PDA

View Full Version : Crop Damage Buck!

Feedemsteel1983
08-06-2011, 09:20 PM
This is a pic from Griswold,CT on a farm my buddy has CD permits for his son in the pic was the lucky man tonight when he pulled the trigger on this nice 10pt.

bigbuckdown1979
08-06-2011, 10:50 PM
Beautiful buck!!! It's my goal to
Get one in full velvet

vanbowhunts
08-07-2011, 08:01 AM
Very NICE!!! congrats to your buddy!! I'd love to get a buck in velvet!!

bobbythehunter
08-07-2011, 11:08 AM
This is a pic from Griswold,CT on a farm my buddy has CD permits for his son in the pic was the lucky man tonight when he pulled the trigger on this nice 10pt.

nice buck , i think they should have an antler restriction on crop damge deer. say maybe 4 or less points.

cthonkerheaven
08-07-2011, 11:20 AM
Bobby I agree, 6 pt or less or does, those big bucks who are still growing darn....

captmike69
08-07-2011, 11:37 AM
i propose another restriction, only give me all the permits!!!

bobbythehunter
08-07-2011, 07:55 PM
think about it. you issue a crop damage permit to a landowner or farmer and then you let the hunter shoot trophy bucks with a rifle in the summer? how many hunters can hunt on one crop damage permit? how many deer can you kill? how often does the state check to verify the damage? might as well let them kill them over bait at night. should be anterless deer only in my opinion. just another crazy CTDEP hunting regulation in my opinion. it's not bad enough that landowners can hunt with rifle 2 weeks before everyone else but all season ?? terrible JMO

nice deer indeed

captmike69
08-07-2011, 08:40 PM
i dont think anyone should be killing anterless deer this early in the year. fawns are still young

bigbuckdown1979
08-07-2011, 09:33 PM
I have to disagree with you guys on this one. I grew up farming and have seen the damage that deer and raccoons do to a crop. When you are depending on these crops for your lively hood it's a lil bit of a different story. And they don't just hand these tags out the dep is notified and a dep officer and a wildlife biologist come in and look at the damage and decide if there is enough monetary value in the damage to give out crop damage permits. And they usually only give out permits for a few shooters. You have to remember that these deer are doing alot of damage to crops. And be honest guys how many of you guys hunt farms and pass on does and smaller bucks waiting for the shot at big mature bucks that you know roam the area? If you do that on these farms then there is no deer being removed from the area then you did nothing to
Help the farmer with the problem. I hunt a Xmas tree farm that gets hammered by deer. Especially when the bucks Are rutting they destroy the trees along the entire edge of the field when they rub there antlers and in the winter they eat all the young trees when the winter is real hard. I talked to the landowner last year and he started planting alot of these Xmas trees that have a nice citrus smell and after the winter we had they ate 3500'dollars worth of saplings in one year. He is now looking into getting crop damage tags for me.

Harvester
08-07-2011, 10:12 PM
Great Buck! Congrats to your buddy.
I've hunted CD before and I promised the farmer to shoot whatever walks by. This is how he made a living and the deer were costing him money. He had problems with guys trophy hunting in the past and wasting the permits. Anyone that gets CD permits, IMO, should take this same approach and hopefully in return they'll let you hunt during the season when most of the crops are done for and then you can trophy hunt.
I'm all for letting bucks grow but not during CD hunts, this approach will keep that land open for you.

bobbythehunter
08-07-2011, 10:40 PM
I have to disagree with you guys on this one. I grew up farming and have seen the damage that deer and raccoons do to a crop. When you are depending on these crops for your lively hood it's a lil bit of a different story. And they don't just hand these tags out the dep is notified and a dep officer and a wildlife biologist come in and look at the damage and decide if there is enough monetary value in the damage to give out crop damage permits. And they usually only give out permits for a few shooters. You have to remember that these deer are doing alot of damage to crops. And be honest guys how many of you guys hunt farms and pass on does and smaller bucks waiting for the shot at big mature bucks that you know roam the area? If you do that on these farms then there is no deer being removed from the area then you did nothing to
Help the farmer with the problem. I hunt a Xmas tree farm that gets hammered by deer. Especially when the bucks Are rutting they destroy the trees along the entire edge of the field when they rub there antlers and in the winter they eat all the young trees when the winter is real hard. I talked to the landowner last year and he started planting alot of these Xmas trees that have a nice citrus smell and after the winter we had they ate 3500'dollars worth of saplings in one year. He is now looking into getting crop damage tags for me.

ok i guess i'm jealous then ! i don't get to hunt any farms and pass on the does and small bucks. i hear you on the damage part.

Chief
08-08-2011, 10:34 AM
And they don't just hand these tags out the dep is notified and a dep officer and a wildlife biologist come in and look at the damage and decide if there is enough monetary value in the damage to give out crop damage permits. And they usually only give out permits for a few shooters. You have to remember that these deer are doing alot of damage to crops. .

That's very true. I had a permit to hunt a piece where the guy had a nursery. He didn't qualify for CD, and was pretty bitter about it. He told me that I was not to be selective, "If it's brown, it's down". I wasn't really comfortable about that, so I only had the permit for one season.

passinthru63
08-08-2011, 11:40 AM
That is a beauty of a buck for sure. Crop damage permits are there for a reason, control the damage and should not be used as a way to trophy hunt - I am not claiming this young man did that either.

I've watched deer doing there thing in crop fields and it's pretty destructive and cost the farmers money and CD permits are a must for many of them. I once watch deer work over a pumpkin patch. The deer would smash a pumpkin open, eat a bite or two and then smash another. The farmer was funny..He said if they would eat the whole dang thing it wouldn't be so bad. :icon_winkle:

Feedemsteel1983
08-08-2011, 02:13 PM
I wanna clear up a few things my buddy already shot a ton of does a 5 pt a spike and a button . he shoots what he sees and the 2nd deer into the field that night. Also dont take me the wrong way but when I heard he had crop damage permits I was like thats not rite ,its cheating but then I saw what they have done to this farmers corn crop that feed his cows all year and thought maybe I was just being a lil jealous that I didnt have CDP's So i guess it might be different if me or you had these permits then a beautiful full velvet 10pt walks out to the field and we had a chance to put a beautiful FULL VELVET buck on the wall. My buddy said that he did see a larger buck that was actually alot bigger than this one that he didnt shoot . So dont KNOCK it just because you dont have it! no hard feelings but who wouldnt want a trophy on the wall in full velvet and keep the cows on your buddys farm better fed ! JMO

Homestead
08-08-2011, 05:35 PM
That is a really nice deer, congrats. I did it for a few years on a dairy farm, the damage is hard to believe. There were three of us with a permit. The last year I did it I took a few does and a smallish 7 pt. I let the big bucks go, you have got to shoot the does to be worth doing it. One guy was saying he had shot a couple of spikes,forks ,sixes and a small eight and one doe. That does not help anybody except in not having any decent deer around there for years to come. Maybe someday it will return as a good place to harvest a nice buck, I am still waiting for that day. A good food source during this time of year can draw deer from miles around, so your not just killing your deer you are taking out the neighbors deer too. Don't get me wrong if I had seen a monster buck he would be on the wall now, and the one you have here would be hitting the wall.