PDA

View Full Version : Doe #1 shot with a spitfire

Horizontal Hunter
09-17-2009, 01:04 PM
I was lucky enough to harvest a doe on opening day and i took some pictures so that I could share the experience with everyone here. The initial shot was with a 424g arrow tipped with a 125g NAP Spitfire. The doe was relaxed and feeding at 40 yards with me shooting from a rest. I wouldn't have taken a shot at this distance without meeting the two conditions in the last sentence. The arrow was released at 1:05 in the afternoon and the deer was recovered at 3:15 the same afternoon. The doe turned at the shot and what was a perfect broadside shot turned into a quartering to wards shot. There was no doubt about the shot as I heard that distinctive thuwump. (I know I made up the word but it fits) I waited for 30 minutes and went to see what there was to see and I found the arrow buried up to the fletchings in the dirt on the far side of the doe. The dirt had wiped most of the blood and sign from the arrow so there was little to show there.

The blood trail started about eight feet from where she was standing. Here are some representative pictures from the first 50 yards of the blood trail.

This is the first blood I found:

http://i169.photobucket.com/albums/u223/HorizontalHunter/Doe09162009001.jpg

In the first blood I found I saw some stomach contents so I waited about another 45 minutes before continuing on the trail. I normally would have waited longer but it was 80 degrees so I didn't want to wait to long. In this second pic you can see the double blood trail from each side of the deer from the pass thru. She went between the two rocks in the picture. The blood trail continued like this for about 75 yards.

http://i169.photobucket.com/albums/u223/HorizontalHunter/Doe09162009002.jpg

From 75 yards to about 115 yards the blood really picked up.

http://i169.photobucket.com/albums/u223/HorizontalHunter/Doe09162009006.jpg

If you look closely in the next two pictures you can see some air bubbles from the lung blood. At this point I said to my self it won't be much further now. The doe had been going up hill so I stopped to take a breather. I look up and I see a another doe standing broadside at 20 yards. I knew that it was a different doe as the one that I shot was just starting to shed her summer coat ant the doe in front of me was fully in her winter coat. At this point I say to my self: "It is just as easy to put two on the cart as it is to put one on the cart." So I take the shot and the next thing I know there is pain flooding up my left arm from my thumb. Note to self: "When shooting a crossbow keep your digits below the string." I lucked out and only broke the thumb nail and bruised the side of my thumb, and of course I missed the second doe so now back to the blood trail.

http://i169.photobucket.com/albums/u223/HorizontalHunter/Doe09162009007.jpg

http://i169.photobucket.com/albums/u223/HorizontalHunter/Doe09162009008.jpg

Believe it or not the blood trail just about disappeared after another 10 yards or so. To say that I was surprised would be an understatement. I knew the doe had lost so much blood that she would expire. for about another 15 yards all I would find is drops of blood the size of a pencil eraser every 5 feet or so. Several times during the last 25 yards or so I was on my hands and knees looking for blood. Eventually I lost the trail altogether and had to break out the flagging tape to mark the blood trail to get a visible line of travel. I then found her in short order. It turns out that when she ran up the hill the exit hole plugged and that is why the blood trail decreased so dramatically. The total recovery was about 150 yards. When I opened her up I could see that I had hit one lung and just hit the corner of the liver. Deer are incredibly resilient animals. The hole you see in the picture is an exit hole. The broadhead cut through a rib on entry and was buried in the dirt when I retrieved the arrow. I was going to take a picture of it but it was undamaged and there was nothing to see. This is the first deer I have taken with a NAP Spitfire, but it won't be the last.

Bob

http://i169.photobucket.com/albums/u223/HorizontalHunter/Doe09162009010.jpg

Andy
09-17-2009, 02:14 PM
Congrats on taking a very nice doe Bob:icon_pidu:
I really like the way you posted the blood trail great detail this will help others that experance trailing a wounded deer .

Nice job !!!!!!

Quigly
09-17-2009, 05:39 PM
Congrats,Great job!!!

Cal45
09-17-2009, 05:52 PM
thuwump.

A sound I love to hear. Looks like it's spelled right to me. :icon_pidu::icon_pidu:

Harvester
09-17-2009, 08:27 PM
Congrats and great report.

smokepole
09-17-2009, 08:43 PM
Great read. Congratulation on a great post and a successful hunt. :)

Buck74
09-17-2009, 09:03 PM
Great Job and that was an awesome report!!!

hunterfisher
09-18-2009, 09:52 AM
'Way ta go,' Bob. :icon_winkle:

jerkyboy
09-18-2009, 10:56 AM
Nice Job,I have to use a crossbow as well so I am glad to hear you did not seriously hurt yourself on the second shot.I have the Barnett Predator and that string can hurt you.

Oldfarmsblueman
09-18-2009, 12:01 PM
Great shot and story,I didn't notice the X-bow untill the second
time I read the story.First I thought it was a compound bow then
I said why is there a gun in the picture.:icon_eek: Tough getting old:icon_e_wink: Again
congratulation on a great job.

Broadhead Joe
09-18-2009, 08:46 PM
Thanks for sharing. Great job.

Lucky-Lou
09-18-2009, 09:41 PM
congratulations on your doe and almost two! why are you shooting a crossbow? dissabled? if so im glad to see you can still enjoy the sport!! im from ct and crossbows arent allowed except for dissabled and women? anyhow nice bloodtrail. what broadheads do you shoot?

Lucky-Lou
09-18-2009, 09:44 PM
DUUHH. SPITFIRES. i should have read better. i went back to spitfires this year. i shot slick tricks for the past 2 but not impressed.

Horizontal Hunter
09-19-2009, 08:57 AM
Thanks for all the kind comments guys.

Bob

Homestead
09-19-2009, 11:30 AM
Nice doe and nice pics....Man I need to get my self out there!