PDA

View Full Version : Duck/ Water Dog

DrakeBuster
12-28-2008, 03:20 PM
Im the proud handler/trainor of a 4 month old chocolate lab pure breed AKC. I picked him up at 6 weeks old with out any shots from a young breeder in Texas. I know 6weeks is a little young to be removing from mom but so far no real big training issues. Im new to waterfowl hunting and my first time out got me hooked! Im looking for advice and guidence. Ive been working with the basics, dummy retrieves and hand and whitle commands. its gooing ok but hes has little attention deficit disorder like his handler. If theres anyone with in the New Haven area that may be able to teach a young dog some new tricks. Let me know. Thanks

Andy
12-28-2008, 06:14 PM
Welcome aboard DrakeBuster i love labs and goldens which i have two goldens now .
Good luck with the pup i am looking forword to updates on how pup is doing in its training classes...

DrakeBuster
12-31-2008, 02:17 PM
Took him out this morning to Cromwell Meadow, it was cold and windy no snow till like 830/9 oclock. The river was well over its banks. We threw a dozen dekes 6 mallards/hens and 6 geese in a shallow hard wood area sat back and called. Had one flock of geese come through to far to shoot. My dog on the other had wanted to scope out the area and do a little swimming. We decided to pack it up when he started shivering and snow start blowing. Better luck next time. Gotta do some more work with the pup.

spike_horn
12-31-2008, 04:01 PM
Remember, the dog is a puppy. Ever see a kid who played with anything for more than 5 minutes? Expect the same from your pup!

I have a 6 mo old chocolate myself, also my first. She is getting better all the time but ready, no.

ScrugneysGundogs
01-01-2009, 10:03 PM
I wrote up some training tips when my last dog was a puppy. Read through here: http://egfg.org/bbs/viewtopic.php?t=242 There should be some stuff you can use.

Andy
01-09-2009, 10:12 AM
Great stuff thanks for sharing Chuck!!:)