View Full Version : Can't seem to find the answer on NJ websites. Bowhunting on private property

08-22-2012, 12:08 AM
My father owns 8 acres in one area, and about 35-40 in another location. Just curious if without getting any permits or anything through NJ, if its his land and I have his permission can I hunt on it? Not really that big of a deal to get some paperwork done if I need to, just not there that often, but whenever I am down there I always see a nice group move through.

08-22-2012, 06:52 AM
Mike to bowhunt down here you'll a non-resident license. for the first part of the season that's all you need. For the extended bow season you'll need the permit for whatever zone the land lies in. Hope that helps.

08-22-2012, 10:25 AM
Mike, Where in NJ?

The only exemption from licenses for landowners in NJ is the Farmer License Exemption - You may want to call Fishd and wildlife to verify though. http://www.state.nj.us/dep/fgw/hntlicfe.htm

Farmer License Exemption
A farmer and the immediate members of the family who also reside on the farm may hunt, trap and fish on the farm without being licensed or possessing a valid rifle permit (a farm is defined as an area of at least 5 acres and having gross income of at least $500, and tax assessed as farmland).
This exemption does not apply to a tenant or employee who is not an immediate family member.

There is a whole section in the hunting guide on page 28 of this section of the hunting guide: http://www.state.nj.us/dep/fgw/pdf/2011/dighnt22-33.pdf Basically it has to be a working and tax assed farm.

NJ is out of control with their permit seasons and zones. Example, your regular archery license ($135.50) will cover the normal archery season (4 weeks in October). If you want to hunt the Permit Archery season (month of November mostly) you need to buy a Archery permit and you need one for every zone you plan to hunt. So if your dad's land was in two zones, that means two permits ($28 each). Then if you want to shoot a buck during the permit season you need to buy the buck permit which is another $28. You only need one of them, not zone specific for a grand total of $191.50 (license, one permit and one buck permit).

And if you want to gun hunt, tack another $135.50 on for the license and then all the damn permits for extended season, ML, etc. It' highway robbery.

If I didn't have friends and family down there I might give it up completely....ok, maybe not because I love hunting the GAP!!! Miles and miles of state and federal land to roam...love it.

08-22-2012, 03:42 PM
the 8 acres is in burlington twnship, burlington county. The larger plot is in Pemberton. I know the 8 acres is farmland assessed, but i dont know about the one in pemberton(pretty sure it is but i know they lease the land to local farmers)

Yea that all sounds crazy, it might not even be worth it this season. I just figured if it was going to be easy enough with permits I would give it a try.