PDA

View Full Version : Maine Moose Question

220combat
09-30-2010, 08:00 AM
I have always wanted to put my name into the running for a Maine Moose Tag. I have hunted deer in CT for years, and I can do that alone. My question is for those who have hunted moose. Do you use a guide, or go with friends or go alone moose hunting? If I draw a moose tag one year, I know I am not dragging that animal out alone. I am also not thrilled with the thought of packing the entire animal out myself.

Should I secure a guide BEFORE I enter the drawing? Are there guides that help with the animal removal, but not with the hunt? The hunting part is easy for me, I don't want to enter the drawing, without being prepared for everything else.

pelletd
09-30-2010, 08:52 AM
I was fortunate enough to draw in Maine a few years ago and did use a guide up there for the only reason being it was a ten hour ride , and had to learn what I was getting into . If you are lucky enough to draw a tag they will send a list of guides for that areas and they do help with removal . We got some loggers to haul and load my bull into the guides pickup with a skidder , hey enough money for a couple of cases goes a long way . When you put in make sure you put a sub premitee on there you do want to take someone with you . I also drew in NH and did that one on my own along with my brother , scouting and the hunt . I bought a motorize winch I think it is called the mule which my brother and I got my bull out that way . There is usually locals up there that will help get the moose out for a fee . One foot note I was also on a hunt with my buddy from work in Vermont where he took a bull in a field where we got the critter near the road and luckily had some rope cause had to go from sapling to sapling in that field before we got it to the tree line then my mule quit working properly and had to hire a tow truck the next morning , which he ended having just enough chain to reach that bull hauled and dropped it into my truck . So it can be done by yourself with a some help from friends . You can also have more people with you but I don't think they can actually have a weapon with them , only the tag holder and sub permitee can . Hope this helps , good luck in the draw , and if lucky in getting one it is some of the best meat out there . like you say the hunting is easy part but when you have something down you won't be putting a rope around it's neck and dragging it out , huge animal .

pelletd
10-01-2010, 02:17 PM
You know come to think of it actually started getting letters from guides congratulating me on the draw even before I was officially notified :icon_eyes:

TooManyHobbies
10-01-2010, 03:30 PM
It seems in NH and ME, the moose have to be brought out hole. Is this true? Kinda restricts hunting far off a road. In Newfoundland, we halved the animal and put them on an ATV, then to the truck. We could also quarter them and put a tag in each quarter.

pelletd
10-01-2010, 04:27 PM
I might be wrong but I beleive they can be Halved or quartered so long as the sex organs come with it

Quigly
10-01-2010, 04:51 PM
You know come to think of it actually started getting letters from guides congratulating me on the draw even before I was officially notified :icon_eyes:

I drew a tag in 2005. I got a phone call on the morning after the drawing by a guide.

Make sure the two people that you put as sub permittee will go with you. A friend of a friend had it happen to him this year. The two guys he had put on his permit backed out and he can't bring anyone else to hunt with him.

flatlander
10-02-2010, 11:06 AM
In Maine you can cut up a moose, it doesn't have to come out of the woods whole. You can take as many people with you as you want, only the sub permitee can carry weapons.I drew a permit in the early 90's, shot my bull in a logging road.

220combat
10-02-2010, 11:48 AM
Thanks all the info. I am learning the process, before I put in for a permit. I hate to get drawn before I have an understanding of the process.

passinthru63
10-04-2010, 10:07 AM

i know member JimR just got finished up processing his Maine moose and I've been bugging him to post the report and pictures and once he does you can hammer him with your questions as I'm sure he would be more than happy to answer them. They are a little worn out but still loaded with excitement from their hunt.

recurvehunter79
01-05-2011, 05:22 PM
I drew a VT bull take several years ago and I went un guided. The key if you are going alone is putting in some serious scounting time which can be difficult on an out of state hunt.

I would have found the hunt difficult if you dont have a capable sub permitee. I went with my father and it was much easier cleaning and handling a 900 pound animal with an extra guy. We actually used a guy who drags the moose out by Belgain Draft horses.

All I have to say is always put in as someon has to win. It was the most rewarding hunt I have ever been on.

white devil
01-05-2011, 06:17 PM
Drew one in maine and shot a 850 pounder. went with my friend which has a small guiding service.By far the cheapest moose hunt and he runs 100 percent. If any one wants a guided moose hunt cheap and works his butt off let me know and I will give you his number.

nehunter
01-05-2011, 07:42 PM
I have been drawn twice for Moose, Maine and VT.
I hunted in northern VT and was lucky enough to have my Dad scout every weekend for me and we used the Horse Guy to drag it out out. Cost me $150.00 which helped me out immensely, it was a 2 1/2 mile drag from the main rd.

I hunted Maine Zone 4 this past September and chose to hire a guide. He scouted for a week straight and set up a camper for me when I arrived. He had all the equipment and knowledge in getting the 949# Bull out of the woods! It was 75 degrees out and it would have spoiled if I had to do it myself. He only charged me $2000 for all meals lodging and guiding for me and my Dad. If I scouted the few weeks in advance I would have lost my CT bow hunting time and spent at least $750 in fuel and lodging.

Don't hire the "Camp" style outfitters they will have 5-10 guys in Camp. I used a local guy who only guided me, no one else.

Good luck, it took me 15 Years to get my preferred Zone and week!

cope n lead
01-05-2011, 10:30 PM
hey i have a cabin just south of houlton (Amity) its full of moose for the record but in maine im pretty sure non residents need to get a guide to hunt moose just something to check into me and my father have been trying to get those permits for many years now but definatly put your name in and even if you cant go you could always sell the tag good luck

Telcomfaust
01-15-2011, 03:38 AM
http://www.maine.gov/ifw/licenses_permits/lotteries/moose/index.htm

Some highlights

Lottery Nonresidents

$15.00 = One-chance
$25.00 = Three-chances
$35.00 = Six-chances
$55.00 = **Ten-chances

** Nonresidents may purchase multiples of 10 chances at $55.00 each.
Example: 5 multiples of 10 chances would cost $275.00 (5 x $55.00 = $275.00)

Permit Fees

Successful applicants are required to pay a permit fee before they may obtain their permit. Permit fees are as follows:

* Resident - $52.00
* Nonresident - $484.00

http://www.maine.gov/ifw/hunting_trapping/registration_tagging/index.htm#conditionofanimal

Condition of animal presented for registration. A person may not present a bear, deer, moose or Wild Turkey for registration unless it is presented in its entirety, except that the viscera and rib cage of the animal may be removed in a manner that still allows the determination of the sex of the animal; and a moose may be dismembered for ease of transportation, and the lower legs, head and hide of a moose may be removed. If the head of the moose is not brought to the registration station, a canine tooth or the lower jaw must be presented at the time of registration. Parts of a moose not presented for registration may not be placed where they are visible to a person traveling on a public or private way.

flatlander
01-15-2011, 11:27 AM
hey i have a cabin just south of houlton (Amity) its full of moose for the record but in maine im pretty sure non residents need to get a guide to hunt moose just something to check into me and my father have been trying to get those permits for many years now but definatly put your name in and even if you cant go you could always sell the tag good luck
Non residents can hunt moose without a guide.