PDA

View Full Version : 4th day hunt private land

BigOutdoors
11-18-2007, 06:01 AM
this post should have been under deer harvast reports,but it isnt.my buddy that got the spike called me and was running late,and the new guy was going to a field trail in windsor.i got to my spot at 6 am,no wind and cold,just like i like it.i sat there for 20 min and i took out the doe can bleat.i have heard stories on how well they work,but never had much luck,but decieded to give it a try.i did it 3 times and put it away.with in 10 min the was a snap behind me i look nice 6 pointer walking about 30 yard away,never knew i was there.i picked up on hin,and there was too much brush,i scanned in front of him found an openninghe walk into the openning,i found the front shoulder and fired,he run up the hill and off the property,i couldnt get another shot off,but i felt comfortable with the shot.i waited for and hour and a half,then went looking for blood,nothing where i shot him.i followed the tracks where he ran,up at the top of the hill i found a pool of blood.i radioed to my buddy i found blood.i unloaded my gun,and left it at the stone wall at the edge of our property,and started to follow the trail,my buddy caught up to me,to help.to make this story a little shorter,we track im untill dark,found 4 places where he layed down,with alot of blood.he ended up makeing a complete circle,we lost the blood about 50 yds from where i shot,just makes me sick losing a deer like that,i didnt sleep very well last nite,and i am going out today to look again.this will make the second deer i lost in 18 years

Andy
11-18-2007, 06:13 AM
I bet you find him dead this morning* hope the yotes dont find him first..
Let us know how you make out Tom if you need another tracker shoot me a pm..

BigOutdoors
11-18-2007, 06:34 AM
thanks andy,we should be all set,there will be 4 of us,and one of them is bringing the new lite that makes the blood show better,going to head out in an hour

Andy
11-18-2007, 06:55 AM
Did you mark the trail so you could see his pattern ?
How far did he go before he layed down? it sounds like a liver shot to me* ::)

BigOutdoors
11-18-2007, 07:04 AM
yes,i used sticks and surveyors ribbon placed by each drop of blood.its hard to judge,due to the very thick cover he went,it was somewhere around 100 yds.yes we came to that idea.the shot felt good,but i most likely jerked the trigger.i did this a couple of years back,thought the gun was off and shot at a target,gun was fine, just operator failer,days like yesterday,makes me want to stick to fishing

Andy
11-18-2007, 07:24 AM
I am sure you will find him today he might be still alive if it was a liver shot...

11-18-2007, 08:21 AM
I certainly understand that feelin you get when you dont find the deer.I lost one a few years back while bow hunting.The only good part to that deer was we believe he lived till the following year when my buddy shot an 8 ptr that when skinned out had a broad head scar just over his front shoulders. Seems the arrow never hit a bone or vital.

Anyway I hope you have good luck on recovery today . If it turns out you dont find it just get back out tommorow and shoot another and the feeling will subside.On another note there were probably numerous deer hit by cars yesterday that went to waste except for the fact that the birds and yotes need to eat also .

BigOutdoors
11-18-2007, 03:03 PM
well we got back at 2;30,all of us are whipped,and didnt find him.we did pick up more of the blood trail,from where we lost it yesterday.that light is amazing,it makes the blood spots glow.we would have never picked up thoes spots in the maple leaves.we didnt hear any crows or see any turkey buzzard,we finally lost the trail in some very thick cover,i couldnt even crawl through it,we spent time circleing the the area and nothing
thanks for the kind words,i know it a part of hunting,but it sucks anyway,on the good side,we did see alot of deer and alot of trees torn up,i got some pics untill the batteries went dead,i will post,when i download and resize them

Andy
11-18-2007, 03:49 PM
Sorry to hear you didnt find him you did everything that you could possiably do .
It does happen to use sooner or later i lost a few and still think about it..
Get back out tomorrow and shoot another i think with the weather will get them moving if it snows...

BigOutdoors
11-18-2007, 04:17 PM
i am looking forward to monday,this morning i wasnt.after seeing all the deer,and trees close to the property,its got my blood flowing again

11-18-2007, 09:32 PM
Sorry you did'nt find him .There's always the possibility he will live .Just was'nt meant to be .Go find the one markin up the trees .