PDA

View Full Version : fluke aboard the flounder pounder.

captmike69
05-22-2011, 12:05 PM
dragged my broken leg onto the boat solo for a bit yesterday. got 2 21inchers and a half doz shorts in thirty feet of water.stopped on the way in for a quick drift in the river and picked up a 17in flounder. now is the only time of the year you can bring home both species of flats.

cthonkerheaven
05-22-2011, 12:37 PM
were going to be bringing home some flats tomorrow broski!!!!!!!!! and I am a witness, the fluke looked bigger then 21 and were very thick!!!!

spike_horn
05-22-2011, 12:48 PM
Nice, thanks for the report!

youngbuck
05-23-2011, 07:16 PM
ill be back out this weekend i was out yesterday in front of millstone and got quite a few fish but they were all like 17 inches couldnt find a keeper fluke to save my life but we were runnin low on bait and it was my first time out this year im used to fishing off of fishers and near watch hill but i downsized in boat so i kinda limited my self o well ill just have to find the around here

captmike69
05-23-2011, 09:51 PM
thats where i was. when i was out saturday there was ten plus boats in the same area and i didnt see one of them pull a fish on board. everyone seems to drift and stop right about where i start my drifts. seems everyone wants to fish where they arent and while i catch them. sounds good to me!!!

youngbuck
05-23-2011, 11:56 PM
thats where i was. when i was out saturday there was ten plus boats in the same area and i didnt see one of them pull a fish on board. everyone seems to drift and stop right about where i start my drifts. seems everyone wants to fish where they arent and while i catch them. sounds good to me!!!

lol i was catching fish just all shorts wat time were u out i think we got out at about 3 oclock and fished till about 7 i was about 200 yards to the right of all those boats closer to the red bouys in about 35 feet of water wat kind of boat do you have i probably saw you

captmike69
05-24-2011, 08:47 PM
i got a twelve foot mini yacht in camo. my dad and i went out today. got some shorts two keepers(lost another boatside) got two big flounder and a sweet windowpane. first time i ever got three species of flatfish in one trip!

youngbuck
05-24-2011, 11:54 PM
i got a twelve foot mini yacht in camo. my dad and i went out today. got some shorts two keepers(lost another boatside) got two big flounder and a sweet windowpane. first time i ever got three species of flatfish in one trip!
i think i may have seen u im in a 18 foot aluminum all blacked out lol and thts sweet man im def gunna be back out on saturday prolly most of the day i think im gunna buy one of those like 10 pound bags of smelt from hilyers i go thru it so damn fast lol u heard of anyone takin any fish on the other side of black point i fished the rocky side closer to niantic and didnt even get a hit

captmike69
05-25-2011, 01:24 PM
i havent really heard any fluke reports. early season they usually get some big ones in the deep water off black pt. my buddy lives in the house with that L shaped jetty out front. i have gotten some fish in 25feet off of that but thats bout it

220combat
05-25-2011, 03:24 PM
You guys are giving me the craving, I may take the Tin Lizzy out to LIS this weekend, in search of flatties.

captmike69
05-25-2011, 04:49 PM
gotta get out now. early season is the time to hammer on um b4 everyone else does

220combat
05-25-2011, 06:07 PM
gotta get out now. early season is the time to hammer on um b4 everyone else does

I'm gonna. I fish the north side of the Long Sand Shoal, just SW of the mouth of the CT River, in 25-50 ft.

The Shoal can get to 2-3 ft, at a extreme low tide, but averages 5-15', then drops to 150'+ on the South side. Never fished that side, though.

captmike69
05-25-2011, 06:52 PM
i need to find myself some more spots. i have spent a lot of time beating up the same old spots all the time. i would like to find myself a secret doormat spot. just to keep to myself to hit once and a while

bobbythehunter
05-25-2011, 11:53 PM

if you don't mind my asking, how do you catch fluke and flounder with the same rigs? are you fishing two different setups?

captmike69
05-26-2011, 12:39 PM
i fish the sound of the fluke on bucktails mostly and have been heading into the river for the flounder on flounder rigs with worms. although we have caught a few fluke on flounder rigs. i went spearing last night with honker. only got three big flounder and a fluke. saw a thirty plus pound bass in two feet of water! lots of small fluke 10-14", and a couple huge togs too! wish it was open season!

youngbuck
05-26-2011, 10:39 PM
i fish the sound of the fluke on bucktails mostly and have been heading into the river for the flounder on flounder rigs with worms. although we have caught a few fluke on flounder rigs. i went spearing last night with honker. only got three big flounder and a fluke. saw a thirty plus pound bass in two feet of water! lots of small fluke 10-14", and a couple huge togs too! wish it was open season!

in front of millstone there i was usin a three way with a ball jig and a small spro jig with a strip of squid idk im starting to think those were flounder i caight the other day ill be back out this weekend i cant tell the difference beetween the two until its big enough i know its a fluke i just figured they were small fluke but maybe big winter flounder idk

flatlander
05-27-2011, 01:10 AM
Its pretty easy to tell the difference. Fluke have a prominent jaw with sharp teeth, winter flounder have a small toothless mouth.The regulars at my marina report that Misquamicut has been slow.

captmike69
05-27-2011, 02:01 PM
once u have seen both u will never get confused again. if you caught them on a spro or a fluke ball it was a fluke, no question. flounder have tiny tiny mouths and fluke have big mouths with sharp teeth. i have some good pictures that show the difference. i will post them later for you. its dam near impossible to catch a flounder on a fluke set up!

youngbuck
05-27-2011, 05:41 PM
there we go well that solves it i always thought winter flounder were just small fluke then they were definetly fluke thanks for the info i always wondered other than color how u told them apart i live in east windsor so winter flunder fishing is pretty much no intrest to me and i ussually dont get down the shore till late may so i never really did any winter flounder fishing either way ill be out tmrw lookin for some doormats

cthonkerheaven
05-27-2011, 07:07 PM
Capt Mike is the MAN, fun times out on the flounder pounder!!!!!!!!!!

boulder bass
05-28-2011, 05:18 PM
I'm gonna. I fish the north side of the Long Sand Shoal, just SW of the mouth of the CT River, in 25-50 ft.

The Shoal can get to 2-3 ft, at a extreme low tide, but averages 5-15', then drops to 150'+ on the South side. Never fished that side, though.

south side of the shoal is the place to be strings like this are common when the water temp gets right.don't be afraid of the deep water and fish heavy sinker if need be 2 knot drift is the best.3726

captmike69
05-30-2011, 04:13 PM
went out solo today. made a couple quick drifts in the river getting one flounder. ran out to my fluke spot got 4 fish. an 18"short a 21" 22" and a 26" 7.5 pounder. Not bad for FIFTEEN MINUTS of fluke fishing!!! limited out so quick i was almost disapointed!

cthonkerheaven
05-30-2011, 04:16 PM
What a beast!!!!! See what happens when I don't come out, you actually catch fish haha I can't wait for tomorrow :)

captmike69
05-30-2011, 04:22 PM
look i didnt have all day for u to try to get three fish in the boat!!!

cthonkerheaven
05-30-2011, 05:34 PM
lol well it takes all day for me to get 3 fish in the boat, those 20 pound fluke i catch are a pain to lip land :)

boulder bass
05-30-2011, 06:01 PM
Nice fluke!!!

captmike69
05-31-2011, 06:28 PM
back at it today. much slower than yesterday. had to work hard but did boat 4 nice slabs. put honkerheaven on his biggest fluke to date too. have yet to disappoint him!

cthonkerheaven
05-31-2011, 08:02 PM
always monsters on the flounder pounder, thanks capt. mike, best fishing guide on the east coast :)