PDA

View Full Version : QDMA Whitetail Deer Density Map

Horizontal Hunter
01-09-2011, 10:50 AM
This is a deer density map from the QDMA website. WHat do you guys think about the numbers??

Bob

http://www.deerhunting.ws/densitymap.htm

Andy
01-09-2011, 10:59 AM
WHat do you guys think about the numbers??

My area does not have 15 per sq mile its more like 6 per sq mile my.02

BigOutdoors
01-09-2011, 11:35 AM
i think they are a bit,low

feedemsteel26
01-09-2011, 12:25 PM
In some spots there rite, but Ive seen alot more than 15 deer at once just off the side of a corn lot hunting this bow season. So for me -NAH- Im not buying it , I think theres more in most places than that map shows . Ill tell you y I read an article that they did a study of tag collard deer and had people walk around to see ifthey could find the with just there eyes and another computer could see exactally where these deer where bedded and the said that 40% of the time the deer never even move when people wher within 15 yards of them so . To me just cuz u cant see them or helis flying over cant track them down dont mean ****.

Hell I got 17 hanging in my garage now and thats only 20 x 40 so go figure LOL Just kidding Encon.

bobbythehunter
01-09-2011, 05:35 PM
i think southeastern ct has gfreater than 15 per sq mile. interesting how the densities go up in RI LMAO

MoodusHunter
01-09-2011, 06:11 PM
I think the numbers look low for CT. Remember that a square mile is 630 acres! So unless you can physically see all of that land at one time there is no way a single person can claim one way or the other how many deer there are. On my 30 acres in montville (density of less than 15 per the web site) I identified closer to 20 different deer and thats only a small part of the square mile.

Another way of looking at it is 15 deer/mile2 = 1 deer every 42 acres. now take into account that of that 15 10-12 are does/fawns most likely traveling in 2 groups. OK so we have 2 groups of does and 4 bucks traveling. Now that means there is only going to be one deer signting per 100+ acres. Considering most of our hunting spots have visibility of 5-10 acres (apprx 1-2% of the total mile2 ), there is no wonder why hunters would think the deer numbers are less.

Spotted Crow
01-09-2011, 08:23 PM
That is way to much Math :icon_e_smile:. They are there and there's alot of them. We saw 12 in the middle of the road a week ago in Canterbury, we actually sat there and watched them for a few sec. and counted 12 there may have been others off the side. But it was 10:3o pm. I was on stand last day, saw 5-6 go through totaly dif. area. a few hundred yards off.

The last spot I hunted I have pics of at least 8 dif deer. Also I took 2 bucks a friend took a Buck and a doe another guy took a Buck that I know of. So thats 12+ and I know of 4 more on the other side of the river. But besides the pics, I saw 10 deer for the whole season 2 I took. that was 2 one day 4 another. 1 here 1 there yadda yadda...

I agree with ya's. They are there and there are ALOT of them. They just DO NOT move unless the want to or have to!

StoneCrusher
01-09-2011, 09:14 PM
the reason you are seeing groups of 10-15 deer is becuase they are yarded up more in the winter than during summer/fall months. They are together becuase of several reasons. Bucks loose thier horns and join the group, feed is less plentiful,. bla,bla,bla.. (no corn lots or green vegi growing). so they are traveling in groups from bedding and extending their travel a bit further to find feed/acorns/water.

I do not think CT is by any means over populated and think the chart is probably good for averages. some areas have none, others have higher counts.

vanbowhunts
01-09-2011, 09:41 PM
Ha...looks like I need to buy my RI tags next fall...Well seeing as I took 6 this year, I'd say my areas have more than 15 per sq. mile...I think their numbers are low.