PDA

View Full Version : Traditional archery?

bowtech
12-18-2007, 06:41 PM
This is the last year I will have hunted with the compound I believe.
It's been 5 years of hunting with the recurve and to be honest....this year I could have simply hunted the recurve alone.
I would have taken 3 deer rather than 5 but then again....I would have stayed in stands that were traditional friendly had I used only the recurve* ;)
Who knows what might have happened* ???

Anyone who has not given a simply stick and string a try should....if for no other reason then to build those back and shoulder muscles for a easier anchor with the compound.
Of course....if you are shooting with a disability this might not work for you* :P
That being said....I tore my shoulder out of the socket some years back and the doctor said that if I was going to insist on shooting a bow , I should start back with a longbow.
He was an archer and understood that I was going to shoot, regardless of what was best for my overall health* ;D

I started with a 25# recurve and built up to a 45# before going back to a compound and ending up at 60#.
I never could shoot over 60# with the compound....just too much to be comfortable with.
Over the last two years though , I have gone from a 50# recurve to a 70# recurve and I am looking for a 90# in the future.
The ability to build past physical limitations with the stick is very real so I would ask you to consider it* :)

Skipmaster1
12-19-2007, 12:08 AM
I'm pissed that my Super Shrew was left upstate for most of the season but I have it now! I will be taking at least 1 deer with it before the season is over. I can't let BT have all the Trad fun!

Hunting with Traditional equipment is just amazing. I can't believe I went so long before finally picking it up to hunt. if anyone is interested in trying it, let BT or I know. with some practice and our tips you would be suprised how quickly you can become proficient with it. Last year was the first time I hunted with my recurve and on my 3rd hunt I took this guy!
http://i56.photobucket.com/albums/g167/skipmaster1/IMG_0329.jpg
He weighed 250#'s and was 6.5 years old.
Talk about a RUSH. I was shaking harder than i was on the first deer I ever shot!
Do yourself a favor and try Trad equipment...........chances are you'll be hooked. I am!

bowtech
12-23-2007, 04:47 PM
Come on now folks* :o
Certainly someone has considered the possibility* ???

TooManyHobbies
09-12-2012, 07:45 PM
What happened to these two guys? Was doing a google search on Traditional Archery and this thread came up.

Horizontal Hunter
09-12-2012, 08:24 PM
What happened to these two guys? Was doing a google search on Traditional Archery and this thread came up.
SkipMaster can still be found over on archers edge occasionally but the site has pretty much lost most of his following since BT had some personal issues and headed north to Maine. I believe he is back in New York but hasn't been on the site in a long time.

He made a deer lure called Butternut which was excellent but he sold the rights to it to another company and they won't respond to emails. Truly a shame as BT was a wealth of knowledge and I am almost out of butternut.

Bob