PDA

View Full Version : porcupine

drummerwood
01-25-2009, 09:31 AM
I was out hiking for sheds this past Fri. in some thick ledge and heard a noise behind me, as I turned I saw a big porcupine working his way up a hemlock tree. I watched him climb for a while, great to see they are moving back into my neck of the woods.

Oldfarmsblueman
01-25-2009, 01:04 PM
They like to hang out around ledges.The last few times I had
anything to do with them I was pulling quills out of a dogs face.
NOT FUN:icon_e_surprised:

boomer44
01-25-2009, 09:04 PM
I've never seen one in CT, are they common here?

Buck74
01-25-2009, 09:38 PM
I have seen quite a few in the Woodstock area. This hunting season I saw the same porcupine 2 times while hunting a field in Woodstock. I also saw that same porcupine over the summer near the same spot. I had to grab a hold of my lab and hold him back. they don't move to fast and love to climb trees.

Deuce
01-26-2009, 08:00 AM
Where abouts in Woodstock?

Andy
01-26-2009, 12:50 PM
I havent seen one in many years ,they are noctural no???

drummerwood
01-26-2009, 07:16 PM
This big guy I saw was moving around 4 p.m. They havn't been many around us for a long time but they seem to be making a come back. I have seen sign from them in the woods on trees but hadn't seen one until this one. I'll be going back for sheds I'll be sure to bring the camera and try to get a pic. to post.

Buck74
02-05-2009, 06:56 PM
Off Sherman Road

Oldfarmsblueman
02-09-2009, 07:54 AM
I know in the state of NH they released fisher cats to help
kill of the porcupines.They ended up doing more harm to
the snow shoe rabbits.

savage99
02-09-2009, 10:15 AM
drummerwood,

While I am quite familar with porkupines having shot many in VT I have never seen one in CT.

I find them a pest. They damage timber and I have seen deer with quills stuck in their noses and lips.

We shot them in VT. What is the CT law on shooting porkupines?

CT SwampHunter
02-09-2009, 01:50 PM
I saw one once in Union. Sadly to say he was taking a permanent nap on the sad of the road.

hunterfisher
02-09-2009, 04:50 PM
Did ya'll know that porcupine liver is one of the best eating livers there is? It is also called, ''a woodsmens best friend.'' Because the porcupine is a very slow mover, and a lost outdoorsmen is able to overtake them easily and avoid starvation. I can remember, back in the later 40's, when there was a bounty on them up in Vermont. You would get .50 cents for their ears. I can remember my dad stopping the car, more than once, and jumping out with a ball-pinned hammer when a ''porky'' unfortuneatly crossed the road in front of us. He would come out of the woods with the ears. We would stop at the townclerks house, collect the .50 cents, and head for the ''general store,'' Dad would buy us kids ice cream with the money. Man, that was a treat.

Kenny

Oldfarmsblueman
02-10-2009, 08:53 AM
As a kid we went to Vermont and that was my big game hunting.
I can remember taking many shots with a 22 single shot to get
them out of the trees.They would do a lot of damage and would
do anything to get salt.Many a tire was chewed if your dog pissed
on it and the porcupine needed salt.They would stay up a tree
for hours just taking off the bark.I knew a guy that had a barrel
of salt and would run down and wack them with a special board he
had for that purpose.

hunterfisher
02-10-2009, 04:46 PM
As a kid we went to Vermont and that was my big game hunting.
I can remember taking many shots with a 22 single shot to get
them out of the trees.They would do a lot of damage and would
do anything to get salt.Many a tire was chewed if your dog pissed
on it and the porcupine needed salt.They would stay up a tree
for hours just taking off the bark.I knew a guy that had a barrel
of salt and would run down and wack them with a special board he
had for that purpose.
Oh yeah, I forgot about the tires bluesman, you're absolutely right. By the way, what part of Vt. did you go to?

Kenny

BigOutdoors
02-10-2009, 05:25 PM
I can remember my dad stopping the car, more than once, and jumping out with a ball-pinned hammer when a ''porky'' unfortuneatly crossed the road in front of us. He would come out of the woods with the ears. We would stop at the townclerks house, collect the .50 cents, and head for the ''general store,'' Dad would buy us kids ice cream with the money. Man, that was a treat.

Kenny
in the early 70's in N.H they had a bounty on them.i can remember driving around with my uncle,he would see one dead,slam on the breaks jump out and cut the head off.then off to the town clerks office.we would go ing and place the paper bag on her desk,she would ask what is that,he would say porcupine head.she would make faces,ask how many and then tell him to get ride of them,at that time it was 10.00 per head

hunterfisher
02-10-2009, 07:13 PM
$10.00 ? Wow! How time changes things. Thats 1/4 of a weeks pay, back in the forty's.

Kenny