Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Connecticut Deer Numbers

Images

Connecticut Deer Numbers

So looking back over the course of the last 3 years...right from the DEEP website....here is the breakdown of Archery kills by year:

2009 - 4,718
    2010 - 4,670
    So far through Dec 21, 2011 - 4,034

So unless this last week produces a lot of deer, the Archery numbers will appear to be down this year.

I was shocked to see that my town (Voluntown) has a total of 35 deer tagged with archery tags, that doesn't seem like a lot to me for the number of hunters I see in the woods and the ones that I know that hunt Pachaug.

It will be interesting to see the breakdown for the other weapons compared to last year.

Here are the links if you are interested in looking for your town!

2011 Archery Kill Link: http://www.depdata.ct.gov/wildlife/h...rcheryDeer.asp
    2010 Connecticut Deer Program Summary http://www.ct.gov/dep/lib/dep/wildli.../deersum10.pdf

Enjoy!

~ Van
    I suffer from seasonal depression.....If it's not hunting season...I'm depressed! -- ME!

CTHS Supportor Horizontal Hunter's Avatar
    Images
    In Massachusetts they are saying that the numbers are up "considerably" form last year. The also reported seeing Elvis at the state house last week.

Bob
    Vegetarian: vejiˈte(ə)rēən/noun: old Indian word for lousy hunter.
    Excalibur Exocet, GT Laser II, 2" Bhoning Blazers 125g NAP Spitfire

Super Moderator Deadeye Logun S16 Champion, Backyard Shootout Champion TooManyHobbies's Avatar
    Images
    What a coincidence, hasn't this new tagging system been in effect for what....3 seasons?
    NOBODY EVER SHOT BAMBI....they shot his momma.

CTHS Supportor Horizontal Hunter's Avatar
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by TooManyHobbies View Post
    What a coincidence, hasn't this new tagging system been in effect for what....3 seasons?
    Not much of a coincidence IMO. Sadly were are going to a nearly identical system in 2012. It is a poachers dream come true.

Our doe tags are done by zone to "better control" the herd. The zone will not matter if you do not have to check them in. In the past the DEP caught more than a few guys checking in a deer that was still warm and bleeding that was supposedly taken in a zone a few hours away.

Bob
    Vegetarian: vejiˈte(ə)rēən/noun: old Indian word for lousy hunter.
    Excalibur Exocet, GT Laser II, 2" Bhoning Blazers 125g NAP Spitfire

6 deer were taken on my clubs property in Voluntown during firearms seasons so far. That's about average.

Super Moderator/ CTHS Supporter Fishin` Fun 2 Champion, Turtleshot Champion, chopper2 Champion, Dead Eye - Hardcore Champion, Counterstrike - Lite Champion MoodusHunter's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by TooManyHobbies View Post

I don't agree with you and wanted to back up my opinion with numbers not my thoughts so I went and looked at the seasons prior to the new license system:
    2004: 3334
    2005: 3006
    2006: 3158
    2007: 2924
    2008: 3608

So using your logic more people are tagging their deer not less!!!

Super Moderator/CTHS Supporter Space Invaders Champion, Breakout Champion, Turbocharged Penguins! Champion StoneCrusher's Avatar
    Images
    I agree with Moodus. There is no factual data that supports the theory of the new tagging system causing an increase in illegal deer kills. Poachers will be poachers no matter how you slice it.

If you look only at the harvest numbers; one could theorize that the new tagging system is permitting paochers to actually report their deer kills.

Prior, paochers would make the illegal kill on non-permittted private land or after dark. They would not report it for obvious rasons. Now a licensed paocher can still kill a deer at night or on property that they have no permission; but now can report the kill(but list it on land that they do have permission to hunt or report it at a time during daylight hours.

Images
    I like the new tag system, it is convenient. I view tagging and reporting as not just our obligation, but our duty to ensure we will have a huntable deer herd I the future. There always has been, and always will be poachers.

But if DEEP determines the new tagging system is being widely abused, I have no problem going back to the old tags. I'd love to see CT go to a earn a buck system. You have to shoot a doe and check it in to get your buck tag.

This year has been a slower year in the FORESTS for deer hunting, and its been like that since the acorns were consumed in early October. So it will be reflected in the harvest count. I was amazed at how few shots I heard during the gun seasons, and I hunt both Ct and RI regularly. Their numbers are down also.

My biggest concern is the amount of new hunters throwing bait in front of cameras, and shooting their first buck without really earning it. In the long run they are missing out on a lot of hunting experience and woodsmanship. Not naming names, but I've seen guys post trail cam pics of bucks over bait outside of zones 11 + 12 during the season. Then they shoot the buck and people are patting them on the back. I've seen these guys pose with their deer surrounded by bait corn on the ground! To me that's poaching and it suprises me that no one else has noticed it. That worries me.

There are still plenty of deer in this state. I think it would take more than the previous two years of bumper acorn crops and this year of very little, to prove that the numbers are down.
    The Will Can Not Be Broken

I agree that the population is healthy. This year was an anomaly food and weather were off.. The deer are still here they just changed their routine.

Images
    A guy who hunts the same Farm I do in NW corner was stopped by DEEP last week and the CO said the winter kill was to blame for the low Deer #'s.
    The Coyotes were feasting on the younger deer as they couldnt run in the deep snow.
    It will take 3-5 years to get the #'s back where they were.