PDA

View Full Version : 8 pointer

jerseyjim
10-11-2010, 05:45 PM
I was out last saturday night with my nephew bowhunting.I've been seeing 3 bucks in my town together for the last week and a half.A 10,9,and of course the 8 pointer.It's always been the 8 would come out first,then the other two.I set up near a creek in the woods.About 200ft from a house.Some of you might not know that Jersey just changed the law last year from 450 feet down to 150 feet. It dosen't sound like much but thats huge when you bow hunt.I always wanted to hunt that spot ,but couldn't because of the law.((not that it has anything to do about it)).Anyway,I got in my spot around 3:30 for the night.I saw 3 doe's when I first walked in.As I got near my spot,I slipped down the hillside towards the creek.I sat there till about 6:30,thats when the 8 came out of the woods and started up hill along the creek.He offered me a nice broad side shot at about 15 yards.Thats real close since I was on the ground.I desided to pass up the deer ,hoping for the 9 not the 10.The nine point rack is alot wider then the ten.But as you know it,when everything is perfect the deer dont play by the rules.The game was up,it got dark real fast after that.As far as my nephew goes((James 18 years young))got skunked real bad by doe's.

jimr
10-11-2010, 07:11 PM
I think that i would have shot the 8 at 15yards, but thats just me.haha Dont worry they will be back and im sure that you will get another crack at it. Tell James that all good things take time and patients!

bobbythehunter
10-11-2010, 09:08 PM
you never get the bigger one if you choose to shoot the smaller one. sounds like you had a good plan and stuck with it. good decision. maybe next time

passinthru63
10-11-2010, 09:41 PM
It's amazing what you jersey boys will pass on just to get a chance at winning the Big Buck pin in archery camp. First Ray passes on a buck at 5 yards and now you pass on one at 15... :confused:

Seriously though, good for you. I know you have the patience and determination to wait him out. Stay with him.

Did you hunt the gap at all on Saturday?

jerseyjim
10-12-2010, 05:09 PM
no gap saturday ,I'll tell you the story at camp.I did hunt sunday,thats a first for me.No luck on sunday,only hunted a few hours in the morning

joemichael
10-12-2010, 08:06 PM
no gap saturday ,I'll tell you the story at camp.I did hunt sunday,thats a first for me.No luck on sunday,only hunted a few hours in the morning

Hunting on Sunday?!!! I'm not used to hearing those words 'round here!

Cal45
10-12-2010, 08:15 PM
Hunting on Sunday?!!! I'm not used to hearing those words 'round here!
Not use to hearing a distance restriction archery hunting either. Here in CT there is no distance restriction. You can hunt right next to the neighbors house as long as your not on property without permission.

passinthru63
10-12-2010, 08:56 PM
Can't wait for the story Jim.

NJ just opened Sunday bowhunting on private land and WMAs (Wildlife management areas) last year. Hopefully that helps CT get it going.

jerseyjim
10-13-2010, 04:46 PM
It did feel different on a sunday morning,the fields I hunt are right next to a church.I didn't hunt that side.