PDA

View Full Version : Turkey Bowhunting

pb4life1200
11-23-2009, 09:45 PM
Does anyone Turkey bow hunt here? If so could you give me some tips
Thanks -Joe

DeerSniper
11-23-2009, 11:22 PM
I got my tags just incase one happens to walk by and there hasen't been any deer activity. It's pretty much just like hunting with a shotgun but gatta bring them in a bit closer and have a better shot I just picked up some guillotine brood heads but haven't gotten a shoot off with one yet.

Oldfarmsblueman
11-24-2009, 07:27 AM
You need a blind !!!!!

MoodusHunter
11-24-2009, 09:54 AM
I shot one a month or so ago with the bow during a deer hunt. 3 toms just walked in and I shot with slick trick broadheads the turkey flipped and was done. Ishot from a treesatnd about 15 yrds away, they can see very well. During the spring we use the bow and a blind. I have a good spot this year so it should be more enjoyable then last

pb4life1200
11-24-2009, 12:27 PM
Thanks guys!

What about using calls?

DeerSniper
11-24-2009, 12:51 PM
Thanks guys!

What about using calls?

There is no other way to Turkey hunt its a must. I use the Primos Power Crystal and I have some mouth calls which are nice because you can shoot while still calling them in but they are very difficult and I haven't figured them out yet. You can also get a box call which are very easy to use too. I find it best to pick up a instructional video to learn how and practice but its not to hard.

MoodusHunter
11-24-2009, 04:38 PM
using calls in the fall doesn't work like it does during the spring. The only way to call in a turkey during the fall is if a flock gets split up and then you can try to call them back together. Othere then that during the fall it is sit and wait, I bought the the tag after having the turkeys come by once during deer season. I think I found a good spot for the spring.

TooManyHobbies
11-24-2009, 05:03 PM
I buy the tags every year for the last 10 or so (which will probably come to an end with doubled lic. fees). Haven't shot one yet with the bow, I'm 0/6 overall and 0/2 this year. I've been soooooo close for most of them, but they bob and weave too much.

pb4life1200
11-24-2009, 11:54 PM
Thanks everyone for all the info! I look forward to getting out there and trying for a turkey