PDA

View Full Version : For The Southington Guy's

shadow
09-18-2011, 10:07 PM
It seems there are about 4-5 guys on this site from Southington, any of you bowhunt Crescent Lake..open to Southington residents only??
Also what do you think of this town owned bowhunting only area?

I have hunted it in the past and shot a nice buck out of there a few years ago.
Even though I live in Plainville I pay some of my taxes to Southington so they allow me in there, anyway the last time I was there, last year at this time, there were more stands set up then I could believe, they were everywhere.
For those of you hunting there or that have, have you regularly seen deer with pressure not only from the hunters but the hikers as well.

DeerSniper
09-18-2011, 10:37 PM
You must have edited the other post as I was responding. So I figured I would move it over here.

Am not seeing enough lately!
Any of the Southington guys on this site hunt Crescent Lake..open to Southington residents only??

After you sent me the map last year I scouted it a few times and hunted it once I never found a whole lot of sign but I saw a lot of other hunters so I never went back.

DeerSniper
11-02-2011, 09:27 PM
Went and got my permit this afternoon and I was talking to the lady she said there had been 3 does taken and just this morning a 210lb 10 pointer. I took the kids and there was tracks everywere in the snow and not 1 other car in the parking lot she said I was the 36th person since the begining of the season to hunt there. I may actally go back and hunt it again I found some decent spots.

shadow
11-02-2011, 10:05 PM
Yea, I stopped in and talked to the permit signer, thats one big buck! That area always seems to have some big deer out there.
I even drove up to the parking area to see if the guys were still hanging around with the deer, didn't see them but I saw a nice looking Accura...I think, with a CTHNS decal on it.

DeerSniper
11-02-2011, 11:07 PM
Yea, I stopped in and talked to the permit signer, thats one big buck! That area always seems to have some big deer out there.
I even drove up to the parking area to see if the guys were still hanging around with the deer, didn't see them but I saw a nice looking Accura...I think, with a CTHNS decal on it.

Silver MDX? With car seats and baby seats all over? That was mine.

tines
11-03-2011, 05:11 AM
It seems there are about 4-5 guys on this site from Southington, any of you bowhunt Crescent Lake..open to Southington residents only??
Also what do you think of this town owned bowhunting only area?

I think there are to many different rules for different towns , The state should have ONE set of rules for the ENTIRE STATE PERIOD !!! Let face it , how far are you going to travel for a day of hunting ??
Just think if there were different Rules for driving from town to town , just ridiculous !!
You can bait here but not there ???? Now some towns North of zones 11 & 12 have baiting stations set up in which you have to get approved by the town to hunt just at there baiting station to take a deer !!! Of course the locals get TOP PRIORITY for the permits ?? We are going back to THE KINGS DEER not a PUBLIC RESOURCE anymore .

DanburyBowhunter
11-03-2011, 08:11 AM
I don't see anything wrong with towns doing more than the state. They are trying to solve a local problem. As for the local hunts being for locals only, that does not appear to apply in some towns in Fairfield county. However, our bigger problem, in terms of deer numbers, is the number of towns, land trusts, and private landowners (some with many hundreds of acres) that don't allow hunting. Danbury has ~200 acres of town land, some undeveloped at all, and no hunting allowed. If anyone wants to control the population, having many hundreds to low thousands of acres unhuntable will make that impossible.

tines
11-03-2011, 08:58 AM
I wish that would go for all laws , like illegal immigrants you can't have it both ways ,
To me that it is a big problem having some laws for some but not for other's !!
The state should be making the hunting laws not towns . If the landowner doesn't allow hunting so be it . As far as the deer population being a problem mother nature will deal with the problem . Man always seem to think they have all the answer...... they don't .
How would it be if you could only hunt in the town you reside in ??

CWD
11-03-2011, 09:17 AM
I have no problem with towns allowing deer hunting on their property, for town residents. You pay taxes in that town, you should be allowed to hunt town land.

cthonkerheaven
11-03-2011, 09:31 AM
I agree with CWD, if you pay the taxes for that town only you tax payers in that town should be allowed there, good idea, i like it, i pay high taxes only local residents can hunt there . . . Its kindof like this . . You get high tax payers with great schools, then you get hartford or lower income cities who barely pay any taxes or areon welfare and their kids come into a nice town get free lunch and good schooling and dont pay anything. . .BS . . . Stay in your own darn town :) haha just my opinion, if you like the deer in another town, move there haha or buy lqnd in several towns, then your a tax payer!

tines
11-03-2011, 12:42 PM
I think I buy a STATE HUNTING LICENSE
I think I took a STATE HUNTING COURSE
I thought the DEP was a STATE DEPARTMENT
I thought the DEP SET THE RULES
and I didn't think if a deer walks on my property that I have the right to do what I want with it ??? What make the town so different than me??