PDA

View Full Version : Fawn distress call

joemichael
02-06-2011, 08:59 AM
Has anyone used a fawn distress call before? I'm thinking of adding one to my collection of calls. I like the idea that it can be used at any time of the season, and it will bring in does as well as bucks. Plus they can bring in coyotes as well, which can only add to the fun.

Spotted Crow
02-06-2011, 09:32 AM
I had used one last year for trying to call in a Yote. I did have a few Doe come running in. I definatly could have had a shot. But that was the only time it worked for me.

spike_horn
02-06-2011, 10:13 AM
I've had does and coyotes respond.

Can't hurt your chances IMO. Curious deer & hungry yotes!

joemichael
02-06-2011, 02:03 PM
Thanks for the responses guys. That's what I was thinking...can't really hurt your chances. Plus, during early or late season hunts, I have a hard time keeping my calls on the bag! I'm always tempted to use the bleat can even if its not the best move.

TooManyHobbies
02-06-2011, 06:08 PM
It can awesome in the early season for does. I've had three come running at once. I've also had two does and a coyote come at the same time from three different directions. Very exciting when they work. I don't think the distress call worked past mid Oct. for me for deer, but for coyotes it will. And, It only seemed to work once per property in any given year.

shadow
02-06-2011, 09:56 PM
The fawn distress works well for me in the early season. I've seen does way out of bow range, blew the fawn distress...loud, and they came running and within range.
I also noticed that it doesn't seem to work for me when the weather starts getting cold, and I never seemed to be able to call in a coyote with it yet.

Horizontal Hunter
02-07-2011, 12:53 PM
The fawn distress works well for me in the early season. I've seen does way out of bow range, blew the fawn distress...loud, and they came running and within range.
I also noticed that it doesn't seem to work for me when the weather starts getting cold, and I never seemed to be able to call in a coyote with it yet.

My experience as well. 90% of my call use is when a deer is insight but going away. Not much to lose at that point. I can't tell you how many times I have bumped a deer and then hit the buck grunt. 9 out of 10 times they drop their tail and start ambling along.

Bob