PDA

View Full Version : How to care for Velvet Antlers

recurvehunter79
09-06-2011, 03:22 PM
With the early season fast approaching, I wanted to ask you guys about how to handle a buck that is still in velvet in the off chance that I get one.

Has anyone shot a buck in velvet? I would appreciate any pointers on how to care for it before getting to the taxidermist.

Thanks!

Quinnsolo12
09-06-2011, 07:24 PM
That's a great question that I have often wondered myself... it seems to make sense that you could just peel it off or something? idk

Cal45
09-06-2011, 07:49 PM
John from Homestead should be able to answer this but I think you freeze them for about 9 or 10 months. Then you can mount them.

OFB
09-06-2011, 08:08 PM
Yes I think Cal.45 is right I think they freeze dry them.I am amazed at the
amount of people who love the velvet antlers.I personaly will not take one
if still in velvit.JMO

bucktales
09-06-2011, 08:20 PM
FWIW,
I had the antlers from a road kill 8 pointer in velvet. Did nothing to them and the velvet stayed on. Kept them in a display case for 10 years until the "X" made them gone.:icon_cry:

steve
09-06-2011, 08:40 PM
I've never shot one in velvet but I've taken road kills like that. Actually my first experience with a dead deer my uncle pulled off the highway on rt8. got out of the car and handed me a knife. He cut his head off and gave it to me to carry back to the car. I just remember cars honking at me while blood was dripping off my hands on the side of the highway hahah. After we boiled and cleaned the skull (careful to keep the antlers out of the water) we injected the velvet with formaldehyde with a few syringes. The more the merrier. Its still looks as good as on a deers head years later.

captmike69
09-06-2011, 10:46 PM
yup they inject them with some preservitives. i stuck a small 8 opening day a couple years ago in full velvet but hit the leg bone and never found him!!!

Outdoor Trophies
09-12-2011, 05:59 PM
There are several ways to preserve the velvet. The best option is freeze drying and I reccommend it on all real early deer that are still very bulbous. The closer they get to being completely hardened you can do without freeze drying. Injecting with a presevative mixture will do the trick.

Horizontal Hunter
09-12-2011, 06:55 PM
Is there any special care that they need in the field other than the obvious don't drag him out by the horns??

Bob

StoneCrusher
09-12-2011, 06:56 PM
this is a real good question and I think it is best to put it in the freezer.
I am also confused as to why some will not shoot a buck in velvet? I saw an 8-pointer today on rte 2 (dead) that was still in full velvet. I guess those that won't shoot a velvet buck will not be hunting for a couple more weeks.

I have known that they can remove the velvet (if it is mostly/partly fallen off) and the taxidermist uses a kit to put a recreated velvet on the antlers.

Outdoor Trophies
09-12-2011, 08:30 PM
Is there any special care that they need in the field other than the obvious don't drag him out by the horns??

Bob

Best thing to do is handle them with care and get them into the freezer or to your taxidermist as soon as you can.

Horizontal Hunter
09-12-2011, 08:42 PM
Best thing to do is handle them with care and get them into the freezer or to your taxidermist as soon as you can.

Thank you.

Bob

Homestead
09-13-2011, 12:04 AM
Just got in from Mass. Been bear hunting all week. Outdoor Trophies is right, be gentle and get them to your taxidermist A.S.A.P.
Don't put any kind of presure on the antlers while they are in velvet, it is very easy to damage the velvet. This time of year the antlers are hard and the velvet is ready to come off on its own. They can be injected or freeze dried, if they are beginning to peel or you damage them we can send them out to be coated to appear that the velvet is still undamaged. You can leave them in a freezer unbagged for a long period of time and they will eventually dry out to the point for you to do something with them, but a taxidermist would have them treated which ever way is needed before we can use them for anything do to bugs,odors and other things that can happen if it is not preserved properly. John