PDA

View Full Version : Salmon River New York

Spider lake
04-20-2011, 07:09 PM
Considering the conditions we fished in we had a good three days of fishing. River was running high and hard 4200 CFM. High winds all three days and some lake effect snow mixed in. Water temperature was 40 degrees due to the last of the snow melt off of Tug Hill entering the river. Stopped at the hatchery and saw thousands of steelhead that had been stripped of their eggs and milt and ready to be released back to the river. My nephew was high hook for the weekend with 28 fish hooked and 7 landed. I was next with 22 fish hooked and 6 landed. The other two guys with us had some hookups but none landed. I caught two browns that went 9 and 11 pounds they came home with me for the smoker. All the steelhead were released, caught all my fish on an 8wt rod using a sink tip line and a size 12 black stonefly. The steelhead ran from 8lbs to a couple that pushed 15lbs. It was good to get away after the long winter as well as not dealing with the opening day crowds in CT.

tail chaser
04-20-2011, 08:09 PM
Where about on the river did you hit all of the steelies. I personally like the power line hole and Ellis Cove to do most of my fishing. Great job

Quinnsolo12
04-20-2011, 08:26 PM
Opening day crowds? What crowds? :icon_winkle: IMO the ridiculous license prices pushed a few people off this year.

I definitely have to take a trip up there sometime. Sounds like you guys had a great time.

farmerjim
04-20-2011, 08:52 PM
nice work on the steelies. i usually fish that river and some others in that area often as my inlaws are from the area. with water that high it makes for some tough fishing there. have you been for the steelies just after the salmon run? i usually hit them up when we go up at thanksgiving either spay or spinning rod, but i may try the fly rod this yr. i have hooked into some real nice steelies but i have only ever landed small fish about 5lbs. brown fishing is always productive i for me in that area and a bit west of there. i have fished that river in the middle of some crazy lake effect snow and we have even had to snowshoe in a couple of times. ny state has some great fishing, you can't go wrong there imo.

Spider lake
04-20-2011, 09:52 PM
We fished Ellis cove as well as a side channel above the trestle pool on the West side. Ellis is my favorite spot in the spring, the gravel bottom holds lots of spawning steel in the spring. We rented a cabin over on catfish creek about in between Oswego and Pulaski. Spent a few hours up on Orwell creek and hooked a few small brookies. My nephew took some video of me with a fish on, i will try and post it when he sends it to me. I remember going up years ago in January, four or five feet of snow and single digit temps, talk about cold fishing. Now we do a spring run and have more action and its not as cold.

hornhunter1
04-24-2011, 01:45 PM
We fished Ellis cove as well as a side channel above the trestle pool on the West side. Ellis is my favorite spot in the spring, the gravel bottom holds lots of spawning steel in the spring. We rented a cabin over on catfish creek about in between Oswego and Pulaski. Spent a few hours up on Orwell creek and hooked a few small brookies. My nephew took some video of me with a fish on, i will try and post it when he sends it to me. I remember going up years ago in January, four or five feet of snow and single digit temps, talk about cold fishing. Now we do a spring run and have more action and its not as cold.

Spider, I was suppose to go up there after thanksgiving but I got stiffed by buddies. Have'nt been up there in awhile and they say the steelhead fishing is getting better.
Any photos of the steel.