PDA

View Full Version : First deer off my land

ctrider
10-01-2017, 06:52 AM
Last November I purchased a house with 4.75 acres that backs into stateland. It's been a dream to own enough land to hunt and last year Bishop helped me setup a ladder stand over one of two traversing trails on my hill. With limited trail cam photos, it was difficult to figure out a pattern and where they were cutting through.

I woke up at 3:45 on Saturday morning to the sound of rain and canceled any distant hunting plans and set my alarm for 5:15 to check in again on hunting my hill if it wasn't pouring. I woke at 5:15, radar showed the rain had finished up, got dressed, grabbed my bow and headed to the stand.

It was perfect temps around 50 with the wind blowing downhill towards the house. When legal light came and I could see enough to make a shot, I stood as my first hunt this season a doe surprised me and I wasn't in shooting position before the opportunity passed.

Scanning left and right and occasionally behind me, about 6:30 I spotted a doe at my 6:00 already looking at me. I ducked backed behind my tree and reposition my feet to take a shot at about my stands 4:00.

We played the peekaboo game for a couple minutes before she started walking again. As she stepped behind some brush I raised my bow, she froze. I leaned into the tree to reduce movement and fatigue. After 30-60 seconds she took two more steps in which I drew back. She stopped with a tree covering the vitals except a front should shot. My right leg was shaking uncontrollably. This is only my fourth season bowhunting and with few encounters. Holding at full draw she took one more step exposing the vitals. I let the arrow fly and hit with a good thwack! "Holy crap I just got the first deer off my hill" went through my mind as she ran the 30yds from my stands 4:00 to 2:00 position and crashed behind a tree. I could barely see her but watched closely and nocked another arrow just in case as I had seen the back end kind of dragging as she ran, expecting a spine or bad shot. I prayed for a quick passing and shortly after I heard a heavy exhale. I waited a couple minutes and whistled and kicked my stand to ensure she was expired and texted and called Bishop and Adam who were setting up on geese. A few more minutes and I climbed down to find a healthy looking doe I'd estimate at 1.5 years old. In looking for my shot I was both disappointed, embarrassed and relieved. I missed the vitals but had a complete pass through the back end hitting the major arterie(s). I enjoy shooting my bow and desire to make quick and clean kills. Call it nerves, or she took a step or both, probably a combination but I was grateful it was a quick kill regardless. This was the reason I switched to a expandable broadhead (Grim Reaper 125gr) and shoot heavy FMJ arrows)- just in case you need a little insurance. Almost no blood trail from the high hit but lots where she crashed/rolled and inside the cavity.

Easy one hand drag down my hill to the barn. Would you believe my plans were to build my outdoor sink, counter top and skinning station that day? Not having all the components ready to go I reached out to PassinThru who lives just a few minutes away to see if he minded lending a hand. He was happy to as I picked him up, went back to the house where he gave me a quick field dressing lesson (Bishop and I usually hang them when we're together) and headed off to his buddies who has a sugar shack that doubles as a skinning shed.

I appreciate the help but most of all building of a friendship, a few tips and tricks and comradarie of BSing while cutting up a deer followed by a great breakfast and retelling the story of the hunt. Finished the day with grilled tenderloins.

Great day all around, grateful for all of it!

https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20171001/5f967a96314ad7c600f631cc1d6f0bb5.jpg
https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20171001/787bcd75abe2a4cb769a2936e5476222.jpg

Mallard870
10-01-2017, 07:01 AM
That must be quite a feeling, taking a deer on your own land. Congrats on a nice doe to start things off.

Bradysmaster
10-01-2017, 07:08 AM
That's awesome she is a beauty!!!

WoodsmanA
10-01-2017, 07:11 AM
Fresh meat in the freezer. That's what it's all about!! Congrats man

bishopreid83
10-01-2017, 07:46 AM
Great story! Congratulations on the kill behind your house. I wish you many years of success back there.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

S2H
10-01-2017, 08:17 AM
Nice job, congrats. I've arrowed a deer in the a$$ before after the arrow skipped a branch... Lucky to catch the main arteries along the back...dead in 75 yds and I've never seen a better blood trail.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

Grizzlyadam
10-01-2017, 09:05 AM
Good deal, glad it all came together for you at your place! Good looking doe, congrats!

Andy
10-01-2017, 09:28 AM
Nice doe congrats,,,,,,,

Carbon Express
10-01-2017, 09:52 AM
Great story! Congrats

TooManyHobbies
10-01-2017, 05:30 PM
Congrats. Sometimes you have to rely on luck. May not have been the vitals you were aiming for, but vitals nonetheless. Go get another just to make sure it wasn't a fluke.

bbahunter
10-01-2017, 06:25 PM
Congrats on your doe.

Dive4Blood
10-01-2017, 11:48 PM
Congrats on the doe, and nice write up. The killing isn't always pretty but at least she went quickly. I passed on 3 does yesterday, and the first momma and skipper that were under my stand gave me a huge adrenaline rush. After I drew on them and gave them the pass, when I sat down my legs were shaking. Lol, I get that from the first deer I see under my tree every season even when I know I'm not gonna shoot. It's a great feeling of being alive, hope it never goes away.

VMR
10-02-2017, 10:08 AM
Great story - thanks for sharing. Nice to get a deer off your own land.

drevoviii
10-02-2017, 10:12 AM
Nice work, congrats

RABBIT HUNTER
10-02-2017, 01:14 PM
Good job on getting it done.

passinthru63
10-04-2017, 07:24 AM
I know all of us were as happy for you as you were. Glad I was able to help and be part of your first deer on your property. Great job and congrats!

I love the fact that as I enter my 40th hunting season I continue to get the opportunity to meet new people and add them to our circle of friends.

OFB
10-04-2017, 10:27 AM
Nice doe!Congratulations.