PDA

View Full Version : How High?

bowtech
12-26-2007, 07:03 PM
On average....what height do you maintain ?
I personally like ladder stands which are 15' high in total but after they are kicked out 4' from the tree , that finds me at an average of 13'.

It makes it harder to go higher when I do use the climber because it then seems like I am getting very high.
I dont do very high .... hate heights* ;D

Tedicast
12-26-2007, 07:51 PM
To me, it isn't a question of height, but a question of available cover. Most of our ladders get put in Cedars, or hemlocks. Our hang on stand height totally depends on the cover available.

Skipmaster1
12-26-2007, 09:11 PM
I will go as low as 15-18' IF I am in a hemlock/ceder tree or have GREAT cover.

I have started using 20' sticks and they are nice but about as low as I'd go under most situations.

I do have some stands up to 35' depending on the terrain.

I found that i rarely get busted or winded at higher heights and can get away with more movement.

12-26-2007, 10:10 PM
I'm too freakin old and beat up to go any higher than the buddy stand which ends up around 12-13 feet.A friend of mine is like Skip way up there 25 -30 with the climbin sticks.I found one in Naugatuck state forest this year during B-season .Looked like you'd get a nose bleed up there* :o.* Not for me !

cb
12-27-2007, 09:51 AM
I generally go about 15'.* I'm not big on going up high, and 15 feet seems to be enough in most situations.

CB

bowtech
12-28-2007, 01:01 PM
I do have some stands up to 35' depending on the terrain.

:D
Friggin' eagles are soaring around below you* ;D

Andy
12-28-2007, 01:32 PM
Well since i fell off a 15 ft ladder stand you will never ever get me more then one foot off the ground one foot means lifting one foot while the other is planted firmly on the ground ;D ;D,I used to hang my stands no less then 18 feet the important thing is to have good cover...My .03 cents worth :)

Cal45
12-28-2007, 06:11 PM
I use to put mine 25 to 35 feet up. A lot of guys didn't like the height so they would stay out of them. They were mostly on public land. High stands don't bother me. Now if I am in a stand it is usually 15 to 20 feet up. I go that high with a climber and I'm all pooped out by the time I get up that high. ;D

jamaltwy
12-29-2007, 10:18 AM
12 - 15 feet for me I like fixed stands over climbers i do have a climber but after carrying it in and climbing to 20 foot i fall asleep from being exagusted!!!

Oldfarmsblueman
02-16-2008, 01:34 PM
* * My fixed stands are 15' My climbers can go to any height need
depending on the tree and how far I need to see.I have a hard time
finding a good tree sometimes in the area I want to hunt.I found out
very fast which trees climb nice and the ones that scare the heck
out of me when you slip a few inches in the dark.I'll take a nice ash
over any other.
* * * * * * * * * * * * * * Pete

Cal45
02-16-2008, 06:34 PM
* * I found out
very fast which trees climb nice and the ones that scare the heck
out of me when you slip a few inches in the dark.I'll take a nice ash
over any other.
* * * * * * * * * * * * * ** Pete

A shag bark hickory is alot of fun. Like climbing a steel flag pole! Like you said a good sized ash anytime. Problem is with all of the trees in the woods it really is hard to find just the right one. Either is too small, to big, leans the wrong way or has too many low branches. What happened? Did our forefathers cut down all the good trees years ago?

CT SwampHunter
02-16-2008, 11:33 PM
I don't bow hunt anymore but I like to go 13 to 15 feet up. That is average for me.