PDA

View Full Version : Connecticut River Bonus Striped Bass Program

passinthru63
05-05-2011, 09:46 AM
Connecticut River Bonus Striped Bass Program

The Following is a media advisory from the DEP- Don't shoot the messenger:

DEP Commissioner Daniel C. Esty will announce the Connecticut River Bonus Striped Bass Program that will allow anglers to take striped bass in a size range (at least 22 inches in length but shorter than 28 inches) outside the current recreational minimum length for stripers in Connecticut. The DEP is issuing vouchers to anglers that will allow them to take an additional 4,025 striped bass (stripers) from the Connecticut River through June 30.
Anglers can obtain vouchers at the same DEP Offices where licenses are sold and while fishing along the Connecticut River, from DEP Environmental Conservation (EnCon) Police Officers and Riverfront Recapture Rangers.

WHEN: Friday May 6, 2011
11:00 AM
WHERE: Charter Oak Landing Gazebo
50 Reserve Road
Hartford, CT

More details:
The Connecticut River Bonus Striped Bass Program is limited to the Connecticut River within the Inland District (from the I-95 bridge in Old Saybrook and Old Lyme northwards to the Massachusetts border). Because the unused quota limits the harvest to 4,025 stripers in 2011, a voucher system will be used to ensure that this limit isnít exceeded. A limit of two vouchers per day will be issued to each angler appearing in person. Anglers will need to obtain these vouchers prior to fishing, and each voucher will allow the angler to keep one striped bass that is at least 22 inches in length but shorter than 28 inches.
Anglers can obtain vouchers at the same DEP Offices where licenses are sold. Anglers 16 years or older must have a valid Inland Fishing License to receive vouchers. Anglers under age 16 appearing in person can also receive two vouchers. Vouchers will also be distributed by EnCon Police during routine patrols along the river, through Riverfront Recapture Rangers (Great River Park in East Hartford and Riverside Park and Charter Oak Landing in Hartford) and via the Connecticut Aquatic Resources Education (CARE) program.
Directions:
From North of Hartford, take I-91 South to Exit 27, Airport Rd. At the end of the ramp, turn left onto Airport Rd. At the end of Airport Rd, turn left onto Brainard Rd, and then take your first left onto Reserve Rd. The park entrance is on your right under the Charter Oak Bridge. Proceed to the Gazebo.
From South of Hartford, take I-91 North to Exit 27, Airport Rd / Brainard Rd. At the end of the ramp, continue straight onto Murphy Road. Go straight through the next intersection and the park entrance is
http://dep.state.ct.us
on your right, under the Charter Oak Bridge. Proceed to the Gazebo.

From East of Hartford, take I-84 West to Rt 5 / 15 & I-91 South Exit across the Charter Oak Bridge. After crossing over the Connecticut River, take Exit 87, Airport Rd / Brainard Rd. At the end of the ramp, turn left onto Airport Rd, and then take your second left onto Reserve Rd. The park entrance is on your right under the Charter Oak Bridge. Proceed to the Gazebo.
From West of Hartford, take I-84 East to Exit 52, I-91 South to Exit 27, Airport Rd. At the end of the ramp, turn left onto Airport Rd. At the end of Airport Rd, turn left onto Brainard Rd, and then take your first left onto Reserve Rd. The park entrance is on your right under the Charter Oak Bridge. Proceed to the Gazebo.
For more information, contact Dwayne Gardner in the DEP Office of Communications at 860-424-3938

22 Shooter
05-05-2011, 11:29 AM
Regardless of this, I'll only keep 'em if they're 28" or larger...otherwise let them live to see another day.

Jimfire85
05-05-2011, 12:01 PM
Hmmm, I have a feeling this is going to pass over like a fart in church. Between the white bucket brigade already keeping shorts and commercial operations taking obsurd amounts of shorts I don't see how this can be a good idea. Even when they just stretch to 28" I have trouble keeping the occassional bass, let em go, so they can breed and feed, the problem I see them trying to fix doesn't have to high bass populations, but low bait fish populations. Keeping fish that are in their prime breeding size is not the answer. / rant over.