PDA

View Full Version : Quinnipiac river fishing

AGust82
07-11-2011, 06:43 PM
A guy a few years ago told me that stripers come up the Q river all the way to the Wallingford water treatment plant discharge. I sort of discounted it and forgot. Last night I threw a few lures just above the plant and was catching baby stripers one after another. It's true, apparently. Access is complete crap. Canoe upriver or hike/wader stomp from Toelles Rd looks easiest. Anybody ever fish here?

shadow
07-11-2011, 10:15 PM
Are they able to come up the river any further? I'd love to fish for them in Southington or Plainville.
I would NEVER eat anything out of the Quinipiac river south of the old Pratt and Whitney in Southington. Not only did they pollute the river by dumping chemicals into it but so did Solvents Recovery in Southington. They dumped hundreds of thousand of barrels of chemicals into unlined little ponds and it is still leaching into the river 150 feet away.
This place is a Superfund site, they started clean-up in 1982 or so, and its still going on.
Oh, and the cleanup will last 200 Years!
I know alot about this place and the river cause I grew up very close by.

See last paragraph of page 5...200 years!
Don't eat anythin out of the Quini.
http://www.epa.gov/region1/superfund/sites/srs/229296.pdf

AGust82
07-11-2011, 10:50 PM
There is a dam just north of rt 150 in Yalesville. Doesn't look jumpable by any species you might catch here. A fish ladder project is starting in that spot this year though. So maybe someday.

AGust82
07-11-2011, 10:56 PM
Thanks for that link too. Definitely some things I wasn't aware of.