PDA

View Full Version : Gun Rest While Stand Hunting

spike_horn
11-19-2010, 07:06 PM
I'm curious how treestand hunters (hang on w/ no shooting rail) rest the gun to execute a shot. I struggle with this at times ... I've tried a couple different methods and have missed opportunities trying to get set.

How do you do it?

MoodusHunter
11-19-2010, 08:29 PM
If the shot is in front of me I make sure my foot is on the bar in front and I use my elbow to get solid. To either side I prefer to stand and use my off arm as a brace with the tree.

SwampYankee
11-19-2010, 11:55 PM
I use climbers that face the tree & tie a rope as high as I can reach up then if the shot is behind me I wrap the rope around my hand & the gun & lean it down and forward works well swing left or right works as a revers mono pod

BigOutdoors
11-20-2010, 06:28 PM
lol,after reading your question.i had to think about how i do it.i really never gave it any thought.my stand is plain jane strap on,no rail,bar or anything.i seem to put alot of faith in my safty harness.i always shoot in standing postion.when i see any movement i stand up and lean out untill theres tention on the safty strap.i can comfortly swing 180 degress while the gun is up

StoneCrusher
11-20-2010, 06:46 PM
I don't know, I just stand up in my climbing and shoot. Never gave it any thought, but then again; I am not Mister Safety.

smames30
11-20-2010, 09:12 PM
I know what you mean when you say its difficult at times. I am looking to invest in a lighter rifle to make it easier to stabilize it in the stand becuase without a rest it is difficult to hold a sight picture for a long time when following a deer. But at the moment I cannot afford this, so in a stand I usually find something to rest my left foot on and use my left knee as a stand for my left elbow and this makes it much more stable. It is the same set up I use for turkey hunting when I am on the ground and resting my elbows on my knees to keep the gun steady. I defintely need something to rest my elbows on or my gun wobbles a lot and I just can't stay steady, so I understand the problem. Try that and let me know how works!