Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Sunday Huting Bill History since 2007

Images

Sunday Huting Bill History since 2007

I decided to review the Environmental Committee Sunday Hunting bills and their actions going back to 2007.

Many of these bills never make it anywhere and have zero action at all (proposed bills - HB - house Bill, SB - Senate Bill)), but at least you can use it to see who proposed them which is good seeing they are most likely on our side. Those bills that had committee action, you can actually go and view the vote tally sheets to see how the members voted and you will notice the trend of the same names always voting NO - Roy, urban, Mushisnky, etc). Bills that have had ACTION on them are in BOLD. The rest have had zero action.

It is not hard to research them using the government portal site (CT General Assembly) and searching through the committees. http://www.cga.ct.gov/asp/menu/Committees.asp The list below was found only searching Environmental committee as most of these Sunday Hunting bills will have to pass through this committee as I understand it.

Start from recent to previous years on bills only concerning Sunday Hunting

2012 - This is the one being discussed in this thread: http://www.cthuntingnshooting.com/vB...ting-Bill-2012
    RSB-83 - AN ACT AUTHORIZING BOW AND ARROW HUNTING ON SUNDAY UNDER CERTAIN CIRCUMSTANCES.

HB-5158 -AN ACT AUTHORIZING BOW AND ARROW HUNTING ON SUNDAY UNDER CERTAIN CIRCUMSTANCES.

HB-5129 - AN ACT ALLOWING SUNDAY HUNTING.
    HB-5128 - AN ACT PERMITTING SUNDAY BOW HUNTING ON PRIVATE LANDS.
    HB-5127 - AN ACT AUTHORIZING SUNDAY HUNTING ON PRIVATE PROPERTY.
    HB-5372 - AN ACT AUTHORIZING MUNICIPALITIES TO ALLOW SUNDAY HUNTING ON PRIVATE LANDS

No bills pertaining to Sunday Hunting

HB-5112 - AN ACT CONCERNING SUNDAY BOW AND ARROW HUNTING ON PRIVATE PROPERTY
    HB-5480 - AN ACT ALLOWING SUNDAY HUNTING.
    HB-5500 - AN ACT CONCERNING HUNTING ON PRIVATE LAND ON SUNDAY.
    HB-6553 - AN ACT CONCERNING SUNDAY HUNTING.

No Sunday hunting bills

HB-5120 - AN ACT CONCERNING BOW HUNTING ON PRIVATE LAND ON SUNDAY.

HB-5125 - AN ACT CONCERNING BOW HUNTING ON SUNDAY ON PRIVATE LAND.
    HB-5235 - AN ACT CONCERNING SUNDAY HUNTING.
    HB-5362 - AN ACT CONCERNING SUNDAY BOW HUNTING ON PRIVATE PROPERTY.
    HB-5461 - AN ACT CONCERNING SUNDAY HUNTING.
    HB-6568 - AN ACT PERMITTING SUNDAY HUNTING.
    RSB-1150 - AN ACT CONCERNING SUNDAY HUNTING.
    Visit my BLOG at: www.passinthruoutdoors.blogspot.com

check out some of my videos at: http://www.youtube.com/user/passinthru63

Sunday Hunting Dead!!!

Sportsmen have the votes for implementing Sunday Hunting!! Why didn’t it pass?

After a positive vote in the House of 107 to 19, 24 absent of which 12 committed to voting for the bill, it was then sent to the Senate and was ready for action on May 30. A vote count of the Senate showed 25 positive, some uncommitted, and a few negative. Almost all legislators counted were personally contacted. The bill with its overwhelming House vote and our Senate count could have passed it easily. Senate leadership, Sen. Williams and Looney, could have called the bill expecting little or no debate. They were visited by the Commissioner DEEP, the DEEP Deputy Commissioner, and the Governor promoting the bill. In addition, many House Leadership and legislators of both parties were pushing the bill. All apparently to no avail.

Many deals were being made between the House and the Senate to pass Sunday Hunting. Virtually every day we heard of trade offs promised. On the last day of the session the bill was still in limbo.

The fate of the Office of Early Childhood appears to have been tied up in the frenzy of last minute deal-making that, some say, paired its future with a bill permitting allowing bow and arrow hunting on Sunday. That's what Sen. Andrea Stillman, co-chairwoman of the Education Committee, said she was told when she talked to House Minority Leader Larry Cafero on Wednesday, the last day of the session.

"He did say, 'if you want the Office of Early Childhood called, then the Senate has to call the hunting bill," said Stillman. Cafero says the hunting bill, which he has tried to get passed for a decade or so, was a key element in some of the trading going on in the waning hours of the session, but he denied that it was directly linked to the chances for the Office of Early Childhood. "It was a combination of a whole bunch of things," Cafero said. "In my opinion, the Democrats didn't keep their word and unfortunately the early childhood bill fell victim." Advocates who worked countless hours over the last few months, honing the bill and earning seemingly universal support were dispirited by the news (On both bills)… But in the calculus of the last day of the legislative session, it was the widespread support of the early childhood bill that made it a valuable chit in the final hours. "You have to be careful. If somebody knows that something is important, they can use it to leverage and that's what happened this time,'' Stillman said.

Cafero said he made assurances to the governor, House Speaker Brendan Sharkey, and Williams that "if they keep their deal on all sorts of bills, I would ensure, from my end anyway, that I would do anything I could to help that early childhood bill go through in seconds, but they didn't call." He attributed the death of the bill to "certain people's stubbornness." … Williams, who has long opposed Sunday hunting, said he thinks the "public would be offended" if they knew that a bill like the early childhood bill "could be blocked and held hostage for minor legislation that is wholly unrelated." http://www.courant.com/news/education/hc-early-childhood-office-0608-20130607,0,3750419.story

In the last-minute crush of legislative business Wednesday, a bill that created the Office of Early Childhood died on the House calendar because, according to Democrats, the Senate refused to pass a bill that would allow Sunday bow hunting. Republicans countered that it was a ridiculous accusation.

According to Democratic lawmakers, House Republicans led by House Minority Leader Lawrence Cafero promised to filibuster the bill creating the Office of Early Childhood if the Senate Democrats led by Sen. President Donald Williams didn’t pass the bow hunting bill. “Republicans killed the early childhood initiative because they linked it to a completely unrelated and obscure issue — Sunday hunting,” Williams said Friday.

Cafero said that’s not entirely accurate. He said you can’t boil the issue down to one bill or another. He said the Democrats wasted time on the last day by trying to sneak language into a bill that moved up the date of when undocumented immigrants could apply for their driver’s licenses. That language was eventually removed, but in the meantime Republicans slowed down debate on the floor killing precious minutes in the final few hours of the session — the only power they have as a minority.
    “They can call a bill anytime they want,” Cafero said Friday. “They don’t have to wait until the last day.” http://www.ctnewsjunkie.com/ctnj.php/archives/entry/did_early_childhood_bill_fall_victim_to_sunday_bow _hunting/

Had the Sunday Hunting bill been called in the Senate, the confusion and accusations may have been nil. And it was not that they ran out of time – the Senate quit debate 17 minutes early to the 12PM deadline.

After nearly 20 years of attempting to get some form of Sunday Hunting passed (this bill is the minimum) the Coalition will pursue it again next year.

Images

Don Williams Must Go!

Folks these are the towns that Don Williams represents: Representing Brooklyn, Canterbury, Killingly, Mansfield, Putnam, Scotland, Thompson & Windham There are a lot of PRO 2A people in these towns, and he was also at the forefront in the fight for the gun bill....There must be someone from one of these towns ready to step up and oppose Don Williams in the next election! We need to take our State back from these gun grabbers, and legislators that think the Constitution is just a piece of paper that the general public doesn't care about!

If you know of a 3D shoot, a game dinner, any event where sportsmen will be attending, we need to bring awareness to them about this fight, and urge them to get out and vote, and to stand up for our Constitutional rights.

I can't believe how many people still are unaware of how the new gun laws will impact them.

If you've ever had the urge to get into politics now is the time to act!!! I will offer my assistance to anyone opposing Don Williams, in any way that I legally can to try to oust him from office.

We the sportsmen and women deserve better! It's time we band together and send a message to Hartford that we can and will make a difference!

~ Van
    I suffer from seasonal depression.....If it's not hunting season...I'm depressed! -- ME!

Super Moderator Deadeye Logun S16 Champion, Backyard Shootout Champion TooManyHobbies's Avatar
    Images
    Van for state Senate.

I'd love to see Simmons step up again.
    NOBODY EVER SHOT BAMBI....they shot his momma.

I got this today from NRA-ILA:
    On Monday, March 6, the Connecticut Joint Committee on Environment has scheduled a hearing for several hunting bills. Two bills, House Bill 5499 and Senate Bill 522, would expand hunting opportunities for Connecticut residents by legalizing firearm hunting on Sundays and creating a bear hunting season, respectively. Unfortunately, Senate Bill 942 would ban the importation, possession, sale, or transport of any legally acquired hunting trophies of African “Big Five” species.

Please contact the members of the committee and urge them to SUPPORT both HB 5499 and SB 522! Also, please urge them to OPPOSE SB 942.

Not sure if this link will work for everyone:

https://act.nraila.org/composeletters.aspx?AlertID=1532

Contact your legislators!

I just read about these bills. I would, as would just about anyone else, LOVE to be able to hunt sundays. I would be out every single sunday unless it was raining.
    Bear season would be great. I don't know if I would hunt bear a lot, but I would definitely shoot one every few years or so. I wonder what the bag limit would look like.
    So far all my goose hunting is public land, but I will be putting some effort into acquiring some private fields. We shall see.
    All my deer hunting last year was private land. I was considering archery on public lands in old lyme.

Here's a question!........In regards to bill 942, how would that effect people who have those animals hanging in there house? Moreover, how would that effect taxidermists in CT themselves...? Northeast taxidermy in middletown, although I don't deal with them, I do believe alot of their work comes from African animals. I wonder how this would effect them, or any other taxidermist in CT that works on these animals....

I would suspect that someone who has a lion head hanging on their wall wont have much to worry about. It says you cant import it. Prove that I haven't had it for 10 years....

Nothing like regulations to get in the way; this is from the DEEP in an email about waterfowl regs for next season.

"One issue I will touch on is that of Sunday hunting. Any Sunday hunting bill that allows hunting of migratory game birds takes away our compensatory days. I mention this because the current bill is for Sunday hunting on private land only. This type of regulation will negatively affect every single hunter that hunts on public land (coast, rivers, WMA's, SF's, etc). We will effectively lose 9-10 days of waterfowl hunting. Sunday hunting bills must include all lands in the state, or exclude migratory game birds or else most of us lose opportunity."

I guess Sunday Hunting needs to be all or nothing, otherwise it's kind of a kick to the face of waterfowlers.

Whatever happened to CT Coalition of Sportsman? They used to do a great job of tracking bills of interest and when was best to contact legislators