PDA

View Full Version : Fletching arrows ?

Oldfarmsblueman
03-06-2008, 07:44 PM
* * Anyone fletching feathers?Is it easy?
how much equipment do you need to get
started?

Tedicast
03-06-2008, 08:12 PM
I don't fletch feathers, but the equiptment should be pretty much the same. I fletch vanes, offset, not helical. I use a Bitzenburg fletching jig, not the cheapest, but will last 2 or 3 lifetimes. If all you are doing is refletching, you need a jig, adhesive, there are a multiyude of glues, I prefer Goat Tuff. Honestly, I'm not sure if you need a specific glue for feathers, as I have never used them. And, you will need feathers or vanes. It is a very simple thing to do, and the more practice you get, the neater they will come out. My first attempts were a bit messy due to using too much glue. also. to remove old fletch, I use a dulled down utility knife blade. I don't use an old blade, I purposely dull one down on a sharpening stone. There are also commercial tool available to strip fletching, but I can't see a reason to spend money on them personally.

bowtech
03-07-2008, 10:36 AM
I have been using feathers for the past 14 years or so and as tedicast points out , you'll need the same things as far as jig and clamp.
I reccomened the grayling jig personally.
I would recommend the new superglue brush applicator or super glue gel if you are not using the brush.
You will find that feathers will not come off the shaft even if you dont prep the shaft so dont worry about all the prep.....just glue them right on.
If you somehow manage to mess them up while shooting , simply pass them through a flow of steam a few times and they will pull right back to their original shape.
I use a tea kettle for this task but haven't had to do it in years myself.