PDA

View Full Version : AM or PM?

TooManyHobbies
12-08-2010, 04:06 PM
Now that the late season is upon us, and cold weather too, what is your most productive time for seeing/shooting deer?
I love mornings. I love hearing the animals coming from afar, with a steady crunch, crunch, crunch. I haven't really hunted too many afternoons this year though. Maybe the deer are moving in the PM earlier because of the cold? How do you hunt December, if given a choice (obviously, if no choice you hunt when you can). The problem with early hunts, I sometimes get to cold to stay for more than a couple hours.

Friday AM is supposed to be down to 13F. I'll be out there for as long as my digits can handle it.

buckwild
12-08-2010, 05:02 PM
But honestly I think they are moving mid afternoon and early eves.

bobbythehunter
12-08-2010, 05:22 PM
either will work. afternoons definately more comfortable although i will be out there friday AM i think.

Andy
12-08-2010, 05:59 PM
Once really cold weather sets in they tend to feed mid mornings when the sun warms things up.
I hunted zone 12 one winter when it was minus 10 you would not see a deer until noon this is just my experiences hunting cold weather.

Its really hard to draw your bow back at minus 10 :icon_e_surprised:

TooManyHobbies
12-08-2010, 06:19 PM
I can deal with the cold, the wind friggin sucks.
Funny, on the 'hunting shows', the deer seem to move when it's frigid cold. Maybe they just try to dramatize the show and decrease the actual temp by 20*.

flatlander
12-08-2010, 06:21 PM
Around the full and new moon I tend to see more deer mid day. Of course I'm not hunting when I see them. Also agree that they are more active when it warms up, so now we're a few days past the new moon and it's cold. Mid day would be a good time to hunt. During the week I can only hunt mornings, so that's when I hunt.

Buck74
12-08-2010, 07:31 PM
I am going to be hunting mostly mornings the rest of the season. I have hunted equally so far, but the only deer I have seen are in the AM this season.

12 Ring
12-10-2010, 12:59 PM
I find that the mornings are more productive then the afternoons. I haven't seen the deer movement change because of the temps. On thing you have to do this time of year is get your stand high and in the thickest stuff you can find. Sit as long as you can. With the ground as noisey as it is it does not pay to try to still hunt. Good luck and go get them

TooManyHobbies
12-10-2010, 04:30 PM
AM was productive today, I was just in the wrong tree, about 15 yards further than I needed to be. 2 does and a spike.

spike_horn
12-10-2010, 05:40 PM
IMO

Early season - AM & PM about equal

Rut - AM better than PM but hunt anytime obviously

Post Rut - unless you can get to a stand undetected in the AM, you'll be educating deer to your presence and then they won't move until after dark. If it's really cold you'll get some mid day to sunset movement. In my experiences, deer are usually bedded by sunrise late season. I usually just pick my days when conditions are perfect and hunt in the PM.

Horizontal Hunter
12-10-2010, 06:15 PM
On the really cold days I have tended to see more mid moring and mid afternoon movement and bedding on south facing slopes in between.

In general I tend to shoot most of my deer during the hours of 10:00AM to 2:00PM throught the season. I am sure that the reason for some of that is that is when other hunters get bored or cold and head to the trucks for lunch. I don't take a lot of deer late in the evening because I hate night recoveries.

Bob