PDA

View Full Version : Putting out Minerals

shadow
03-14-2011, 08:52 PM
For the past 3 years I have been putting out minerals and salt for deer to consume.
I draw them in to this site from early April and they hit it daily and heavily and then stop using it around mid August.
I wanna set up my mineral site this year in a location about 50 yards from where it was originally set up but don't know if they'll find it to use and if they'll continue to try and use the old mineral site.
Any ideas??

ctdeer
03-14-2011, 08:58 PM
For the past 3 years I have been putting out minerals and salt for deer to consume.
I draw them in to this site from early April and they hit it daily and heavily and then stop using it around mid August.
I wanna set up my mineral site this year in a location about 50 yards from where it was originally set up but don't know if they'll find it to use and if they'll continue to try and use the old mineral site.
Any ideas??

Place a little aromatic sweet feed there and they will sniff it out. When I put that stuff out this winter they found it in one night. If you dont mind me askin, what do you use for minerals? I have salt out, but I want to try minerals too.

shadow
03-14-2011, 09:23 PM
If you dont mind me askin, what do you use for minerals? I have salt out, but I want to try minerals too.

What I use is 1/2 of a 40 lb bag of water softener salt I buy at lowes about 5.00, and then I mix into the site a full bag of Vita Rack, put out by Hunters Specialties.
When I originally set this up, they found it within a day or 2 have been using it every spring and summer since.
I also freshen up the site every 6 weeks spreading the same mix and mixing in into the ground a bit.

ctdeer
03-14-2011, 09:36 PM
What I use is 1/2 of a 40 lb bag of water softener salt I buy at lowes about 5.00, and then I mix into the site a full bag of Vita Rack, put out by Hunters Specialties.
When I originally set this up, they found it within a day or 2 have been using it every spring and summer since.
I also freshen up the site every 6 weeks spreading the same mix and mixing in into the ground a bit.

Thanks. I will check out vita rack. I dont want something thats 90% salt.

shadow
03-15-2011, 09:18 AM
Thanks. I will check out vita rack.

Here's some info on it..
http://reviews.basspro.com/2010/48206/hunters-specialties-hunters-specialties-vita-rack-26-reviews/reviews.htm