PDA

View Full Version : New Tagging Rules DEP EPO Interpertation

Horizontal Hunter
11-21-2009, 10:03 PM
I had a most unpleasant encounter with an EPO today when I called in a report of someone hunting with a shotgun in a bowhunting only area.

I had shot a doe earlier in the AM and put the tag in my wallet and dragged the doe to my stand. After calling in the shotgun hunter I offered to meet the EPO on the trail. When I left to meet him I took the tag out of my wallet and put it in my back pack which was 10'-15' from the deer.

The abstracts state that: "The Kill Tag must be kept with your deer or turkey until it is processed for consumption. While transporting your kill, you may keep the Kill Tag in your pocket or wallet. However, if you leave the kill, the completed Kill Tag must remain with the animal."

The officer's interpretation of that is that if you are more than 1 arms length away from the deer the tag must be attached to the deer. He gave me a verbal warning for "improper tagging" which he called in and this will now be on my record which was unblemished for 30 years of hunting.

It just goes to show that no good deed goes unpunished. I will never ever call in another report unless a life is in jeopardy.

I just thought I would pass this along to save others some grief.

PUT YOUR TAG ON THE DEER.

Bob

StoneCrusher
11-22-2009, 02:03 AM
a verbal warning is not a blemish on your "RECORD". It is just a verbal warning to help you understand what that officers' personal understanding of the law is, and nothing more..
Even if you were to get a Summons, the judge would decide if it would be put on your permanent record or throw it out (becuase of your perfect record).

Andy
11-22-2009, 08:51 AM
Here is a copy of the law pretaining to tagging .

Immediately upon making your kill, complete a Deer/Turkey Kill Tag (http://www.ct.gov/dep/lib/dep/hunting_trapping/pdf_files/KillTags09.pdf) (pdf). The Kill Tag must be kept with your deer or turkey until it is processed for consumption. While transporting your kill, you may keep the Kill Tag in your pocket or wallet. However, if you leave the kill, the completed Kill Tag must remain with the animal.....

I didnt know this untill you posted it to bad you got nailed for something so minor....

Horizontal Hunter
11-22-2009, 09:28 AM
a verbal warning is not a blemish on your "RECORD". It is just a verbal warning to help you understand what that officers' personal understanding of the law is, and nothing more..
Even if you were to get a Summons, the judge would decide if it would be put on your permanent record or throw it out (becuase of your perfect record).

According to the EPO he called it in and it is now "in the computer" and on my record. It will come up if I am run again for wildlife violations. The only reason I left the deer was to meet him on the trail.

Bob

Oldfarmsblueman
11-22-2009, 09:54 AM
There all the same.I called the state police about a guy with a
hot rod ATV burning up and down the road.The trooper was in
my yard and I could see him looking around.I have a barn with
windows in it I could read his mind.What do you do in that barn?
I wish I had said.O I grow pot have a math lab,prostitutes and
a roulette wheel.I just looked at the Ass**** and said why don't
we just go look.I opened the doors and said "O' there's my table
saw and my wood pile and my work benches.I could see he was
pissed because he didn't get the BIG BUST.Most cops and wardens
will put more effort into tyring to get you than have to deal with
somthing else where.I have lots of game warden stories and none
are good.I even have a friend who hunted with one and he shot
over the limit of pheasants!!!!!!!!Be very careful if you call one.They
are checking on you more than for the reason you called.Remember
every one is bad except them.JMO:icon_eek:

hunterfisher
11-22-2009, 11:23 AM
Sounds like a rookie officer looking for a name, if you ask me. I didn't see or read where it says anything about how far away the tag is allowed to be from the kill.

deerslayer921
11-22-2009, 12:53 PM
Sounds like some ass***** in your area.I know some officers personally and they are not like that at all.Sounds like a rookie who will one day learn what his job is about and not have these issues of power because his wife is like that to him at home.

hammer
11-22-2009, 01:53 PM
Well Horizintal Hunter if i were you i would file a formal complaint on that officer. As minute as it is it will still go in his file.

evilbeagle
11-22-2009, 04:02 PM
Unfortunately, you run into people in authority like that every once in a while. Seems like they get into the field for the wrong reasons. But IMO the roulette wheel and prostitutes sound like a good business to be in. lol

Allincamo
11-22-2009, 04:53 PM
I think he was just doing his job.. the law states the tag must be attached to the deer immediately i take that to be ..put the tag on the deer before you take pictures or field dress.

Horizontal Hunter
11-22-2009, 06:10 PM
I think he was just doing his job.. the law states the tag must be attached to the deer immediately i take that to be ..put the tag on the deer before you take pictures or field dress.

The law used to say that before the changes this year and that is what I always did. This is how it now reads:

Immediately upon making your kill, complete a Deer/Turkey Kill Tag (http://www.ct.gov/dep/lib/dep/hunting_trapping/pdf_files/KillTags09.pdf) (pdf). The Kill Tag must be kept with your deer or turkey until it is processed for consumption. While transporting your kill, you may keep the Kill Tag in your pocket or wallet. However, if you leave the kill, the completed Kill Tag must remain with the animal.....

I will be sending a complaint to the head of the DEP once I get a chance to write it.

I have been checked many times over the years in both Mass and Connecticut and never ran into this kind of nonsense. The only reason I posted it was to spread the word so no one else gets into trouble over this nonsense.

I called in a violation, stopped hunting and uncocked my crossbow, and left the deer to meet him on the trail and I ended up being treated and feeling like a criminal. I will never again call to report a violation. I think that OFB is right.

Bob

Allincamo
11-22-2009, 06:34 PM
The law used to say that before the changes this year and that is what I always did. This is how it now reads:

I will be sending a complaint to the head of the DEP once I get a chance to write it.

I have been checked many times over the years in both Mass and Connecticut and never ran into this kind of nonsense. The only reason I posted it was to spread the word so no one else gets into trouble over this nonsense.

I called in a violation, stopped hunting and uncocked my crossbow, and left the deer to meet him on the trail and I ended up being treated and feeling like a criminal. I will never again call to report a violation. I think that OFB is right.

Bob If you called the tips line you can call back get a report # and you would be eligible for a reward that program offers.

Quigly
11-22-2009, 08:06 PM
What if you didnt have a pen in the woods with you? I guess I should put one my pack.

bobbythehunter
11-23-2009, 02:24 PM
this state never ceases to amaze me. they come up with these new rules which are confusing to say the least and then issue warnings when someone is obviously trying to do the right thing.

when i went to tag my deer opening day the biologist told me that "he thought i was supposed to report the kill prior to taking it to the check station"! can you believe that one! the state official (the biologist) is there with my deer, and a metal tag, and a weight, and a form, and an age, and "he thinks i'm supposed to call it in before i get to the check station" .
you figure it out because i sure can't. i reported it when i got home.

you did the right thing. i'm glad he didn't ticket you!!

Homestead
11-23-2009, 03:55 PM
That sucks, most of the ones I have run into around my part of the state have been okay, but none of them were new. Most of them are retiring if they have not already, they did their jobs and were fine to deal with. The new guys are out to make a name for themselves and they throw out commonsense and respect for others. No different then a young policeman. Do any of you know if dragging it out is transporting? These new tags are so strong they will rip if you sneeze on them.

Cal45
11-23-2009, 04:59 PM

The law no longer states this. It now says "Immediately upon killing a deer or turkey, complete and sign a Kill Tag and keep it with the carcass at all times." To me this means in the vicinity but does not say how near or far. In this case I think both parties were wrong and right because it just is not cut and dried. I do believe though that the CO was more wrong in what he did.

passinthru63
11-23-2009, 05:34 PM
good luck attaching that crappy piece of paper to your deer. The only thing you can really do is get one of those large license holders with the big pin and pin it to the deer, but if they wanted you to do that the rules should say "Attach" but they don't anymore.

I would definitely complain to DEP about that one and get clarification from the office.

Unbelievable...Welcome to CT.

Allincamo
11-23-2009, 07:17 PM
The law no longer states this. It now says "Immediately upon killing a deer or turkey, complete and sign a Kill Tag and keep it with the carcass at all times." To me this means in the vicinity but does not say how near or far. In this case I think both parties were wrong and right because it just is not cut and dried. I do believe though that the CO was more wrong in what he did.it would be so much easier being a ANTI!

Maxheadspace
11-23-2009, 11:02 PM
These paper taggs aren't going to last long attached to the deer if you have ot leave it.

Allincamo
11-24-2009, 07:02 AM
These paper taggs aren't going to last long attached to the deer if you have ot leave it. bring a small zip lock and tape or tie it to the carcass, shove it in the ear and tie the ear closed.