PDA

View Full Version : Kicking myself!

Dive4Blood
03-02-2013, 05:38 PM
So a few months ago I swung into Cabelas to pick up ammo when the panick buying had just begun.
Even then, .308 ammo was all gone. But, I happened to come across 8 boxes of Hornady Zombie Max ammo someone had moved to another location in the store.

I was familiar with the line of bullets and had looked at them before in .223 because I do a lot if shooting, training, and comparisons of different loads with my .223 bolt guns. Hornady is pretty tight lipped about the ZMAX bullets. Probably because they are just yellow tipped VMAX bullets sold cheaper as a marketing ploy. The ZMAX were always a good $2.00 a box cheaper than the VMAX, I just didn't bother with them.

So I ended up buying the 8 boxes of them because I like 168 gr bullets in one if my .308's, and I wanted to conserve the rounds that I already use for hunting. Two days later I went to the range. At 100 yds I was very suprised at the groups I was getting, under a minute. I really wasn't expecting that kind of accuracy for the price, but I'll take it.

Today I shot a monster coyote with that round(see the predator hunting contest thread), and now I am convinced they are just yellow VMAX's.
I just wished I stocked up on them. Cabelas had tons of them cheap right up till recently.
If you get an opportunity to grab some cheap, regardless of the zombie graphics on the box, they are good to go.

Chefjlevy87
03-02-2013, 06:02 PM
I'm curious, what .308 do you use? My savage LOVES the 168gr A-Max but HATES the 168gr. Zmax... I thought the same as you... they are a cheaper version of the same thing... I may have to re-test and see if it was wind playing with me....

Dive4Blood
03-02-2013, 06:19 PM
I have used those rounds in a stainless Winchester Model 70 with a sporter barrel profile. It's the only rifle I have tried those rounds in.
You are right, I think they are AMAX bullets. I did some research last summer, and now I remember reading that.
They turned the lungs into goo, and the heart was blown to pieces in that coyote I shot today. Left an exit hole about 1 1/4" in diameter.
Did you test vmax and zmax for groups side by side same day same conditions?

Chefjlevy87
03-02-2013, 06:24 PM
No, I did not... I have been able to regularly group the A-MAX (Hornady custom load) at around .5" in 100 yards... the Zmax was grouping at about 1.5-2" for me... but wind may have been a factor...

MTN_Infantry
03-04-2013, 03:43 PM
My 700 in .308 loves the zmax rounds, I tested the amax and zmax along with 12-15 other brand rounds and weights the same day. The zmax and amax were essentially the same group size if I remember right the zmax was tighter and .5" higher at 100 yards where as the amax was barelly a bigger group. I chose the zmax because they were cheaper and I had a better group (not by much). The difference could have been slight shooter error since I was shooting from a lead sled. The drop was also the same when I pushed it to 300 yards.

I got 6 boxes of these rounds left I'll probably shot 2-3 rounds before the season to confirm my zero and hopefully 1 round per Deer I harvest each season.