PDA

View Full Version : what's your slug

Deerslayer98
10-22-2015, 09:07 PM
What is your favorite deer slug and why

Dive4Blood
10-22-2015, 09:15 PM
https://youtu.be/Iox-l0WI1N0

Winchester 12 ga 3" Supreme Partition Gold slugs. They are very accurate in my Ithaca rifled slug guns, carry huge energy, retain weight, and destroy animals. Have killed tons of stuff with them for years.

Yellow_dog
10-22-2015, 09:39 PM
i've had good success with Hornady SST out of my remington 870 with rifled slug barrel. They have high velocity and are real accurate out to about 150 yards. I've dropped several deer in their tracks with them. I've use the partition gold slugs too with good success, but they seemed to have a bit more kick and are usually more expensive.

Horizontal Hunter
10-22-2015, 10:20 PM
Remington slugger out of my smoothbore Winchester. It has been getting the job done for me for years.

bob

S2H
10-23-2015, 05:38 AM
https://youtu.be/Iox-l0WI1N0

Winchester 12 ga 3" Supreme Partition Gold slugs. They are very accurate in my Ithaca rifled slug guns, carry huge energy, retain weight, and destroy animals. Have killed tons of stuff with them for years.

+1...only for the 20ga...tons of energy in those things!!

MTN_Infantry
10-23-2015, 08:51 AM
Hornady SST ... carry plenty of energy and very accurate out to 150 yards

pepperdawg
10-23-2015, 10:02 AM
roger - Hornady SST's too.

bk63
10-23-2015, 11:52 AM
I've taken a lot of deer with Federal Sabot slugs. I can keep them in about a 2 inch group at 100 yards and have taken many deer with them. Once I had one go through a deer and then through the one I didn't see behind him. Luckily my friend was there with another tag and we both dragged out that day.

AlloyToy
10-23-2015, 02:08 PM
Remington slugger out of my smoothbore Winchester. It has been getting the job done for me for years.

bobX2 exactly

MTN_Infantry
10-23-2015, 03:29 PM
I've taken a lot of deer with Federal Sabot slugs. I can keep them in about a 2 inch group at 100 yards and have taken many deer with them. Once I had one go through a deer and then through the one I didn't see behind him. Luckily my friend was there with another tag and we both dragged out that day.

BK - I'm sure you know this but legally that's the wrong response.

For any newbies or someone else reading this, if that ever happens in the future call your local ENCONN officer or dispatch. Explain what happened to them. You'll find most of the officers are much more reasonable and understanding then people think. They might use it as a teaching point in saying this is why you need to be sure you your target and what is beyond it but very few will "bust your balls". I believe this is actually a current question on the hunter safety exam or a review question in the book during that section.

deermanct
10-23-2015, 06:53 PM
Hornady SST's and Federal Tru-Bal. They both perform well out of my Mossbergs.

Grizzlyadam
10-24-2015, 10:32 AM
Lightfield 3.5 inchers perform best in my mossberg 935. I've tried most of the other high end slugs. Seems to me many slugs are like fishing lures and camo, designed more for catching hunters than fish or deer.

deepcallin
10-24-2015, 02:13 PM
Lightfields in my H&R ultra slug, hits same hole at hundred yards

Sent from my XT1031 using Tapatalk

bk63
10-25-2015, 08:48 AM
BK - I'm sure you know this but legally that's the wrong response.

For any newbies or someone else reading this, if that ever happens in the future call your local ENCONN officer or dispatch. Explain what happened to them. You'll find most of the officers are much more reasonable and understanding then people think. They might use it as a teaching point in saying this is why you need to be sure you your target and what is beyond it but very few will "bust your balls". I believe this is actually a current question on the hunter safety exam or a review question in the book during that section.

If I had been alone I would have called ENCON. The second deer was in the laurels directly behind the first which was out in the open clearing. You could not even see it until you were right there where the first one dropped. And there was nothing but rock ledge right behind that. I've passed many shots over the years because I felt it would not be shooting in a safe direction. But since my buddy was there he didn't care he had very limited time to hunt and was very happy to drag one out. I don't see the need to call ENCON if somebody else is happy to tag it.

Horizontal Hunter
10-25-2015, 10:58 AM
If I had been alone I would have called ENCON. The second deer was in the laurels directly behind the first which was out in the open clearing. You could not even see it until you were right there where the first one dropped. And there was nothing but rock ledge right behind that. I've passed many shots over the years because I felt it would not be shooting in a safe direction. But since my buddy was there he didn't care he had very limited time to hunt and was very happy to drag one out. I don't see the need to call ENCON if somebody else is happy to tag it.

I believe that MTN's point was that the second deer was an unintentional violation of the game laws as you didn't have a tag for it. Having someone else tag it is just breaking more laws.

If you aren't going to follow the rules that is you choice but I damn sure wouldn't post it on a public forum. Many people believe the internet is anonymous. It's not.

Bob

bk63
10-25-2015, 11:10 AM
I believe that MTN's point was that the second deer was an unintentional violation of the game laws as you didn't have a tag for it. Having someone else tag it is just breaking more laws.

If you aren't going to follow the rules that is you choice but I damn sure wouldn't post it on a public forum. Many people believe the internet is anonymous. It's not.

Bob

So what if I called ENCON and told them somebody else wanted to tag it. Would that make it better? The results would of been the same. This was about 15 years ago and I don't even hunt deer anymore. Really not a big deal.

Dive4Blood
10-25-2015, 11:33 AM
Lightfield 3.5 inchers perform best in my mossberg 935. I've tried most of the other high end slugs. Seems to me many slugs are like fishing lures and camo, designed more for catching hunters than fish or deer.

Lightfields in my H&R ultra slug, hits same hole at hundred yards

Sent from my XT1031 using Tapatalk

Getting back to the original topic of the thread, I used to use 3" Lightfield Commander IDS slugs. They were by far the most accurate slugs I have used. But I did not like the terminal performance on bone. They are not made for breaking bone, more for broadside shots to the vitals, being that they are solid lead with a plastic sabot. When you have a perfect shot, they would leave a large smoking hole without a pass through. But if you hit shoulder or other bone, I have seen them get up and run off, requiring tracking and a finisher. So eventually I switched to the partitions. But Lightfields are awesome flying slugs.

Grizzlyadam
10-25-2015, 12:37 PM
Your right about that, I shot a buck a few years ago quartering away, took out the heart and lungs and the slug was lodged in the opposite shoulder. No exit. I wont change to something else though, I fully believe that any deer hit center of mass with a 3.5 inch lightfield is just as dead as with anything else.

Dive4Blood
10-25-2015, 01:58 PM
I take scapula shots and frontal shots when I'm gun hunting in addition to the gimme shots. I like to stack the odds in my favor and increase the types of shots I can take and put animals down. The Partitions I use blast through bone and perform like a bullet which fits what I'm looking for.

MTN_Infantry
10-25-2015, 01:59 PM
So what if I called ENCON and told them somebody else wanted to tag it. Would that make it better? The results would of been the same. This was about 15 years ago and I don't even hunt deer anymore. Really not a big deal.

I believe that would depend on the officer. One might allow your buddy to take it and save his tag if he wants to go out a different day and anther might not.

I'm not trying to bust your stones. I'm sure there are some who wouldnt know what to do if they were alone or didn't have a friend that wanted to use their tag. You made a choice and stuck with it, beats leaving it in the woods to rot. My comment was more for the newer hunters or those lurking who are often new/inexperienced hunters or someone interested in getting into hunting.

Prior to you joining the site we used to have a ENCON officer on here. He frequented the site often, giving advice, answering questions, and educating members. Often times with subtle things they did/posted about that were illegal (decoys bow hunting when gun is open, bow hunting state land during shotgun season on a non-bow only area, target shooting in a SF, ect). There is an ENCON officer who was supposed to fill-in and he has not been on in a while (I'd guess other duties trump this). Having met him several times before I do not believe he is one who'd give you a citation for something like that or posting it but use it as a teaching point for all so I wouldn't worry about that.

To the original topic, the SSTs are bone crushers as well in shotgun slugs and muzzleloader projectiles. To Dive's credit I might need to experiment with those other slugs and see how they out of my shotgun. I'm curious how many hunt with a non 12 gauge? I know we've gotta have a few 20 gauge and 16 gauge fans on here

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Dive4Blood
10-25-2015, 02:01 PM
What are you guys who hunt with 20 GA slugs using?

I have a 20 GA Ithaca Deerslayer I been considering using, but every year I reach for my 12 ga Ithacas. If ain't broke don't fix it I guess, lol.

bk63
10-25-2015, 03:52 PM
I believe that would depend on the officer. One might allow your buddy to take it and save his tag if he wants to go out a different day and anther might not.

I'm not trying to bust your stones. I'm sure there are some who wouldnt know what to do if they were alone or didn't have a friend that wanted to use their tag. You made a choice and stuck with it, beats leaving it in the woods to rot. My comment was more for the newer hunters or those lurking who are often new/inexperienced hunters or someone interested in getting into hunting.

Prior to you joining the site we used to have a ENCON officer on here. He frequented the site often, giving advice, answering questions, and educating members. Often times with subtle things they did/posted about that were illegal (decoys bow hunting when gun is open, bow hunting state land during shotgun season on a non-bow only area, target shooting in a SF, ect). There is an ENCON officer who was supposed to fill-in and he has not been on in a while (I'd guess other duties trump this). Having met him several times before I do not believe he is one who'd give you a citation for something like that or posting it but use it as a teaching point for all so I wouldn't worry about that.

To the original topic, the SSTs are bone crushers as well in shotgun slugs and muzzleloader projectiles. To Dive's credit I might need to experiment with those other slugs and see how they out of my shotgun. I'm curious how many hunt with a non 12 gauge? I know we've gotta have a few 20 gauge and 16 gauge fans on here

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I've found Encon to be hit or miss over the past 30 years. Some were good and some were seriously not. I hunted the same duck blind for almost 30 years. It's in a marsh area where you can walk in from the road. The DEEP guys knew about it and often walked in on opening day, right at the start of the first day, interrupting us at 7am. We did what we had to and they left. The past few years some new ones walked in on some of my friends, gave them a really hard time about things like shooting ducks they could not retrieve, which they weren't doing, searched all their gear and held them up for almost 2 hours to the point they put in a complaint. I don't go there anymore because of it. I do my best to abide by all the laws but also do my best to avoid them if possible.

Horizontal Hunter
10-26-2015, 01:03 PM
Hornady SST ... carry plenty of energy and very accurate out to 150 yards

My dad gets the same out of his Mossberg 500 rifled slug barrel.

Bob

SilentMoose
10-26-2015, 02:44 PM
What are you guys who hunt with 20 GA slugs using?

I have a 20 GA Ithaca Deerslayer I been considering using, but every year I reach for my 12 ga Ithacas. If ain't broke don't fix it I guess, lol.

I shoot 2 3/4 Hornady SST's. found that they group a little better for me than the 3 inchers out of my 20g 870.