PDA

View Full Version : OOOPS I Blew it

12 Ring
01-29-2010, 12:18 PM
I posted this in the wrong spot this is where it belongs

I wish I had some photos but I don't. I made a not so good shot on a 9 point buck this year hitting it in the back leg. I shot through some small branches that I thought I could get through but found that they threw my arrow off its mark. Anyway I did not hit the fremortal (sp) artery. I used a Rage 100 Gr. 2 blade broad head. I was sick to my stomach when I saw the deer standing there bleeding from his rear leg. I sat in my tree stand for 1 solid hour before I got down, knowing I just shot a deer who is going to die and I'm never going to find it. To my surprise when I got to the spot where I shot the deer it looked like someone had poured a gallon of blood out of a pitcher, and the blood trail was that a blind man could have followed. Now the deer went quite a way about 3/4 a mile and I did loose the blood trail a time or 2 but was able to get back on it after a couple min. I followed the trail to the deer who jumped up when I was about 5 feet from him only to see him fall 40 yards away. I marked the spot and went home and had lunch and got a couple young boys from the neighborhood to help drag the deer out. Went back 3 hours latter and there he was dead as a door nail. I can not say enough about these heads. The hole that they put in this deer was unbelievable and it kept the blood flowing and never closed up as it was just too darn big to allow a clott. And all I could think about if it did this on a bad hit imagine what would have happened on a good hit. I will use these heads forever or until they quit making them. They have my 100% recommendation.

CTtrapper
01-29-2010, 04:22 PM
Congratulations on following up and finding the animal. Good Job.

hunterfisher
01-29-2010, 07:01 PM
I swear by the, Rage 2 Blade. I've killed three deer with them so far. Never had one of them go over, 25-30 yards before droping dead. And the 100 gr. shoots like a field tip out of my crossbow.

12 Ring
06-04-2010, 11:23 AM
I can't get a good group with the 100 Gr. practice heads. I am looking for a pack of the new 125 practice heads I hope they make the difference!

MoodusHunter
06-04-2010, 12:15 PM
You shoot a crossbow, if I recall? If you had shot a compound I would be able to help you out a lot more. But take a look at the shaft of the bolts you are using and poundage that you are shooting. with that info you might find out that the spline on the bolt is not correct. To me this is the #1 reason people can not group broadheads and typically it is because they buy the cheapest arrows they see and figure they have to work allright. I shoot the rage 100 with my compound and I have been grouping consistently at 20 yards (which was my self imposed limit for turkey). I have yet to shoot fuirther with them(I need to for deer).

But on a side note if you do go with the 125 I'd be interested in buying the used 100 from you!

Andy
06-06-2010, 09:58 AM
I can't get a good group with the 100 Gr. practice heads. I am looking for a pack of the new 125 practice heads I hope they make the difference!

What are you shooting for arrows?

12 Ring
06-06-2010, 11:24 AM
I don't know if you guys remember I got my first crossbow this year a Excalibur Phoenix. It came with the Lite Stuff Package which consists of the Bow a base rings and a scope a cocking rope aid and Excalibur firebolt carbon arrows which are matched for the 175 lb draw weight. So I don't think its the arrows. But they do recommend a 150 head on them. Thats why I'm thinking I will do better with a 125 broadhead. I resited in with 125 field points now I'm just weighting for the 125 Rage practice broadheads. Every where I go says they start getting all their new archery stuff in July, right around the corner.

Horizontal Hunter
06-11-2010, 08:56 AM
The factory arrows come with an aluminum insert which when combined with a 100g head has a low FOC. That is why Excalibur recommends the heavier broadhead. This instability is usually far more apparent when you are shooting standard broadhead instead of field points or a mechanical.

Do you have the same accuracy issues when shooting field points? If so you should check the screws on the scope mount and the rings as they often loosen up on the Excals. I used a drop on blue loctite on the screws for my rings and the four screws for the scope mount.

Bob

MoodusHunter
06-11-2010, 10:32 AM
To add to Horizontal Hunter's comment about the FOC. It is alaso possible that the inserts are not sitting in the bolt perfectly. If they are cantering to oneside you will have huge instability problems when shooting fixed blade broadheads. There are newer inserts that claim to eliminate this problem.

On a side note one of the reasons everyone thinks mechanicals are better heads with the field point flight do not often realize that their arrows/bolts most likely have an issue with spline, FOC or insert allignment which can all cause poor flight! Mechanicals can overcome some of that because of aerodynamics.