PDA

View Full Version : 165 lb buck on the ground yesterday afternoon.

Homestead
11-05-2011, 09:23 PM
I went out after work yesterday with a friend from work, it was his land so he chose where he wanted to go and I went the other way to find a decent spot. I set up in the same area I had 2 years ago hoping for some luck. The only tree that was in a spot that I could shot into was a 12- 14" silver birch. So I cabled up my climber as small as it would go ,then went and put two mock scrapes on the ground with doe in heat scent wicks in the brush. Went back to the climber and began to climb this little tree being careful to be sure it was biting into the tree well enough and managed to climb about 15feet and I ratchet strapped it to the tree for safety. I hadn't seen or heard anything but tree rats so around 5:10 I figured I would try the grunt tube as a last effort for the afternoon. I began to grunt like I had heard in the woods a few years ago, good solid deep grunts one after the other (sounding like a hungry pig)while turning my head in different directions. I had no sooner put my arm down when I heard the sound of hoove falls coming in from directly behind me. He came in fast and was zig zaging through the thicker underbrush and I could not tell what it had for antlers or how big he was. The way he was coming in I couldn't tell which side of the tree he would pass on then he finally caught the scent of my scrape and doe urine. While he passed at less then ten yards under a pine tree next to me I could make out his rack, a spike on the right side and a really nice branch antler with I think 4 pts on the left side. He continued toward the scent but walking away from me and while he was still behind the pine I drew my 63 lb PSE Carrera with 60% let off and waited for him to step out of the brush. He got near the scent wick and was acting like a nervous dog, his body completely stretched out as far as he could reach and sniffing the scent wick. I still could not shoot there were a couple of branches across his chest and I wouldn't risk it. Just as I began to feel myself start shaking he walked out a little more to the right and was now open for a quartering away shot at 15 yards. I put the pin behind his right shoulder and let fly with my XX75 2314 arrow tipped with a 1 3/4 inch 100 gr Wasp JAK-HAMMER- SST . The arrow hit him with a very loud whack, louder then I am used to hearing and he took to running away with my arrow hanging out of his side. Now I am begining to get a little nervous because my arrow has gone through every deer I have ever killed but two and I could see 10 -12 inches sticking out of this one as he ran. I could tell he was having a hard time running and i heard some crashing but, still unsure of the shot I got down packed up and went back to the truck. I met up with my buddy and we went in looking for it, here is where the story gets a little strange. Knowing there was no exit wound I thought the blood trail would be hard to find but it wasn't, my buddy picked right up on it and we were able to follow it fairly easily. Following the blood and sign with head lamps we located my arrow covered in good blood and we began to smell him ahead of us and knew he was close, we came up on some of the spots where he had crashed and we shined the light ahead of us and there he was lying in the leaves. We walk up on the deer's right side and see the spike and now I am really wanting to see the other side so we roll him over and the antler is gone, broke clean off just above the burr! :angry:We searched for an hour for the antler and couldn't find it, we didn't have time today to go look for it so sometime Sunday we will hopefully find it. He is the best buck I have killed with my bow in a few years and a good one to take out of the herd. The arrow went through the ribs on his right side , took the top of the heart and shattered his left shoulder, that's why he was crashing so often as he tried to run, l'll get some pics to put up hopefully it will be with the antler.

Horizontal Hunter
11-05-2011, 09:50 PM
Congratulations Homestead. I am looking forward to the pictures. Is it easy to re-attach the antler that broke off?

Bob

bigbuckdown1979
11-05-2011, 09:53 PM
Congratulations Homestead. I am looking forward to the pictures. Is it easy to re-attach the antler that broke off?

Bob

yeah just use a lil bit of buck tape and call it good!!! lol sorry its a bad attempt at a joke

DeerSniper
11-05-2011, 10:14 PM
Congrats! I can't wait to see the pictures he sounds interesting. What type of estrus were you using?

MoodusHunter
11-05-2011, 10:39 PM
congrats! good luck on finding the antler, they somehow disapear quickly

StoneCrusher
11-06-2011, 12:34 AM
Nice job, looking fwd to seeing pics of him.

Andy
11-06-2011, 06:12 AM
Nice job John too bad the antler broke off the mice will run off with it pretty fast if you dont find it right away.

vanbowhunts
11-06-2011, 06:19 AM
Awesome story, Congrats on a excellent hunt! Looking forward to the pics!!

farmerjim
11-06-2011, 07:01 AM
congrats homestead can't wait for the pics sounds like a great hunt and track.

passinthru63
11-06-2011, 07:03 AM
congrats on the buck John. I'm sure you can repair his antler. Hope you find it.

OFB
11-06-2011, 08:08 AM
Way to go John congratulations on your buck!!!

Homestead
11-06-2011, 08:49 AM
The grunt was a Primos buck growler with the snort weeze, sounds awesome to me anyway and to this buck it comes with an arm band.
The scent was a HS scrape kit from Walmart, came with scent wicks,lickin stick spray,
2 drop (buck urine maybe), estrous scent spray and a 3.5 hr hunting dvd for $19.99. Kinda thought I couldn't go wrong at that price, worse case I had a decent video to watch but, it all worked out and it was a good video. Now I need to go get some more scent before next weekend. He was the first deer with that type of antlers that I have shot, the landowner says there are a couple more around hopfully we can get them out of the herd. He was a very healthy deer with a good supply of fat, neck was swollen and he stunk like the rut. It's starting!
I can't imagine how hard that buck had to have hit that antler to break it off, I have not had that happen to me before ,hopefully we can find it today. As far as repairs, depends on how bad it is busted up if there are pieces mising it will be more difficult. I am just hoping we find it and it is in good shape so it could be an easy fix.

TooManyHobbies
11-06-2011, 03:55 PM
Congrats John. Nice to see someone is having luck.
I'll bet he bounced off a tree, look near tree or rocks if not where he fell. Had to be something hard to knock it off.

cthonkerheaven
11-06-2011, 04:51 PM
Congrats john!

Deuce
11-06-2011, 05:40 PM
Congrats John!

KJB
11-21-2011, 02:09 PM
John congratulations on your buck

nehunter
11-21-2011, 03:11 PM
Nice Job! Congratulation's!
Your on a roll this year, 2 nice Bucks and its not even Muzzleloader season!