PDA

View Full Version : how many?

BigOutdoors
12-16-2012, 06:51 AM
how many guns should you own?this question just puzzles me.i have friends that own many long guns and pistols,my question is "why" you can only use one at a time.most of them just sit around because they dont use them.i would rather take the money that they spent on other guns and use it to upgrade what i already own.i only own 4 long guns each have a specific purpose.

rem 870,that i use for birds and turkey shoots,and skeet

browning bps,that i use for deer hunting

cva 50cal muzzelloader

and a 22 for plinking,teaching kid st shoot

and i am thinking about getting a blackpowder pistol just for playing around

Quigly
12-16-2012, 07:23 AM
As many as one can afford... They are collections to a lot of people just like cars, Jay Lenno comes to mind... There should never be a limit put on guns. That is just another foot hold for the peckers in office to take away them away from us. I say buy as many as you can... Oh yeah they can have mine when they pry it from MY COLD DEAD HAND!!!!! JMO...

Julie Kaye
12-16-2012, 07:37 AM
Totally agree with the "pry from my cold dead hand"

however-I like to own what has purpose.

Edited because dive4blood is right.

BigOutdoors
12-16-2012, 08:30 AM
As many as one can afford... They are collections to a lot of people just like cars, Jay Lenno comes to mind... There should never be a limit put on guns. That is just another foot hold for the peckers in office to take away them away from us. I say buy as many as you can... Oh yeah they can have mine when they pry it from MY COLD DEAD HAND!!!!! JMO...

i understand about it being a collection,but i dont see collectors getting 6 ford fiesta's.this what i am talking about,they are buying guns that 10's of thousand were made,so there is a slim chance that it would be a collectors item.
and i never said there should be a limit.

you dont here of a bow hunter owning 6-7 or more bows

CT-Hunter
12-16-2012, 08:37 AM
There was a congressman from Texas (I think Gramm) who was asked this very question. His reply was "More than I need and not as many as I want".

Dive4Blood
12-16-2012, 09:08 AM
how many guns should you own?this question just puzzles me.i have friends that own many long guns and pistols,my question is "why" you can only use one at a time.most of them just sit around because they dont use them.i would rather take the money that they spent on other guns and use it to upgrade what i already own.i only own 4 long guns each have a specific purpose.

rem 870,that i use for birds and turkey shoots,and skeet

browning bps,that i use for deer hunting

cva 50cal muzzelloader

and a 22 for plinking,teaching kid st shoot

and i am thinking about getting a blackpowder pistol just for playing around

I think this is a rediculous, inflamatory thread given current events. Everyone is upset and emotional, and the last thing we need is to be challenged by one of our "own", especially a Moderator. I know you like to contribute a lot of threads, but the timing is really bad for this one.

I would also advise against people listing all the guns they own on the web. It's just not a smart move.

In time, when things calm down and people can respond with calmer heads, I would be happy to see this thread.
But for now, as far as I'm concerned it's like throwing gas on the fire. Just my opinion. -Dive4blood

bucktales
12-16-2012, 09:29 AM
All of mine fell overboard when a rogue wave hit while I was cleaning them.

StoneCrusher
12-16-2012, 12:02 PM
I agree that it may not be best to list all the guns you own.

I have 2 elementry kids and 1 middle school kid and the recent events probably made me even sadder since I have little ones. While there were horrible events recently, I don't see how talking about "guns" on a "hunting website" has anything to do with the recent events of a lunatic killing inocent kids.

I have as many guns as I need.
With that said, I have conceal carry, I hunt squirels, ducks/geese, ML, trap/skeet, deer, bear, wild hogs, turkey, Elk, and long range game like pronghorn. If there was one gun that did it all, maybe I would just own one. but there isn't, so I choose to own guns that are the right tool for the job.

It is just like vehicles, you should have the proper vehicle for the job. driving a truck for commuting is not a good idea if you are trying to save gas.

pepperdawg
12-16-2012, 12:09 PM
I think this is a rediculous, inflamatory thread given current events. Everyone is upset and emotional, and the last thing we need is to be challenged by one of our "own", especially a Moderator. I know you like to contribute a lot of threads, but the timing is really bad for this one.

I would also advise against people listing all the guns they own on the web. It's just not a smart move.

In time, when things calm down and people can respond with calmer heads, I would be happy to see this thread.
But for now, as far as I'm concerned it's like throwing gas on the fire. Just my opinion. -Dive4blood

Well said......

Dive4Blood
12-16-2012, 02:06 PM
I don't see how talking about "guns" on a "hunting website" has anything to do with the recent events of a lunatic killing inocent kids.

Turn on the television, radio, or go to the grocery store. Everyone is talking about "guns" and it's not sounding positive for us. It's like we are all on trial as gun owners.

We're already in an anti gun political climate in a lot of this country. Tragic currrent events and emotions do influence converstions and decisions people make. When a Mod starts a thread questioning how many guns we need, and why we need them, and claims they just sit and don't get used much, it rings a bell of familiarity that we hear from the antis.

With that laid out for you, maybe you'll understand that this thread could likely upset fellow gun owners who already feel like their rights are on the chopping block with the current administration. In these times, anything is possible.

Speaking for myself, like many others that have carried a pack and a rifle for this country, I take it real personal when I start getting questioned on my guns and justifying what, how many, or why I need them.
They are not just toys "for playing around" as the orginal poster stated.
I consider them the instruments of my liberty.

All gun owners should be preparing to argue and defend your rights to own and carry. Just thought it would be wise to give us a little breathing room with this stuff. A little foresight will tell you that we're gonna be debating topics like this a lot in the near future, and it's probably gonna get ugly. -Dive

Diver414
12-16-2012, 04:04 PM
"If I owned guns" lol i would own many. Each with there own purpose. Some would be fun to shoot, others are not so fun, but more practical. Some might be cheap to shoot, others might be expensive. But when the day ends as long as ways don't over exceed means, then so be it. That's for me, personally I don't care how many my neighbors own... But ill recommend they have "a few".

TooManyHobbies
12-16-2012, 04:13 PM
It doesn't matter how many I need or think I need, this is still the United States of America and we have the right to own guns. So, if I have one, or 100, that is my right and my business. I'm a law abiding citizen. D4B, and millions of other U.S. soldiers' service have guaranteed those rights. 'nuff said.

Diver414
12-16-2012, 06:58 PM
TMH- ill back what you just said ANY DAY!!! Well said...