be gained?

Federal regulations currently allow a 60 day season for the Atlantic flyway. Each state is allowed to structure their season dates based on this. So in the past CT's 60 day waterfowl season excluded Sundays since hunting was closed on those days. If they allow Sunday hunting on private land then the season would not be able to run as long due to 6 or 7 Sundays now taking up a slot of the total 60 days. They could either shorten the early season in October and add days to the late season or open the late season later in November. Depending on where in the state you hunt, the later part of the season tends to be better as the colder weather brings fresh birds. Either way adding Sundays to the waterfowl season means less days for those without private land access. However, I am for legalizing waterfowl on Sundays as it is a start. It would just require altering the current season layout.

Would it make sense to close waterfowl hunting on an equal number of Wednesdays in exchange for Sundays?

Images
    I would like to see hunting open to all lands on Sundays for people like myself that hunt state land in CT.

Is the new law proposed related to deer hunting only?

I am not a waterfowl hunter, so educate me here. Are all the duck blinds on shore considered public land, or are some of the blinds I see actually private property?

If you are on the water, wouldn't that prevent you from gun hunting on Sundays because it is "public" property?

To me it really is a mess having to pick and choose what, where, and how you can hunt Sunday , when you can do it any other day of the week.

I wish they would just be done with this and open everything 7 days a week like almost every other state in the country.

Speaking for myself, I never supported the Sunday hunting laws because they served a select few class of whitetail bowhunters.

The supporters were saying they would continue to fight for the rest of us after they got the foot in the door with what they wanted, but they hit the woods and left everyone else behind.

I live on the RI border, so I hunt out of state on Sundays. I wish CT would change Sunday hunting, bag limits, and the tag system to follow what RI does.
    The Will Can Not Be Broken

Quote Originally Posted by Dive4Blood View Post
    I would like to see hunting open to all lands on Sundays for people like myself that hunt state land in CT.

Is the new law proposed related to deer hunting only?
    Its my understanding that the sunday bill will apply to all hunting. That's why waterfoulers will be unhappy because it will shorten most people's hunting season without adding Sundays for them unless they have private land.

I am not a waterfowl hunter, so educate me here. Are all the duck blinds on shore considered public land, or are some of the blinds I see actually private property?
    Technically you cant erect a permanent blind on state land. It happens though. Anywhere the water can normally touch is considered public land. So high tides all the way up the CT river up to the Enfield dam is considered fair game unless otherwise noted.

If you are on the water, wouldn't that prevent you from gun hunting on Sundays because it is "public" property?
    Correct

To me it really is a mess having to pick and choose what, where, and how you can hunt Sunday , when you can do it any other day of the week.

I wish they would just be done with this and open everything 7 days a week like almost every other state in the country.

Speaking for myself, I never supported the Sunday hunting laws because they served a select few class of whitetail bowhunters.

The supporters were saying they would continue to fight for the rest of us after they got the foot in the door with what they wanted, but they hit the woods and left everyone else behind.

I live on the RI border, so I hunt out of state on Sundays. I wish CT would change Sunday hunting, bag limits, and the tag system to follow what RI does.
    My answers are above in Red. I agree with you, they should be done with this. But just like with Sunday archery only, we need to support this as its another baby step toward allowing all hunting on Sundays. Yes it will be a bit of a wack to waterfoul hunting but in the long run it will be worth it because I think the next step after that is to allow all hunting 7 days a week on public and private lands.
    If we don't support this it will be even longer till that happens.

Super Moderator Deadeye Logun S16 Champion, Backyard Shootout Champion TooManyHobbies's Avatar
    Images
    Correct

Not necessarily
    . Some waters are landlocked by private land or associations. It may also allow access via private lands, i.e. rivers, etc. I think it may be a gray area that needs definition.
    NOBODY EVER SHOT BAMBI....they shot his momma.

You are correct it would be a gray area. As a lot of waterfowl hunters find, some waters may be state owned both in access and body of water, but may still be land locked by private property. It would mean a private land hunter would be legally hunting until he/she drops a bird in the state-owned water.

Originally when I heard of the proposal my mind went to goose hunting corn fields as nearly all of my water hunting would be considered state land. Maybe the fact that waterfowl would be so convoluted if this law passes will force them to open Sunday hunting on state land pertaining to just waterfowl. Otherwise I feel bad for the DEEP rep who has to explain all of these things to the lawmakers. A lot of wasted breath.
    Last edited by Mallard870; 03-11-2017 at 07:55 PM.

I wasn't really thinking about small ponds. What I said applies to rivers and major lakes. But even lakes vary from town to town with ordinances, ownership and such.
    If you are on river water or anywhere the tide can go to, your in a public area.

That was my understanding as well. Hence why it is legal to stand waist deep in a state-owned body of water or hunt out of a boat adjacent to a privately owned shore without landowner permission and be legal (6 days out of the week). I didn't mention tidal areas as they are clearly defined as state-owned land.

I'm not really that confident that our legislators will pass the general Sunday hunting bill anyway so this is most likely a lot of "what-ifs". Hope I'm wrong about that part.