PDA

View Full Version : open space?

buckwild
12-29-2010, 12:55 PM
This maybe a dumb question but, While looking on google maps for new deer hunting land I keep seeing either State of Conn or a name with "open space" next to the name? What are these tracks of land? Are they huntable?

MoodusHunter
12-29-2010, 04:59 PM
not that I am aware of. It gets worse if you dig down some may even be owned by the individual towns.

AGust82
12-29-2010, 05:21 PM
The town of Farmington has huge amounts of land deemed "open space". It's not huntable. My guess would be most are owned by towns or are land trusts. (semi-private)

buckwild
12-29-2010, 05:56 PM
That sucks.

Andy
12-29-2010, 06:21 PM
The town i live in has a lot of open space land they just bought another 100 ac no one can hunt it .
Its like the university of connnecticut they have large parcels of land its deemed open space low tax's and no one can hunt it ,part of one parcel is down the road from my house and its loaded with deer .

Horizontal Hunter
12-29-2010, 08:18 PM
Some of the towns with "open space" land that have a deer over population problem do open them up for controlled hunts. Ridgefield comes to mind. A lot of those controlled hunts and access are tied up by the group that is tied in with the UBC. I can't remember their name at the moment.

Bob

Cal45
12-30-2010, 04:06 PM
The town i live in has a lot of open space land they just bought another 100 ac no one can hunt it .
Its like the university of connnecticut they have large parcels of land its deemed open space low tax's and no one can hunt it ,part of one parcel is down the road from my house and its loaded with deer .
Can you imagine being able to hunt that parcel? You're right that place is loaded with deer and I imagine there are probably some real swamp donkeys in there. At least you can fish there. The river for stocked/wild trout and the small stream for natives.

SWAMP YANKEE
12-30-2010, 07:35 PM
Some of the towns with "open space" land that have a deer over population problem do open them up for controlled hunts. Ridgefield comes to mind. A lot of those controlled hunts and access are tied up by the group that is tied in with the UBC. I can't remember their name at the moment.

Bob

I believe you are speaking of Whitetail Solutions check out Brookfield's bow harvest that town signed on with WS last year. Not my kind of hunting exprience but if it works for those that like it to each his own!