PDA

View Full Version : Info from those with AR experience

JToys
12-24-2012, 09:19 AM
Hey Guys, looking to eventually add an AR 15 to my collection but cant part with $1200 right now. Any thoughts on what I can do prior to them banning them again? I was looking into getting a Stag, but like I said, I dont have 1200 to part with right now

Thanks

J

Chefjlevy87
12-24-2012, 09:40 AM
get a good lower,should cost no more than 350, and is considered the firearm. this way are have it before the ban and can drop what ever upper on it when you have more money.... this is exactly what i am doing.

Durhamboy (No Longer A Member)
12-24-2012, 03:03 PM
get a good lower,should cost no more than 350, and is considered the firearm. this way are have it before the ban and can drop what ever upper on it when you have more money.... this is exactly what i am doing.

HAHAHA good luck now.... The cheapest ones I could find were 550 this week. Last week I got one for 140. The demand is high, so are the prices.....

Chefjlevy87
12-24-2012, 03:06 PM
Contact Chris at p3llc.com he hooked me up

Dive4Blood
12-24-2012, 04:27 PM
Don't even look at buying a complete rifle. The prices are sickening! The gouging has started already!

Grabbed a new in the box Spikes Tactical stripped lower for $399, and I did good. It's insane what they are asking for these guns and parts too. I also grabbed an RRA lower parts kit with a Hogue grip for $125, which was reasonable but took some work to locate.

Even the parts are becoming scarce. The manufacturers are all saying 8 to 10 months on lowers and parts. Get what you can before they're gone. Even without a ban your gonna look long and hard for stuff soon enough, then get raped on the price!

I can live with what I paid for the stuff today. I've been looking to buy a LaRue Stealth Sniper to swap onto my Colt AR for a scoped upper.

Oh well, looks like I will be building a whole new rifle.

Diver414
12-24-2012, 08:13 PM
$850 at Hoffmans. "Windham Weaponry"... In my opinion they are making the superior rifle of today. Formerly BUSHMASTER staff!!!

Yea in case you didn't know the Bushmasters 10+ years ago that everyone came to know as a household name, with proven reliability was sold. The new buyers only wanted the name, unbeknown to the owner/founder of BM.

After the sell out the new owner cut down on manufacturing costs by substituting plastic where possible, closed the Bushmaster facility in Windham, ME including laying off hundred of workers in a small town that relied on that business.

After a "no competition clause" in the sale contract the ORIGINAL BUSHMASTER owner began Windham Weaponry in the old facility, and hired back all the former employees.

http://www.windhamweaponry.com/content_meet_our_team.asp

WINDHAM WEAPONRY HAS MY VOTE HANDS DOWN!!!

kwengenroth
12-24-2012, 08:52 PM
Colt
M4 Carbine

model le6920 or le6970

Best bang for buck hands down no exceptions, pin your stock pin and weld a compensator to meet CT regs. You are late to the game and unless you find a steal of a deal do not spend more than $1250. You will only be supporting the price gouging.

Diver414
12-25-2012, 08:57 PM
Anything over $1,000 is ridiculous unless your going for long range competition.

For a CQB rifle your insane to spend close or over $900

12-26-2012, 08:38 AM
Anything over $1,000 is ridiculous unless your going for long range competition.

For a CQB rifle your insane to spend close or over $900

Depends... I looked at one for 1300 a few months ago.. It was a S&W M&P 15T with a troy midlength quad rail, troy flip up sights, MFT vertical grip, and a Nikon p-223 scope on expensive QR rings... Decent setup.. It even came with a wicked nice hard case. Went against it though. Decided to build my own instead.. I'm far too picky for factory lol.

danno1993
12-26-2012, 09:04 AM
Depends... I looked at one for 1300 a few months ago.. It was a S&W M&P 15T with a troy midlength quad rail, troy flip up sights, MFT vertical grip, and a Nikon p-223 scope on expensive QR rings... Decent setup.. It even came with a wicked nice hard case. Went against it though. Decided to build my own instead.. I'm far too picky for factory lol.

That the one at the shop? Sounds real similiar from what i remember

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy SIII using Tapatalk 2

Jimfire85
12-26-2012, 09:49 AM
just wait until credit card bills show up at the end of january, you will see a lot of second hand sales popping up. Magazine restriction maybe, but a full on platform ban, I don't think is likely due to the vast numbers of the rifle in this country, not to mention the number of them sold in the last 2 weeks. supply and demand is in effect right now, everyone wants one so prices are high retail and private sales, I'll probably get flamed for it but I have no problem seeing capitalism in action, buy low sell high and all that. I just sold a complete spike tactical lower a few weeks ago for $300, my loss someones gain, im sure they can easily flip it for $600 if they felt compelled to, its just how the market works.

edit-NRA memberships are still $25 , if they aren't you top player in 2A support, there are several other organizations that do big work for our rights for about the same price.

JToys
12-28-2012, 09:38 AM
So I have an oppty to buy a lower for $150, but I am so new to buying parts I dont know if brand matters. Any thoughts?

12-28-2012, 10:41 AM
Honestly for that price just get it. the sizing and part locations are standardized and they are wicked easy to build. you'll do just fine building one.

MTN_Infantry
12-31-2012, 02:33 PM
If you don't want to buy that Lower I'll buy it off you or them

Diver414
12-31-2012, 03:27 PM
I guess I assumed when I read he wanted one before they ban it. Under tat impression I figured buy the cheapest one you can that will still allow you to customize it to your hearts content post ban.

$1300 for all that isn't a bad deal :)

12-31-2012, 03:37 PM
I guess I assumed when I read he wanted one before they ban it. Under tat impression I figured buy the cheapest one you can that will still allow you to customize it to your hearts content post ban.

$1300 for all that isn't a bad deal :)

Ah, got ya! No prob lol I wasn't offended or anything.. I agree. A basic model with nothing fancy isn't worth over $900. According to a law that was proposed federally you would have to pay 200 bucks every year to own any gun that can hold over 10 rounds. I would be broke! Somehow paying uncle sam makes mass murders stop.....

Chefjlevy87
12-31-2012, 03:45 PM
Somehow paying uncle sam makes mass murders stop.....

Totally! those criminals pay all the taxes they are supposed to on stolen goods!

35REM
12-31-2012, 07:23 PM
Hey Guys, looking to eventually add an AR 15 to my collection but cant part with $1200 right now. Any thoughts on what I can do prior to them banning them again?

Thanks

J

"The Ban" will not change anything in CT. All the provisions of the Federal Ban were in effect in CT prior to it passing as a Federal Regulation and are still in effect today. The Federal Ban was partially based on CT State Legislation that was passed in 1993. Anything you can buy in CT legally today, you will still be able to buy in CT even if the Fed ban in re-enacted. The exception would be if they pass a high capacity mag ban...

So don't spend too much of lowers right now... Buy some mags and stack them away. If this fiscal cliff thing hasn't showed us anything... it has showed us we have nothing to worry about on the AWB or a mag Ban... They would not be able to come to an agreement on anything.

CT-Hunter
01-01-2013, 08:44 AM
"The Ban" will not change anything in CT. All the provisions of the Federal Ban were in effect in CT prior to it passing as a Federal Regulation and are still in effect today. The Federal Ban was partially based on CT State Legislation that was passed in 1993. Anything you can buy in CT legally today, you will still be able to buy in CT even if the Fed ban in re-enacted. The exception would be if they pass a high capacity mag ban...

So don't spend too much of lowers right now... Buy some mags and stack them away. If this fiscal cliff thing hasn't showed us anything... it has showed us we have nothing to worry about on the AWB or a mag Ban... They would not be able to come to an agreement on anything.

We are not sure what any new federal law will include. Feinstein's (D-California) proposal clearly goes well beyond our (CT's) current law. The proposal by Bye (CT State Senator) also goes well beyond the the current law. Will they get all they are seeking? Not likely. But it is likely that they will get some. How much? I don't know. I suspect Bye will get most of what she proposed (Malloy and veto proof democrat control of the legislature). I would not be surprised if Feinstein gets the 1994 law back may be without a sunset provision.

35REM
01-02-2013, 05:48 PM
If Bye's proposal was passed this would be a mute point as all the AR/M4 variants would be banned due to the pistol grip.

mags over 10 rd would also be banned so owning those would be illegal as well.

Sen. Bye and Rep. Godfrey‘s proposals—which will be packaged as one bill—will seek to:

Prohibit the sale and possession of any rifle, shotgun or pistol magazine with a capacity of more than 10 rounds;
Expand the definition of an ‘assault weapon’ under current Connecticut state law to apply to firearms which exhibit just one particular physical trait, as opposed to two (i.e., the presence of a pistol grip beneath the action of the weapon);
Require the registration with state law enforcement officials—and the biennial registration renewal—of all firearms by model and serial number;
Institute a 50-percent sales tax on the sale of ammunition and firearms magazines;
Require a permit to purchase ammunition;
Prohibit the online purchase of ammunition;
Prohibit the purchase of ammunition in Connecticut by anyone who is not legally authorized to possess a firearm in Connecticut;
Prohibit the storage of firearms and ammunition in a manner that allows access by persons under age 18.

RichieOxford
01-02-2013, 07:08 PM
So I have an oppty to buy a lower for $150, but I am so new to buying parts I dont know if brand matters. Any thoughts?
is this through a dealer or private seller if it is a dealer where? i will have no problem buying one even though i already have my AR demand for these is extremley high right now!