PDA

View Full Version : NJ Muzzle Loader Camp 2011

passinthru63
12-04-2011, 07:06 PM
Got back from camp Wednesday and just now getting some time to post about Muzzle Loader Camp.

Short story - hunting stunk, food and drink was good and friends and stories were better. 12 guys, 2 shots and 1 5 pointer for the meat pole.

Long story

We arrived at camp around noon and got unloaded and started on some snacks like Venison dip along with some cheese and crackers. I'll have to post the venison dip recipes because it is a good one and Ray has been making it now for a few years. A few guys headed out to check their hunting spots, others got their gear ready and the rest of us got things setup. The camp is a large cabin with 4 bunk rooms that sleep 4 in each room. Larger living area with fireplace - which we definitely didn't need with the warm weather, but we used it anyway just our of spite. Full kitchen and 3 bathrooms, 2 with showers. Dinner was beef loin, with garlic and cheese mashed potatoes, mixed veggies and roles. Dessert was some more of Ray's wife Shirely's treats - chocolate cheese cake, carrot cake and lemon balls. She treats us to damn good. With the warm weather forecast for the AM no one was overally excited, but we had a few Drambuie night caps and called it a night around 10pm.

Wake up was at 4am and the coffee was already brewed when most of us finally crawled out of the the sack. A quick trip outside to see how warm it was just depressed us. Temps were supposed to reach mid 60s and they did. 7 of the guys headed off the mountain to hunt along the river and the rest of us stayed up top. I got on stand early and was fighting the bugs well before the sun came up over the mountain. Two days before December and I should have taken a beach blanket and suntan lotion instead of blaze orange and a muzzle loader. There was very little shooting around us and the same could be said for PA (opening day of their rifle season). It was a very quiet morning with only a few deer sighted and CTChuck tagging the first deer of the day, which was a 5 point buck. The guys in the cabin next to us took a nice 8 pointer but that was all we had seen or heard for the AM. After running into town and checking in Chuck's deer we headed off the mountain to meet up with the rest of the crew and to try a driver or two. At 63 degrees I was not very excited about being a driver and should would have preferred to be a stander on this one. As we were setting up the standers, Bill K's son Eric had a deer jump up and run down into the brush and he let his old sidelock rip and it was a clean miss. JerseyJim, James, Justfish2, and I pushed out one of our favorites spots and never moved a single deer (we took 3 on this drive last year). We got to the end of the drive and JerseyJim busted a woodcock and has he looked down and saw a dead deer and immediately thought it was Eric's but it had been dead for a while and was stiff as a door. After the drive it was about 3:30 and us drivers were soaked so we head back up to the cabin for a shower. Dinner was venison baked ziti, salad and garlic bread. After dinner there was plenty of story telling going on and we even sat out side on the deck in T-shirts.

Tuesday morning found the temps at 50 again and foggy with plenty of patches of rain coming our way. It started out the same with most of the guys heading off the mountain and Ray, Billy, Justfish2, CTchuck, Cleatus and myself staying up top. One small 4 pointer was all that was seen as we toughed out the rain and the 30 yard visibility issues with the fog. We headed back to the cabin just as the skies were opening up for the hardest of the rain. Justfish2 and James decided to take a walk as the rest of us starting packing and getting ready to head home. No sense getting soaked when no one was out to help move the deer. Tuesday just plain sucked. We were on our way back to CT by 3pm, of course that was after a stop at the Alpine German Deli to spend some money.

We didn't have a good camp as far as deer on the meat pole is concerned but as always we had plenty of laughs with friends and family along with some great food.

I'll be heading back down this Wednesday for a few days of bear hunting during the six day firearms season. Hope it gets colder.

JToys
12-04-2011, 08:43 PM
Awesome report, going to poor me a drabuie now!!!

Andy
12-05-2011, 07:53 AM
Another great report too bad the weather was like here .
Its been a tough year to hunt weather wise warm and way too much rain .
Great comrade like always :icon_e_smile:

murphy617
12-05-2011, 08:07 AM
looks like fun! is this an outfitter or just a rented cabin?

passinthru63
12-05-2011, 08:40 AM
It is just a rented cabin. This area used to be an old boy scout camp in the middle of the federal land and the Appalachian Mountain Club took it over and has improved it greatly. They have year round rentals of cabins and camp sites as well as all kinds of activities. You can see the Mohican Outdoor Center on the AMC website at: http://www.outdoors.org/lodging/mohican/index.cfm

The Appalachian trail runs right by the camp so it gets plenty of hiker traffic during the hiking season and on weekends. Nice and quiet for us hunters during the week though.