PDA

View Full Version : calling?

buckwild
09-14-2010, 10:08 AM
I have only hunted this early once about 20 years ago. Being this early in the season do you use any type of calling? Most are still in feeding patterns I would guess. So bleating would be good right? What about grunting or a snort wheeze if ya see a whopper?

TooManyHobbies
09-14-2010, 10:17 AM
I always have calls with me. Mostly doe or fawn bleats at this time. Sometimes light grunting. A fawn distress call can be awesome to bring in does on the run. very exciting. I haven't seen my fawn distress call in a couple years, I hope I find it in the house somewhere. I may have lost it in the woods.
Stay away from aggressive grunting and rattling for a couple weeks (mid october). Although I've heard rattling can work even in Sept, I haven't tried it.
I won't use calls at all for the first few times out.
Don't forget your turkey calls if you have the tags.

MoodusHunter
09-14-2010, 12:37 PM
I use some doe bleats and fawn distress calls early on. Bucks and does both will come in and investigate. I try not to use them for the first week or two though b/c I'm trying to catch a buck in his summer feeding pattern still.

And I forgot to get my turkey tags, again! Did the same thing last year and a group came by and watched but I got one the following week when they did the same thing!

DeerSniper
09-14-2010, 02:23 PM
I was actually wondering the same thing myself because I'm ganna be out there for a long time tomorrow how does a fawn disrtress call sound? I have the primes hard wood grunter and the primes hands free buck and doe call both of which make 6 different sounds.

TooManyHobbies
09-14-2010, 03:12 PM
Moodus, you have a computer don't you? Turkey tags are just a few clicks away.

Sniper, a fawn distress sounds similar to a rabbit distress, different tone. Long drawn out wailing, will bring does on the run. Will also bring in just as many coyotes, so if you want extra excitement...
The coyotes always pick me out before I see them, but the does don't.

One time, I had a doe from the west (too brushy), a doe from the east (too far) and a coyote from the north (saw me first), all come in at once. I didn't get a shot at any of them.

Oh, and don't think it's gonna work everytime out. Seems it works the first time on each property and then not at all. All blind calling. I'm not sure if I ever used it on deer I could see, just when nothing else was happening.

DeerSniper
09-14-2010, 04:26 PM
I might have to give it a try if there's nothing else going on in the afternoon I think I actually have a DVD that came with one of my calls I'll have to find it and watch it tonight.

Spotted Crow
09-14-2010, 05:02 PM
I did a distress call back in March april??? I had 4 Doe come flyin in. I was just messin around. I use my Doe call, put it on Fawn and make it sound like a dog got hit by a car!