PDA

View Full Version : Cover Scents

tail chaser
08-14-2011, 12:58 PM
I've been wondering what everyone uses for cover scents. I use an autumn scent. I heard that vanilla extract works great. It covers your scent and i would think that it would attract the deer in with a sweet fragrance.

boulder bass
08-14-2011, 01:22 PM
My cover scent at deer camp is usually a pot roast smell I have a bad habit of hanging my wools next to the wood stove where the roast cooks. lol I do use fresh earth scent spray and wafers.

TooManyHobbies
08-14-2011, 01:44 PM
Don't use any, but I will step in and mash some deer pellets or cow manure onto the soles of my boots.

Feedemsteel1983
08-14-2011, 05:44 PM
I also use Fresh Earth scent from Hunters Specialties. Ive had great success with this cover scent. JMO It the best Ive found.

vanbowhunts
08-14-2011, 07:06 PM
I just read a very interesting article, and what I think is very informative. I'd like your guys take on it.

I know that the scent industry is a multi-billion dollar industry, and everyone out there claims that their estrus is the best, from the from the "one deer to one bottle" claim, to "will stop them in their tracks" etc....After reading this article I think I'm done with using estrus scents from here on out, and will concentrate on just remaining as scent free as I can.

The gist of the article goes something like this...a hunter is in his treestand, a lone doe comes running through just out of bow range...the hunter takes note of the exact path this deer takes, and sure enough about 15 minutes later here comes a buck with his nose to the ground following the exact same trail. Now we know that doe must of been in estrus, but when a doe is in estrus she's not "dripping the sauce" so to speak for the buck to follow, so what is it that the buck is following?

Deer have many glands that they use to leave their scent on....there are pre-orbital glands that are on their heads that they use to rub on trees, and branches etc..the tarsal glands that the bucks urinate on, etc...but the ones that I think from reading this article are the most important/impressive are the inter-digital glands...these glands are located between a deers hoofs...think about this for a moment. Have you ever been in a stand and had a doe stomp her foot at you, or at something that she thought was out of the ordinary? She is leaving more of her scent from that inter-digital gland in that spot than anywhere else she's been..so after she's long gone, if another deer comes into that spot, it goes on alert...why? Because that previous doe left the scent from her gland in that area!

So it may not do you any good to lay down a scent trail of estrus to try to lure a buck up a trail...the secret may be to stay off of the deer runs as to not mess up or contaminate the run as by doing so may cause a deer to not come up that run as they will know that you've been there after other deer have been through.

Thanks for reading this I know it's long, and I'm sorry, but I'm curious as to what you guys think about this. I for one think that this makes total sense, and I'm done contributing to the scent industry, unless someone out there can develop/market a good inter-digital gland scent that I can use on a drag rag! I'm now wondering if all I've been doing is simply educating the deer to my location using estrus/cover scents...I guess we'll see this year as I'm going scent free!

~ Van

Jeremy.backpack
08-14-2011, 07:47 PM
Personally I do not take stock in "estrus", "doe in heat", or "dominant buck urine". I'm definately not an expert but I do believe that remaining scent free will increase your chances for sucess. I just use the H.S. spray, soap, detergent and deoderant. I have never experimented with attractants or lures but most hunters have told me that they are hit or miss. Bait works great down south but most of the state isn't able to use it.

You can also take rotten leaves and rub over your clothes, stomp in droppings (make sure they are deer not coyote), pee in a soda bottle that has a little baking soda in it (while in the stand/ blind), rub pine needles into your gear, crush acorns up and sprinkle them over you while in the stand, and chew citrus gum. I have also heard of guys taking their gear and putting it in a bag of crushed corn or hunting with a bird feeder near them. (I'm not sure if you can hunt with a bird feeder up here).

As fars as the "digital-something gland scent"..... I have noooo clue! LOL

Thanks for the article! If nothing else, it was at least entertaining, but it does make sense.

steve
08-14-2011, 09:09 PM
someone posted a cool idea on the site recently to boil up dirt/ leaves/ acorns/ or whatever else natural you want. Then strain it and use it in a spray bottle. I haven't done it yet but will probably get around to trying it soon.

cthonkerheaven
08-14-2011, 09:27 PM
I love rinks for estrus, I've seen deer walk three to four hundred yards out of their way to get within a few feet for a sniff, it's crazy, I only use it around the rut tho

cthonkerheaven
08-14-2011, 09:28 PM
Tinks, this darn iPad auto correct lol darn it

youngbuck
08-14-2011, 11:09 PM
I also use Fresh Earth scent from Hunters Specialties. Ive had great success with this cover scent. JMO It the best Ive found.

i use the fresh earth scent too either a scenty blocker and one of the wafers or the fresh earth spray and its really seemed to help with deer coming in down wind it almost seems like they like it

passinthru63
08-15-2011, 09:15 AM
I also use fresh earth scents for cover up. I use the HS wafers in my hutning clothes bin and I have a spray I use once dressed. Smells just like when I scrape up the ground around my setup. I don't use anything else but now days. Seems to work ok for me.

Chief
08-15-2011, 10:26 AM
I hunt around several horse farms, so I usually hang my clothes in the barn for a couple of weeks prior. I know that the deer are used to smelling horses, so I figured it would make a good (and cheap) cover scent. Any thoughts?

Horizontal Hunter
08-15-2011, 10:51 AM
I also use fresh earth scents for cover up. I use the HS wafers in my hutning clothes bin and I have a spray I use once dressed. Smells just like when I scrape up the ground around my setup. I don't use anything else but now days. Seems to work ok for me.

I used to do the same thing and it was very effective. I would get dressed before I left the house (I never could make myself change in the woods) and there was enough transfer of the smell from the wafers that my truck would smell for 6 months after the season. I also used to use the fresh earth dryer sheets.

The only problem was that my wife is allergic to something in the wafer and it causes an asthmatic like attack. I nearly had to take her to the ER one day and she couldn't drive my truck for 7 or 8 months after the season ended.

Bob

Spotted Crow
08-15-2011, 12:31 PM
I think the best scent is NO scent. If You get it. I stay off the runs as to not contaminate. I have used doe in estrus. It has worked.