View Full Version : Do you eat what you shot

Andy
11-26-2010, 05:35 PM
I know this question has been brought up before
Do you eat the deer you shoot ?
Do you give away the deer you shoot??

Quinnsolo12
11-26-2010, 05:42 PM
I am a little confused. Why wouldn't you eat the deer that you have shot?

ctdeer
11-26-2010, 06:19 PM
I always share some with family and friends, but we eat some of every deer.

Quigly
11-26-2010, 06:49 PM
Yes, I eat the game that I harvest...I don't like to see any of it go to waste. I do give some away to some special people.

white devil
11-26-2010, 07:10 PM
I fill the freezer.Then give it the next ones to friends.

TooManyHobbies
11-26-2010, 07:50 PM
Seems like a silly question to me too. Of course I eat what I shoot. I also share it with people that like it, family, friends and landowners.

flatlander
11-26-2010, 08:02 PM
Yup, eat and share.

passinthru63
11-26-2010, 09:01 PM
always eat what we shoot. Give some away on occasion as well. Now we don't hunt somethings because we don't enjoy eating them so if someone did then I would hunt them and give them away,

feedemsteel26
11-26-2010, 09:23 PM
I love deer meat I do give some to select people but I couldnt see why anyone wouldnt like it . Its great!

StoneCrusher
11-26-2010, 09:24 PM
We eat most of everything that we take. I do give some to friends and family and to those in need, but only after it is cut and wrapped.
I did leave ~60-70 lbs of meat in Idaho becuase I was already ever the limits (I had 6 coolers), but I know my friend will eat it all.

SwampYankee
11-26-2010, 11:55 PM
We eat most of everything that we take. I do give some to friends and family and to those in need, but only after it is cut and wrapped.
I did leave ~60-70 lbs of meat in Idaho because I was already ever the limits (I had 6 coolers), but I know my friend will eat it all.

I only shoot what I can eat & rarely give it away every time I give it to a non hunter I go over to their house a year later & there is my hard work rotting in the freezer piss me off. I shoot, Drag & cut my own Its allot of work making Jerky, sausage, Smoking Kielbasa the works.

MoodusHunter
11-27-2010, 04:17 AM
Sadly my wife does not like the venison, mentally she can't do it. I usually end up keeping only what I can eat on my own when shes not around. She will eat jerky when I make it though. I end up giving most away to friends.

Andy
11-27-2010, 04:33 AM
My wife was that way when we were first married she would not touch it ,well now its a different thing
she loves venison and on days when i feel lazy and want to sleep in she pushes me out the door dont come home until you shoot a deer she says LOL!!

She won't help me butcher but she will help in the wrapping ..

raychalsr
11-27-2010, 06:04 AM
Huntings is a passion. Harvesting an animal is an extra bonus.I don't hunt anything I would not eat. I butcher my own deer unless it's too warm out. My family likes it except for the mother-in-law.Good way to keep her away is tell her venison is on the menu.If I get more than we need There are a few friends who are more than happy to take it.

CT-Hunter
11-27-2010, 07:40 AM
We, my family, always eats what I kill. What we can't use, we share with friends and those in need. I also try to make sure to take parts, like the liver and heart, that we don't eat out of the woods to give to those who will make use of them.

piscator
11-27-2010, 07:49 AM
I was talking to a guy who hunts sea ducks, which he says are inedible with the exception of Brandts (I believe he said?). He says they are boiled down picked from the bones and given to the dog. He also said there are many "sportsmen" where he hunts that shoot them and leave them floating in the ocean. Pigs with guns, for sure. Nothing goes to waste around here. If you're not going to honor any creature's spirit, don't shoot it.

hooks
11-27-2010, 08:23 AM
not being a trophy hunter, i hunt for the meat i will not shot something if i can not eat it. i will try something at least once and like it

LB SECT
11-27-2010, 11:07 AM
If I harvest anything after the freezer is full, I ask guys at work if they want to pay for the processing, and I will give some away, but I also donate at least 1 a year to hunters for the hungry . There is always someone that needs to eat..

Spotted Crow
11-27-2010, 03:34 PM
Same as most here. We eat what I harvest. I share with Friends and Family.