Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Baiting in front of trail cameras

Button Buck

Baiting in front of trail cameras

I was having a conversation the other day with a friend about baiting with food in front of a trail cam on state land during deer season. Is it legal? I read the baiting regulations on the DEEP website and my interpretation is that it is legal as long as you are not hunting over the baited area where your camera is located. Is this correct? If not please correct me.

Images
    Please wait for encon to reply to the post first then you may post your opinions
    Thank you
    Andy
    Shoot a Coyote save a Fawn

We prefer that you don't bait on state land due to potential public safety concerns. Besides attracting deer you will end up attracting other animals like coyotes, bears, raccoons, etc. As state land is intended for multi-recreational use, we don't need a hiker or mountain biker coming across a bait pile and getting into a situation with a raccoon/bear/coyote/fisher who might see the person as competition for their food source. On private land it's not as much of an issue as there is little or no uncontrolled public access to the area.

We could make a case for littering under our regulations if bait is placed on state land.

Images
    Sounds de-bait-able.
    The Will Can Not Be Broken

Button Buck

Clarification

Quote Originally Posted by EnCon Police View Post
    We prefer that you don't bait on state land due to potential public safety concerns. Besides attracting deer you will end up attracting other animals like coyotes, bears, raccoons, etc. As state land is intended for multi-recreational use, we don't need a hiker or mountain biker coming across a bait pile and getting into a situation with a raccoon/bear/coyote/fisher who might see the person as competition for their food source. On private land it's not as much of an issue as there is little or no uncontrolled public access to the area.

We could make a case for littering under our regulations if bait is placed on state land.
    Okay, just a clarification, so if someone was to bait in front of a trail camera they would be in compliance with state hunting regulations. On state land it is just not preferred due to safety concerns. In order to prevent people from baiting trail cameras on state land, Encon would charge someone for unintentionally littering. I understand the safety concerns of baiting in front of trail cameras with consumable bait, but what is the difference between that and a non-consumable bait that attracts the same animals?

Super Moderator Deadeye Logun S16 Champion, Backyard Shootout Champion TooManyHobbies's Avatar
    Images
    Visibility maybe?
    NOBODY EVER SHOT BAMBI....they shot his momma.

Quote Originally Posted by dive4blood View Post
    Sounds de-bait-able.
    oooh. Wise guy Ehhh?

Images
    Just a little play on words. Gotta have a few laughs once in a while. :-)
    The Will Can Not Be Broken

Hunting bears over bait in New Brunswick has changed the way I view baiting and why they bait the way they do.

There is a difference between edible product and a scent. Edible bait is habit forming and the animals will hang near it and protect it. Scent products are normally temporary and once found the animal may return again at some point but if there is nothing to eat it may not come back.

Think about it this way, your driving by steakhouse #1 and smell the awesome smell of steak on the grill, you stop expecting to get a nice meal just to find there is no steak only liquid smoke going out the vents. Now, do you hang around hoping for steak or do you go to steakhouse#2 that has some for you to eat? In the future you WILL return to steakhouse#2 because they had steak,will you go back to steakhouse#1 any time soon?

Something else to think about: I wouldn't want to be the guy hunting on state land unknowingly near someone's bait pile and get nailed for it.
    Baiting on state land is asking for trouble and not just for you but an innocent hunter setup too close to it.Just my 2 cents.

It happens in Mass during bear season almost every year, many people bait illegally and the wardens know they do it and they set up to catch some of them.. If you stumble into an area used for bait while they are waiting for the baiter guess who else is going to be arrested and good luck trying to prove that you were unaware of the bait.

In Mass for bear anyway, all edibles and scent is considered bait and is illegal.

I think what his real issue with the statement is the fact that one could be charged with a fine for something that is "Technically" not illegal! If the warden doing the stop feals he "wants to"! I could be wrong! I also understand why it is "preferd" not!

Say your spot on state your hunting, you bait it! You've never seen anyone or anything scary in the area! Yay, perfect spot to set my camera up with some food for some great pics! One day you head in to check your cam, and you walk up on one of Ct's nice cuddely Black Bears! Yikes! But I guess that could happen on private just as easy as state! But on private it's your issue to deal with.
    I'm not saying you should or should not do it! I have!
    " Bowtech RPM 360 70#, Bowtech Invasion 60# Carbon Express Red, Carbon Express Maxima Hunter, Carbon Express F15, GrimReaper SS, Rage Hyperdermic"