PDA

View Full Version : S&W M&P15-22 hunting?

hawkman
06-13-2012, 05:22 PM
Hi all,
I'm new to the site and relatively new to firearms, (about 3 years). I recently bought a Smith and Wesson M&P 15-22 for plinking and AR familiarity. I've been thinking about getting into hunting and I wanted to see if anyone here uses the 15-22 for small game (squirrel, I think to start). If so are there any tricks or traps that I should be aware of? I'm trying to get into one of the DEP hunting classes to get my license, but no room in one yet. Right now I'm just working on getting accurate and smooth with the rifle.

I know that many of the tree rat hunters here use a shotgun, and I am interested in one in the future, but do not presently have one.

Anyway, this place is great for local resources and general/ specific information. Thanks in advance!

Eric

Dive4Blood
06-13-2012, 06:40 PM
Welcome to the site. Lots of good people here. I have an M&P 15-22 also. I bought one to train a family member leaving for boot camp this summer on the fundamentals of marksmanship. Its a nice little gun that runs well. It is more than capable of shooting squirrels. Peep sites are very accurate. Just practice in offhand, kneeling, sitting, and prone as those are the positions you wil use in the field. You'll be good to go. It sucks that the hunting courses are still hard to get into. That's why I tell people to get the bow course also. Because if you decide you need it, you could sit out a season waiting for a course to get into. The trapping courses are even harder to get into. Good Luck.

TooManyHobbies
06-13-2012, 06:40 PM
Hawkman, welcome aboard. Can't help with the S&W, but only use will tell if it's a good hunter.

Jimfire85
06-14-2012, 08:02 AM
I prefer using a shotgun but on more than one occasion while farting around in the woods I've shot them with a Frankenstein rifle I have with a .22 conversion. Ran into a a conservation officer and after the formalities of license checking etc, he thought it it was pretty neat. Use what works and if the fudds give you the stink eye hold up your limit of bushy tails with a you know what eating grin. AR platform rifles are too fun to leave at home.

.410 sxs
06-14-2012, 10:33 AM
yeah i think its a catch 22( no pun intended) hunting squirrles these days with a .22 lr.

I know it has been traditional and i have shot my fair share out of trees, but it is rare you get a safe back stop when shooting them out of a tree.

and rarely do you see them on the ground. I built a really sweet bolt action single shot for my son to shoot squirrles, that I have stolen back...I love shooting that thing.

but with most places in the crowded northeast its hard to send those bullets into the air with a good conscience. a .410 is a better choice...but i know that doesnt help you and your question..

if the rifle is accurate enough.( and it needs to be , to cleanly pick them off) it doesnt matter what format the rifle is.

good luck

.410sxs

DeerSniper
06-14-2012, 10:50 AM
Welcome to the site and good luck getting into the class I have friends that have been tryin for a while you almost need to look every day cause when one opens up it fills up the next day. I don't own a AR style .22 but I've got 2 AR-15's for coyote an zombie hunting and I'm building an AR-10 in .308 for deer hunting it is a great rifle. The few times I have gone squirrel hunting it has always been with my 10/22 makes it a lot more fun than with a shotgun if you ask me.

Dive4Blood
06-14-2012, 11:07 AM
Does CT offer an online Hunter Safety Course? You might be able to take a safety course in NY, MA, or RI. It should reciprocate to CT. My CT certificates have worked for me out of state plenty of times.

hawkman
06-14-2012, 01:48 PM
Connecticut does offer a "home study" course where you complete all of the course work at home and then have to do a "field day" where they check your firearms handling and such. I'm not sure that it even makes sense becasue if I can get one Saturday free then I can get another Saturady free. Plus they don't have as many "field days" as classes. There are currently none scheduled per the website. It's a good idea to check the surrounding states. Perhaps I'll post the question to the EnConn board to see if there is a recipriocal agreement. Also I'm a Norwalk resident, and I work in Armonk, NY so the weekday (evening) classes (where there is still room open in one class) are not an option for me. There is a class this weekend so I am hoping that they will schedule another one in the Fall, which the open season that I am targeting. I just need to find an open course!

TooManyHobbies
06-14-2012, 03:50 PM
You could try to "just show up". Many times, a registered person won't show and the instructor will let you sit in.

AGust82
06-14-2012, 08:31 PM
You could try to "just show up". Many times, a registered person won't show and the instructor will let you sit in.

This method actually works out quite often. People always no-show to the classes. Also you could call the number on the website and ask for the contact info of the instructor of the class you'd want. Send him an email and ask. They get frustrated about the no-showers too and may let you join. I spent a ton of time looking for a bowhunting course. When I finally got into one only 14 out of 30 registered people showed up. Very annoying to say the least having to check the site twice day only to get beat out by people like that.

Chefjlevy87
06-14-2012, 08:40 PM
+1 on just show up... I don't think they would turn you away, both my firearms and bow hunting classes had no shows...