PDA

View Full Version : Need Help Choosing A Bow

AlloyToy
08-23-2010, 02:33 PM
Looking for some bow help for my 10 year old son.

He has an old Bear kids bow and went to a 3D shoot yesterday with a friend and his friends dad. He got a 3rd place pin and was ecstatic!!

I haven't bow hunted in years due to coaching soccer in the fall, and am out of touch with the bow scene. However my son wants "a better kids bow" for target shooting in the back yard.....something not to much$$$$ but something with sights and a bit more power that he can learn to shoot with.

Any recommendations and help is appreciated....

220combat
08-23-2010, 02:36 PM
Check this one out:

http://www.pse-archery.com/prod.php?k=70975&u=0517MZ

Many guys don't like PSE bows, and their recurve bows are junk. But, they make a nice youth compound.

youngbuck
08-23-2010, 02:42 PM
get him a diamond razors edge u can get the whole package at cabelas for about 350$ its weight is adjuatable from 30 to about 65lbs and the draw length has like 11 inches of adjustment hell be able to shooti it until he wants a different bow cranked all the way up and at 29inch draw length we got 287fps out of my fiances... in my opinion there the best bow on the market for someone who is gunna grow out of any other bow quickly hell be able to shoot tht thing until hes 20 if he wants

passinthru63
08-23-2010, 03:30 PM
I'm with youngbuck here. Look for something that offers upa wide range of draw lengths and weight adjustments so he can grow with it. Use it for targets and move right into hunting with it until he has a job and can buy his own. Did that with my son when he was 10 and now my daughter is using his old bow. Best money I ever spent. We had the Browning Micro youth bow though.

MoodusHunter
08-23-2010, 03:56 PM
I've heard/read good things about the razor with its nearly infinite adjusment! You won't find a better deal for a bow that can be shot for the next decade! Stonecrusher and Quigly both have kids in that age bracket with bows, they will have some good insight for what they are using.

Spotted Crow
08-23-2010, 05:11 PM
Pse Chaos .
Diamond Razors Edge.
Bear Truth 2 Young guns ( My Daughter shoots great bow)
These are the bows I would go with.

My daughter want to trade for the PSe Chaos because I shoot a PSE Bow Madness and they look the same!

Is he Right or left? She is lefty but right eye dominant, but shoots better lefty.
So I dont buy the eye dominants crap.

Andover Archery has a Right handed Bear TRuth 2 there! I think It was under 3 for the Bow! Columbia Sports had a few PSE Chaos in stock as well! I thnk 315 or so for a ready to shoot package!

StoneCrusher
08-23-2010, 05:45 PM
My 9 yr old has this 2009 Diamond Nuclear Ice (it will fit her for several more years to come, which is very important when buying a bow for a kid):

just click the link and then click on Nuclear ice bow:
http://www.diamondarchery.com/products.php

We got it in the bargain cave for ~$120. I think they sell for $180 in the upstairs bow department of cabelas. It is a nice bow and I have no complaints about it. It uses high-end technology cams and parrallel limbs.
This has draw length adjustments from 14" to 24" and weight adjustments from 10 - 30 lbs. Cranked up, it will chuck an arrow at 200 feet per second.

comes with
hostage arrow rest
3-pin sight
quiver,
and arrows (suggest you buy good arrows of the correct length)

AlloyToy
08-25-2010, 07:42 AM
Thanks guys for all the suggestions.....time to do my homework

Ironically a neighbor came over with a Browning bow for my son that was his sons years back. He has seen him practicing out back with his Bear bow and had no use for the Browning so gave it to my son......

I can't for the life of me remember how to figure out the draw length ect...is your draw hand suppose to be at your ear (there about) when you draw back?? Like I mentioned it's been a few years...

The ATF just audited my local firearms/hunting store which I would normally go to to set this bow up for my son and get him arrows. After 6 months of auditing found one paperwork filing violation/dilemma and shut them down....STINKS!!!
They sold me my bow years back, and I bought many firearms from them over the years.....

MoodusHunter
08-25-2010, 07:53 AM
The ATF has been cracking down on all the little gun stores as of late. But anycase for draw length if he is shooting fingers a good anchor point is the corner of the mouth with his trigger finger. If shooting a release there is no defintive location, some go under the ear, some under the jaw it is all about what is comfortable for him.

Andy
08-25-2010, 07:54 AM
The ATF just audited my local firearms/hunting store which I would normally go to to set this bow up for my son and get him arrows. After 6 months of auditing found one paperwork filing violation/dilemma and shut them down....STINKS!!!
They sold me my bow years back, and I bought many firearms from them over the years.....

You would think they would cut them some slack that really suks ...

*HuntЯ*
08-25-2010, 09:55 AM
Heres a guide i have saved that might help with figuring draw length. Might make a good sticky?

Draw Length

When your bow is fitted at the proper draw length you will be at your most comfortable and accurate body position. If the draw is too short your peep will be too far from your eye for a clear view and your shortened power stroke will cost you speed and energy. Too long a draw and your release hand may not anchor firmly against your cheek, your bow arm will want to hyperextend causing a loss of control, and your bowstring can contact your cheek or clothing destroying the accuracy of your shot.

Here is an easy way to find your draw length, simply stand upright with your arms stretched out (hold naturally, do not hyperextend) and measure your armspan from fingertip to fingertip. Take this measurement and divide by 2.5. This will give a good starting draw length for your bow. Many bows are adjustable in draw length and can be changed if you want to try a different draw. However I recommend you stay with the starting draw, straying too far will lead to instability and reduced accuracy. Use the following chart as a quick reference on choosing your draw length.

http://i13.ebayimg.com/02/s/06/cd/28/bf_2.JPG

Draw Weight

Your ideal draw weight is one you can pull in a smooth, controlled manner under hunting conditions. If you hunt in cold weather which most of us do, the combined effects of cold muscles and adrenaline will reduce your controlled draw weight 10 to 15 pounds from what you can manage indoors or on a warm day. Every year I encounter hunters who failed to reach full draw in the presence of game animals! Don't make this mistake, the modern compound bow is highly efficient and maximum poundage is not required even for large game animals.

Most men find somewhere between 55 to 65 lbs to be their comfortable maximum, for women it is 35 to 45 lbs. The following chart shows my recommended bow adjustment range for adults. Keep the following points in mind when using it to fit your bow.

Bows are adjustable over a ten to fifteen pound range but work slightly more efficiently when set in the upper end of their range. For example if you would like to shoot 60 lbs it is better to choose a 45-60 lb bow then a 55-70 lb one backed down to 60 lbs.
When in doubt choose the lower poundage, you will have plenty of power for hunting and will be sure to stay in control.
New archers will increase the poundage they can handle by 10 or more pounds in just two weeks of daily practice.

http://i20.ebayimg.com/03/s/06/d1/29/8e_2.JPG

Andy
08-25-2010, 12:37 PM
I made this post a sticky so it wont get covered up,Thanks HuntR :icon_super:

AlloyToy
08-25-2010, 12:58 PM
You would think they would cut them some slack that really suks ...

Very sad!!! No slack what so ever...honestly one finding after a 6 month audit!! Guy had two choices...to fight it in court (no win!!) of forfiet his dealers license.....very sad

Andy
08-25-2010, 01:25 PM
Very sad!!! No slack what so ever...honestly one finding after a 6 month audit!! Guy had two choices...to fight it in court (no win!!) of forfiet his dealers license.....very sad

How many years were they in business?
This is not right for them to pull his dealers license there must be something they could do ?????

AlloyToy
08-25-2010, 02:31 PM
How many years were they in business?
This is not right for them to pull his dealers license there must be something they could do ?????

The business has been there for years.....this new guy aquired the business about 8 years ago....

Here is the story:

Just about everything was on sale at Valley Sports Center on Tuesday, but bargain hunters cashed in with heavy hearts.

Owner Timothy L. Divoll has announced he will close the sporting goods store on Route 10, a mainstay for area hunters and fishermen, on July 25. The abrupt closure comes on the heels of an inspection by the U.S. Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco and Firearms.

No one, including Divoll, was willing to say much about the inspection and its ramifications, but the going-out-of-business signs appear to be related to it.

Longtime customer Shawn P. Connelly, of Easthampton, expressed his condolences to Divoll while buying a bucket of bait. Out in the parking lot, Connelly said he will miss both the inventory and the service.

"There's not any place where you can buy live bait," he said. "I don't know where I'm going to get minnows."

Connelly added that Divoll was a big part of the shopping experience. "He's just such a nice guy," he said. "He's a respectful hunter and fisherman."

Robert W. Recos, of Chesterfield, also had good things to say about Divoll but was suspicious about the factors that are driving him out of business. "I think it's a back-door approach to gun control," Recos said.

Divoll, who has owned the business for nearly eight years, declined to talk about the ATF investigation. He did say that 80 percent of his business comes from gun sales, and now that he is no longer allowed to sell guns, he cannot survive.

His customers, Divoll said, have been overwhelmingly supportive. "There's an awful lot of frustration," he said.

Shopping the aisles of Valley Sport Center is a little like roaming a zoo. The heads of elk, deer and antelope look out from the walls, and an entire stuffed black bear stands side-by-side with a huge turkey. In addition to his stock of guns, Divoll carries compound bows, fishing reels, lures, bright orange hunting hats and tins of strong scents that are appealing to deer, bear and other critters. A sportsman himself, Divoll said he does just about everything except bow hunt....