PDA

View Full Version : Got my NJ bear permit today

passinthru63
11-21-2011, 03:11 PM
I had missed the damn deadline for the black bear permit lottery and the tags went on sale today at 10am. There were 328 permits availble for the zone I hunt at 10am, and ther are only 93 left.

prior to sales at 10am today:

A total of 10,000 black bear hunting permits, allocated by black bear hunting areas, were initially available to properly licensed hunters and farmer hunters. The numbers of permits which will be available when the OTC sale begins are as follows:

Bear Hunting Area 1: 328
Bear Hunting Area 2: 1,729
Bear Hunting Area 3: 1,817
Bear Hunting Area 4: 1,286

AS of 3pm.

Zone Description Zone Leftover Available
Bear Sussex/Warren 1 68
Bear Sussex/Warren/Morris 2 1460
Bear Sussex/Warren/Morris/Bergen 3 1590
Bear Warren/Hunterdon/Morris/Somerset/Sussex 4 1152

Permit cost was a whopping $2.00. I think that is worth the try and trip.

TooManyHobbies
11-21-2011, 06:15 PM
10,000 permits for a small state seems like a lot. How many bears do the estimate in NJ?
What are the legal methods of take? Bait, dogs, or just hunt like deer?
Good luck.

passinthru63
11-22-2011, 11:18 AM
It may seem like a lot of permits, but based on the success rate it probably isn't. The hunt runs the same 6 days as 6 day firearms so most folks are hunting deer and probably look at this as a well if I see one type of opportunity. If there was a separate bear season I think the harvest would be larger and they would have to cut the permit allocation.

Here is a link to the DEP Black Bear information page: http://www.njfishandwildlife.com/bearseason_info.htm

During 2010, division biologists and technicians tagged 333 bears in preparation for the season, of which 299 were available for harvest prior to the season opening. Fifty-four (54) of these bears were harvested. Using this data, the population was estimated to be approximately 3,278 in the area open to hunting, a figure very close (less than 4.8% difference) to the previously determined estimate (3,438) based on the East Stroudsburg University DNA study. These two estimates are very similar; the difference can be attributed to the different methods used to calculate the population estimates.

You can only use shotgun with slugs only or Muzzle loaders. Baiting is allowed with some exceptions. No dogs. This hunt is all about population control and they strongly urge you to take the first bear you see if he offers up a shot opportunity and not to trophy hunt.

Andy
11-22-2011, 12:06 PM
Great!!!!!
Good luck harvesting a Bear do you see any while deer hunting down there?
I knew someone who hunted down there always came back with deer he would call me up on the way home to see if i would butcher them for him back then i was doing a lot of butchering now i just do my own ..

JToys
11-22-2011, 12:53 PM
Passin, I'm very interested in doing a bear hunt. Never did it before is it to late? What's involved and how would you reccomend a new person try it.

passinthru63
11-22-2011, 02:36 PM
We always see bear during our deer hunts. One time in the spring during a 4 day turkey hunt I saw 17 different bears. Another time on a youth shotgun hunt we saw 8 bears and 2 deer. of course with my luck I won't see a single bear during my hunt. :icon_winkle:

The hunt is the week of Dec 5th so you probably missed this year, especially seeing NJ requires a special Bear hunter Education class before you can purchase a permit.