PDA

View Full Version : Complete Newbie Advice more than Welcome!!!!!!

Wolfecastle
07-22-2011, 12:14 AM
I'm completely new to hunting. I have been shooting pistols and rifles my entire life, but have never hunted before. I completed both the firearms and bow hunting courses just recently and am eager to harvest a deer this season. I have been researching equipment (climbing stands, clothing, etc.) for the past few months and realize there is so much, that it can be overwhelming. I recently purchased a Hoyt compound bow and have been practicing as much as possible since everyone I speak with say the key is practice, practice, and then when you're done...practice.

A buddy of mine's uncle has quite a bit of woods in Hebron that he owns. Apparently, some people do hunt in this area for deer. Does anyone know if this is actually an area where one might be successful in findng deer?

Any suggestions are more than welcome on equipment, locations, techniques, or anything you think I will need to know to be successful.

thanks for the help!!!

vanbowhunts
07-22-2011, 08:38 AM
Welcome the forum, and to the toughest school of hard knocks you'll ever go through, in fact it's a life long journey, and some never graduate....Hunting deer is one of the most challenging animals in the wild you will ever hunt! Their sense of smell is at a minimum 100 X's better than ours, so if your downwind of their nose, game over!

My best advice is to make each trip into the woods a learning experience, what works for some people don't work for others. But the basics are this, Keep safe (Always wear your harness), keep scent free (or upwind of known trails), keep quiet, know your target, and know your limitations...this is going to be a lifelong lesson, so prepare now!

Don't get discouraged..it will be easy to do!

Welcome to the addiction!!

~ Van

TooManyHobbies
07-22-2011, 08:49 AM
Hey Wolf, welcome.

Don't over think it. Especially the gadgets. Find some deer sign and sit quietly. They will eventually come to you. Observe. Observe. Observe. Learn from what the animals are telling you. How they react, where they travel, etc., then adjust to the situation. Enjoy the experience, each new day is a new experience.

Feedemsteel1983
07-22-2011, 08:55 AM
Welcom, And yes Hebron has plenty of deer infact anywhere in CT that has woods usally holds deer . My advice to you is when choosing a stand or blind setup look for sign wich means tracks,droppings,and well used trails to be able to pinpoint travel routes of the deer in your hunting area then you might have to tweak ur setup abit to get closer to the deer for a bow shot. Also USE THIS FORUM for any specific questions you mite have in the future there are alot of great hunters on this forum, so use it.

Horizontal Hunter
07-22-2011, 11:38 AM
:icon_e_smile:Welcome to the addiction.:icon_e_smile:

Probably the best advice I can give you is to read, read, and read some more before the season starts. Reading is no substitute for first hand experience but it will help lay the foundation so that you can interpret and understand what you are seeing.

Here are a couple of suggestions (listed in no particular order):

Mapping Trophy bucks by Brad Herndon

Finding Wounded Deer by John Trout Jr (Everyone should read this book IMO)

Bowhunting Tactics of the Pros edited by Lamar Underwood (a collection of articles with a lot of good info for a beginner)

Bob

Wolfecastle
08-13-2011, 12:00 AM
hey guys, thanks for all the great advise. the only bad advise is the one not taken! With some studying and patience I hope to post some pictures of great harvests this season, but I have been told that if you are going out expecting a harvest you wont get one. if you go out to enjoy the wood your odds have already improved.

if anyone is going to go out and needs a partner let me know. My friends are mostly guys who will put a solid hour in the woods and then call it a day if they make it out at all. I can be ready to go on the weekends at a moments notice and during the week with a little notice in advance to put in some PTO time from work.

again thanks for the great advice!

cthonkerheaven
08-13-2011, 02:23 AM
Best advice my father always gave me, you won't ever shoot or kill a deer by laying in bed or sitting on the couch, so many times you'll be like ahhh I should have went out and you will never know what you might have saw, I hate missing one minute nit being in my stand