PDA

View Full Version : need a little help or luck on this one

danno1993
11-01-2011, 10:28 PM
SI have been helping a friend track a buck that he put a 14yd shot ( decent lung according to him). shot was taken monday at 430pm. he began tracking a little after 5 and followed real heavy bloutood trail for over 200yds thn the blood spots started to thin out but still were decent. they must have pushed him to the edge of the cliff which was about a mile from where the shot was taken. as they stopped for the night and pulled out goin around thw cliff then deer must have heard them n turned back on the trail it came in on. whem I started woth them this morning we found more blood but very sparce about 1 drop per 100ft. we spooked a few deer out in the valley between two cliffs about a hundred yards from where we last saw blood an there was a straggler which could habe been him. so we heades to that locatiom am foumd a.little bit more blood but it was gettin to the pont where it waa 1 drop every few hundred feet. we gave up am decides followed a set of fresh track around a ridge and through a field and a swamp till the tracks stopped at.the edge of thw swamp. we searxhed thw edge of thw swam and could fimd anything. this was almost 2 milea from the shot site.we pulled out and are heading back in in the mong for a final shot at it.. we think that.he mst that have gotten around us and heades back towards thw shot aite where a bumch of does that we spooked towards that way when we were looking for blood after we picked.up the tracks in the morning. what do you think we should do? any advice?..sorry for the awful spelling, ita hard to keep thia goin mormal.on my droid with awful service

flatlander
11-01-2011, 10:34 PM
Put on some waders and get out into the swamp.

danno1993
11-01-2011, 10:39 PM
I walked through it. wasnt very deep and wasnt that big but we werent able to find any tracks that came out of it. its just a really confusing problem. I cant really explain it, I dont understand how it could go that far after losing that much blood. is it possible that it clotted up alot and will survive?

Spotted Crow
11-02-2011, 04:34 AM
Deer are amazing. But what sounds like A " double lung" sounds more like a no mans land shot. If he hit that spot sure he could live! But i would go back to the beginning and start over. You may have missed something. You may have even walked right by.look for that distinct odor of him you should be able to smell him if your close.

StoneCrusher
11-02-2011, 06:42 AM
yup, keep looking until you have exhausted all options. What did the arrow look like? covered in blood? what color was the blood?

Your only option may be for you and a friend to map the area out like a grid and walk back and forth. and that grid/checkboard like pattern. Keep you eyes open. it is sometime easier to find them without snow on the ground.
If he is dead, the weather has been failry cold and probably the meat is still good.

recurvehunter79
11-02-2011, 08:05 AM
Pay attention for vultures, I saw them circling where a buck of mine died within a half a day. I would also focus on the water and make sure you check all the thickets. The deer might not be mortaly wounded, might survive or die of septic shock in awhile. Seems like you are really giving it a 100% which is the right thing to do. Good luck!

Quinnsolo12
11-02-2011, 10:11 AM
Sometimes they will circle back. What kind of broadheads was he using and how long did you wait before tracking? there are a ton of factors that go into this.
Just keep looking.... good luck.

cthonkerheaven
11-02-2011, 11:12 AM
Get a few guys and walk kt hard, most of my deer circled back around

danno1993
11-02-2011, 11:28 AM
Looks like were all on the same page with starting over and mapping out the area.. I drew a crude little map last night with what I could remember n my main thought was that it came out of the swamp and followed the stream and uphill and followed some does that were headed that way.. the arrow was covered in blood. the blood was really brighy redand didnt have any bubbles in it from what we could see. he was shooting G5 Strikers. were he.aded out in a few to start over.

GSPHUNTER23
11-02-2011, 12:00 PM
The first buck I ever shot did the same thing to me. I shot him at 4Pm and didnt find him until 9PM. After hiking up a mountain and covering ever square inch of the property I was hunting I remembered hearing something about deer going to water when they are injured. There he was, floating in the lake about 100 yards from where i hit him.

MoodusHunter
11-02-2011, 12:05 PM
I'll bet he hit the deer above the lungs but below spine. I hit a buck there once (also a close shot) and the buck ran forever with what looks like a good amount of blood loss. The deer lived, I saw him a few weeks later. They will go forever with the shot I mentioned and I've seen deer live with a one lung shot as well.

danno1993
11-02-2011, 10:59 PM
put in another 5 hrs today.. we looked over every inch of the property. we started at thebeginning till the end but most of the blood was gone as was the snow, but we did manage to find a nice puddle of blood wherr it looks like he stopped for a bit then took off when they got to close the first night.. other than that nothing.. a few new tracks in some of the anow but nothin close to his size... no birds either or new signs of coyotes being in there. my guess is that the shot went between the spine n lungs like moodus said amd that it eventually clotted up an tll survive.. it must have gotten around us somewhere r the swamp and hill and headed back up hill and off the property. hopefully he'll another shot at him.atleast we tried pretty damn hard to find it .. overall he put in 4hrs the first night aand we put in 8 yesterday and 5 today. so I dont think thats throwing in the towel at all!

vanbowhunts
11-03-2011, 06:28 AM
It happens Danno even to the best of shots...while hard, you have to put it behind you at this point and move forward! Learn from your mistakes, and remember rule 1 when in doubt back out...

Even if I know I have a good hit, unless I see the deer go down I'll wait at least 30 mins before tracking, a lot of times I'll take all my stuff to my truck before taking up the trail, this gives me time to reflect and replay everything in my head.

I'll check the impact spot, look for my arrow, this typically will give me my 30mins before taking up the trail....then depending on the sign..I'll go from there...if I go over 200yds, and I've not found that animal yet I may wait some more before going forward...typically if you have a good shot on an animal and don't push it...it should be done within 200yds of where you shot it, sometimes not, but most times yes.

Best of luck, get back on it!

~ Van

cthonkerheaven
11-03-2011, 08:24 AM
Never throw in the towel, i agree with van, i always wait thirty minutes after the shot, the couple times where i followed the blood trail more then a hundred yards or bumped the deer that i shot, i slowly back out and give it a few hours, they up bedding down and dying there, if you guys were folowing that trail for tht long,that buck with adrenaline and high shot would just keep running, if you back, more likely it will bed and either clot and live or bleed and die, let us know, what own are you in? Id come take a long, sometimes get on the hill and scan with binoculars is better! Ill come help if your close

danno1993
11-03-2011, 12:40 PM
the land he is on is on the meriden/kensington line. i dont hunt on this land "yet" but i hope to soon. the owners said it was fine that i helped track with my friend and hopefully theyll let me on here. we both had binoculars and scanned just about everything that we could from the ridges them walked around everywhere. We definitely learned alot from this track and now we have a better idea on what to do and what to not do. thanks everyone for all of your help and advice. :) we dont see any other options as to it eventually clotted up and took off. the property has very steep cliffs on 2 sides and houses with high fences on the south side, so the only thing we can think of is that it headed north and away from us. hopefully my friend will get some more pictures on the camera of him. he was a regular visitor to the trail his stand was on so mayb he'll stick around in the area.

cthonkerheaven
11-03-2011, 01:55 PM
How big of deer is it danno? Did he give him proper time o bleed after the hot? Kensington is a haul but i may be up for taking a walk, def curious how big it was!

danno1993
11-03-2011, 02:01 PM
it was a small bodied 7pt. that was walking a couple hundred feet behind a doe that was bigger than it. he took the shot at about 430 and let it go until about 530. the landowners son took a 5 pt the day after too almost in the same spot. they have a bunch of deer that stick around there with a real big 9pt on camera.

cthonkerheaven
11-03-2011, 02:03 PM
Nice! Well good luck,message me if you need anything

CT Bowhunter
11-03-2011, 02:06 PM
I agree with moodushunter he hit the deer in the non vital area above the lungs and under the spine. I've never seen a deer hit in the lungs go further than 75 yds. Its a common thing when shooting close shots from a treestand, the arrow will be high so you need to compensate. good luck