PDA

View Full Version : You snooze, you lose...

joemichael
10-15-2011, 03:12 PM
So I went out this morning to an area I haven't deer hunted before, but I've seen several deer there while scouting and turkey hunting. I carried in my climber this morning, a little later than I would have liked. Around 7:15ish I've just climbed a tree and I'm about to strap my harness to the tree. Some motion catches my eye and I see a deer who stops 30 yds broadside. He was either a fork or a small 6, I couldn't tell, but I'm still trying to tag my first deer so I would have gladly taken him. My bow was on the ground below me, and I knew if I tried to pull it up he'd spot me and the dangling bow. So I waited there for a few minutes while he just stood there, up wind of me, perfectly broadside. Then he calmly walked away and I get settled into my stand. Ok, now I'm remembering my alarm going off this morning at 5:45, and I was so tired I felt like I couldn't move so I hit snooze and got up ten minutes later. That ten minutes would have made all the difference!! I really need to start getting up earlier!

I also bumped one on the way in, and bumped one on the way out. It was a beautiful day out and at least I saw some deer. I'm just kicking myself for dragging my butt this morning!

StoneCrusher
10-15-2011, 04:46 PM
I don't know if it is random or not; but many times while using my climber and getting up 15'+, in runs a deer. Many times it is a buck, but sometimes it is a doe.

I have a strong feeling that my climber makes a noise similar to a deer rubbing his antlers on a tree. This is why I climb with my bow/Gun on the top part of the climber. Probably not a good idea, but I have taken a lot of deer within 10 minutes of climbing the tree.

Broadhead Joe
10-15-2011, 05:14 PM
Hey stonecrusher do you want to sell that climber? lol

Horizontal Hunter
10-15-2011, 06:19 PM
So I went out this morning to an area I haven't deer hunted before, but I've seen several deer there while scouting and turkey hunting. I carried in my climber this morning, a little later than I would have liked. Around 7:15ish I've just climbed a tree and I'm about to strap my harness to the tree. Some motion catches my eye and I see a deer who stops 30 yds broadside. He was either a fork or a small 6, I couldn't tell, but I'm still trying to tag my first deer so I would have gladly taken him. My bow was on the ground below me, and I knew if I tried to pull it up he'd spot me and the dangling bow. So I waited there for a few minutes while he just stood there, up wind of me, perfectly broadside. Then he calmly walked away and I get settled into my stand. Ok, now I'm remembering my alarm going off this morning at 5:45, and I was so tired I felt like I couldn't move so I hit snooze and got up ten minutes later. That ten minutes would have made all the difference!! I really need to start getting up earlier!

I also bumped one on the way in, and bumped one on the way out. It was a beautiful day out and at least I saw some deer. I'm just kicking myself for dragging my butt this morning!

Keep at it and you will connect. I have shot them at all hours of the day. I used to get up real early to make sure that I was in my stand at least 45 minutes before first light. I still do that now on occasion but not because of the deer; I just like to see the woods "wake up" in the morning sometimes. To me it is a special time.

IMO the best time to hunt is when you can.

There is something to what StoneCrusher says and its not just tree stands. I have had them come running in when I am packing up my setup and I believe that it is the noise that I make doing it. I hunt on the ground exclusively and I don't own a tree stand.

Bob

Fletch'N'catch
10-15-2011, 06:57 PM
I had the same thing happen to me on weds. I'm still kickin myself. i'm also on the quest for my first with a bow. so at least i know it's not just me this stuff happens to. It can get tuff to stay with it when stuff like that happens. i seem to second guess myself alot.BUt no matter what happens i try to find a positive out of the situation.. hopefully we'll both be posting our first bow harvests this year.
cheers happy hunting

Horizontal Hunter
10-15-2011, 10:47 PM
I had the same thing happen to me on weds. I'm still kickin myself. i'm also on the quest for my first with a bow. so at least i know it's not just me this stuff happens to. It can get tuff to stay with it when stuff like that happens. i seem to second guess myself alot.BUt no matter what happens i try to find a positive out of the situation.. hopefully we'll both be posting our first bow harvests this year.
cheers happy hunting

Trust your instincts and go with your gut. It will happen.

When the temps drop and things start heating up in the deer woods sit all day. I can't tell you how many deer I have shot on public land over the years between 10:00AM and 2:00PM that were bumped by other hunters going out to their vehicles for lunch and to warm up.

Bob

spike_horn
10-16-2011, 08:09 AM
You just learned a valuable lesson on why to go to bed early!!!

You're in a good spot, you'll get em!

DeerSniper
10-16-2011, 01:25 PM
Hey at least your seeing them I'm on my quest for my first too and I haven't seen one yet with about 25 hours in, but tomorrows the day for me. It sounds like you have a good spot though keep with it and hit the sack earlier next time you'll get him.

joemichael
10-16-2011, 07:05 PM
Well I took tomorrow off from work so I will be heading back out. This time i will get my butt out there earlier! Wish me luck