PDA

View Full Version : New born

Andy
05-29-2010, 09:18 AM
I was on my paper route this morning i came up on a turkey laying on the side of the road so i stopped and backed up to check it out thinking it may have got hit as i backed up she jumped up and the ground around her started to move it was 16 small pullets the size of my fist they could not fly so they hung with mom really tight,i never seen this before in the road..

CTtrapper
05-29-2010, 09:22 AM
Wow, She must have been teaching them to just let the danger pass, they were so small and still they just blended in. First I've heard about any Poults. Hopefully, some survive and mature.......Dang Fisher cats

spike_horn
05-29-2010, 10:43 AM
Wow, 16!

I heard of poults 2 weeks ago. On one property I hunt, a neighbor walks her 2 labs daily on it, her dog nailed a poult last week :mad:

Andy
05-29-2010, 01:57 PM
On one property I hunt, a neighbor walks her 2 labs daily on it, her dog nailed a poult last week :mad:
That suks Poults have a very tough time surviving until they can fly what i dont understand is why they were lying on the side of the road maybe the warmth from the road???

Spotted Crow
05-29-2010, 03:17 PM
No she was teaching them that it is ok to be around these things,(cars) Just stay to the side of the orad and you'll be ok chickies! Its the things that get out, thats when it's time to run and hide!

Cal45
05-29-2010, 05:32 PM
No she was teaching them that it is ok to be around these things,(cars) Just stay to the side of the orad and you'll be ok chickies! Its the things that get out, thats when it's time to run and hide!

I agree. She was teaching highway 101. It's ok as long as you stay to the side and let the cars pass. If the car stops and someone gets out run as fast as your little legs will carry you.:smiley:

CTtrapper
05-29-2010, 07:50 PM
I agree. She was teaching highway 101. It's ok as long as you stay to the side and let the cars pass. If the car stops and someone gets out run as fast as your little legs will carry you.:smiley:

LOL. I used to teach my kids the same thing!

Oldfarmsblueman
05-29-2010, 07:51 PM
About 15 + years ago I was running my Beagles at Ruby farm in Willington.
I was watching the dogs as I walked in a field of high grass.Off to my
right somthing 20 feet away stood up and spread it's wings and startled
the life out of me.It was a hen turkey that was laying in the grass in
hopes that I would walk by and not see her.I was right on top of her and
I can still see all the little chicks dropping out from her body where she
had them hidden.She flew about 50 yards and I could hear her calling
to them to get them all back togeather.A sight I'll never forget!!

bobbythehunter
05-29-2010, 09:12 PM
nice to hear she had a mess of poults. this is the second person who i know trhat has seen "large broods" yipee. we need to get the population back up. my sate land spots down here in the southeast are devastated!

Oldfarmsblueman
05-30-2010, 07:33 AM
Large broods are a great start but it's a long hard road to maturity :icon_eek:

Cal45
05-30-2010, 02:59 PM
Several years ago I was going up through a field behind the house on my tractor. All of a sudden from the middle of the field about a dozen birds about the size of a small chickens (maybe about a pound) started coming up out of the grass and flying to the far side of the field. I had no idea what the heck they were. Then all of a sudden I saw a hen turkey run across in front of me. I stopped and shut the tractor off. She started calling and pretty soon I see the poults come across in front of me over to where the hen was. Then I knew what everybody was.

Homestead
05-30-2010, 08:33 PM
I have yet to see any this year, I have seen a ton of little geese every where...