PDA

View Full Version : New Jersey biologists remove arrow from young deer's head

Horizontal Hunter
11-13-2013, 08:03 AM
New Jersey biologists remove arrow from young deer's head Published November 10, 2013Associated Press

http://a57.foxnews.com/global.fncstatic.com/static/managed/assets/660/371/deerarrow.jpg?ve=1
In an undated photo provided by the New Jersey Department of Environmental Protection, a young male deer stands with a hunter's arrow through it's head, in New Jersey. (AP)

ROCKAWAY TOWNSHIP, N.J. Wildlife officials have removed an arrow from a young deer's head and released the animal back into the New Jersey woods.
The arrow that had completely pierced the 5-month-old male deer's head was removed Saturday by biologists with the Department of Environmental Protection.
The biologists who did the procedure say the arrow had not damaged any major arteries or organs and the deer's prognosis for survival is excellent.
The animal was treated with preventive antibiotics and released back into the wild.

Read More:
http://www.foxnews.com/us/2013/11/10/new-jersey-biologists-remove-arrow-from-young-deer-head/?intcmp=latestnews

Zack87
11-13-2013, 08:09 AM
People suck. Makes ethical hunters look bad too

Oddshot
11-13-2013, 08:29 AM
I might be new but I don't know any hunters that use an arrow like that. Wood shaft maybe traditional?

Some dumb kid maybe?

Very sad.

RackAssassin
11-13-2013, 08:43 AM
I don't know any hunters that use an arrow like that.

Wow ain't that the truth. Any way you look at it, it makes hunters look bad.

SilentMoose
11-13-2013, 08:56 AM
It looks like one of the cheap aluminum ones they sell at Dicks or Walmart

Brad
11-13-2013, 09:15 AM
Looks to be an older cheap alum arrow as well. Ratty feather fletch and look at the broad head, old school but looks cheap too. Kids or chump, no matter, a fool for taking a shot like that.

TooManyHobbies
11-13-2013, 10:39 AM
Hey guys, my arrows look like that. I would guarantee it's a trad archer. Accidents happen, it may not have been an intentional head shot. Deflected off branch maybe. Doe jumped and turned. Maybe he flinched when he shot. Or she turned her head and caught the arrow. A friend of mine shot a doe with a compound a few years back. Just as he released, she turned to lick her side. Nailed her head right to her chest. Killed her. If this happened with a trad bow, there may not have been enough energy to go through head and chest. I'm not going to slam the guy, without knowing what happened.

Outdoor Trophies
11-13-2013, 11:49 AM
Hey guys, my arrows look like that. I would guarantee it's a trad archer. Accidents happen, it may not have been an intentional head shot. Deflected off branch maybe. Doe jumped and turned. Maybe he flinched when he shot. Or she turned her head and caught the arrow. A friend of mine shot a doe with a compound a few years back. Just as he released, she turned to lick her side. Nailed her head right to her chest. Killed her. If this happened with a trad bow, there may not have been enough energy to go through head and chest. I'm not going to slam the guy, without knowing what happened.

I was thinking the same thing. My recurve arrows look almost like this and the broadheads too. Magnus two blade are very sharp if you take care of them. How many of you have made a bad shot to the gut? Does that make you unethical? My brother in law hit a deer in the head and he would never even think about taking a shot like that. Something between release and contact changed and made it a bad shot. Maybe some idiot thought it would be funny or that he could drop it in its tracks but we will never know. As many have said in any case it looks bad, and in turn, bad for hunters.

Dive4Blood
11-13-2013, 12:23 PM
The arrow is an Easton Game Getter, its a good aluminium arrow. I have killed a lot of deer with them, although I don't use them now lots of guys do. I think it was more than likely an accident, lots of "experienced" hunters screw up shots every year, just read some of the CT bowhunting forums. It is what it is, but it makes the news for one reason : HYPE. It's not in the news to help hunters, so consider the source and get the whole story before passing judgement.

Spotted Crow
11-13-2013, 03:57 PM
Deflected arrows don't happen. :icon_eek:

35REM
11-13-2013, 08:17 PM
I call BS photoshop on this. Arrow is disproportionately large compared to the size of the deer and the broadhead is clean... also even a low weight bow would have put that arrow all the way through.

Broadhead Joe
11-13-2013, 08:26 PM
Video of arrow removal

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bTJFVzq7gL0